Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 07:47 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,745,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
I understand that there's history for why they implemented it, but it needs to change.

It's because property tax is "value based" that we're in this predicament in the first place. You don't discriminate against one class of homeowner in order to protect another. Take away the value based component of the tax, make it equally apportioned, and the issue goes away...unless of course you're the one who pays $1200/year in property tax when it should be more like $6000/year, but that was clear inequity that needs to be remedied.
I understand where you're coming from and I empathize to some extent, but I don't think abolishing prop 13 would have the effect you think. I also don't think prop 13 is to blame for the ridiculous home prices. I think it's largely due to investors. To me that's even less fair because you really have people buying who have no interest in living in the home. They just buy, then jack up the rent as often as they can. I'm all for investment property, but there have to be some kind of limits in place to protect people who just want to buy a home to live in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 08:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garek007 View Post
I understand where you're coming from and I empathize to some extent, but I don't think abolishing prop 13 would have the effect you think. I also don't think prop 13 is to blame for the ridiculous home prices. I think it's largely due to investors. To me that's even less fair because you really have people buying who have no interest in living in the home. They just buy, then jack up the rent as often as they can. I'm all for investment property, but there have to be some kind of limits in place to protect people who just want to buy a home to live in
Lots of investors pump and dump. Truthfully you want investors. Most keep their properties nice. I can tell you my rentals are immaculate and well maintained.
Not all investors jack up rent. Right now my rental is one of the best out there in the city it’s in and it’s the lowest priced for its size and condition. It’s been completely remodeled.

There is no way to limit the housing market in the way you describe. Unless it’s subsidized you cannot legislate selling affordable housing to the the public. Then it becomes a issue as to who gets the subsidy? Where does it stop? Being a homeowner isn’t a right nor does someone owe anyone affordable housing

Gett8ng rid of P13 would be disastrous for EVERY property owner in California. The only people who will win are the locusts (politicians) in the government. You think you see high taxes now? Lol wait till your taxes are based on some pulled out of someone’s azz valuation.
Talk to people who owned houses here before P13 went in effect,

Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
I agree with Proposition 13, but why can assessments be lowered during a downturn? If someone can afford what they paid they can afford the assessment on THAT price. Seems inconsistent to allow lowering but not raising based on the market.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:48 PM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I agree with Proposition 13, but why can assessments be lowered during a downturn? If someone can afford what they paid they can afford the assessment on THAT price. Seems inconsistent to allow lowering but not raising based on the market.
People lose jobs, lose income,close their businesses, no overtime in a recession. Good for you if you never experienced it. Empty bank owned houses get no one anything.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
We had that and it worked really well until it didn't.

Back when a modest home could be bought for 12 to 15k the Homeowner's Exemption of $7000 meant a lot...

As prices rose, there was a push to index the HO Exemption for inflation that got no where.

Just think if the Home Owner's Exemption still equaled 50% of the cost of a median home there would never have bee a Prop 13.

The legislature was all too happy to let the Voters decide... never thinking a Grass Roots, Ill funded campaign with every major Government and Union Group in oppositions would stand a chance....

Prop 13 was a clear example of Democracy in Action... my only regret was not being old enough at the time to have voted for it.

The only way for prices to come down is to curb Desire/Demand and/or the Money Supply...

Old 02-13-2018, 09:58 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
We had that and it worked really well until it didn't.

Back when a modest home could be bought for 12 to 15k the Homeowner's Exemption of $7000 meant a lot...

As prices rose, there was a push to index the HO Exemption for inflation that got no where.

Just think if the Home Owner's Exemption still equaled 50% of the cost of a median home there would never have bee a Prop 13.

The legislature was all too happy to let the Voters decide... never thinking a Grass Roots, Ill funded campaign with every major Government and Union Group in oppositions would stand a chance....

Prop 13 was a clear example of Democracy in Action... my only regret was not being old enough at the time to have voted for it.

The only way for prices to come down is to curb Desire and/or the Means to Pay for it...

Old 02-13-2018, 10:00 PM

1,538 posts, read 1,483,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
People lose jobs, lose income,close their businesses, no overtime in a recession. Good for you if you never experienced it. Empty bank owned houses get no one anything.

People get promotions, raises, and lots of overtime when times are good. Yet their assessments don't go up (which I'm fine with). But not as fine with having their cake and eating it too.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:24 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,897,405 times
You just have to wonder if everyone else just thinks we are insane to live here. I mean San Diego is nice and all but the median price will not even get you this falling down cracker box in our neighborhood.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2.../17075754_zpid

If I was young and starting a career and family I couldn’t see choosing this city as one with a bright future with possibilities for us which is kind of sad.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
You just have to wonder if everyone else just thinks we are insane to live here. I mean San Diego is nice and all but the median price will not even get you this falling down cracker box in our neighborhood.

If I was young and starting a career and family I couldn’t see choosing this city as one with a bright future with possibilities for us which is kind of sad.
That beautiful "craftsman" has that nice "weathered" Cape Cod look.

Old 02-18-2018, 04:17 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post

What makes all this even worse is when San Diego blows easy opportunities for economic growth. We lose on tourism to other cities on the coast that have worse weather and are less tourist friendly. There should be non stop flights from SAN to every cold weather MSA over 1 million in the country and every major city in Canada.

Remember the San Diego Amazon HQ2 thread? Almost zero enthusiasm, as Raleigh, Indianapolis, and Columbus advance. If it's going to be this expensive to live here, we need LA/Bay Area economic opportunities. We are now paying their prices in a third tier economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego