Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:50 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,481,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
JThe worst is estate taxes. Let's just take your parent's life long sweat and give it to those that either can't pay their own way or just showed up.

A lot of heirs fall into that category too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 07:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
I don't think we'll see a true correction for a while simply because inventory is so limited right now.

That said, people looking for "starter homes" (let's say priced under $500,000) are the ones who are going to face the most competition and also stretch the most to get into a SFH. They'll have to start considering areas that they might not have considered in the past. Take a look at the places where the most homes sold in December: Santee, Escondido, North Oceanside. Those have not traditionally been "hot" areas for RE sales.
Yes, I should have clarified
My reference was to the run up and overcorrection in the economy overall, not just real estate. Combination of broader economy, stocks etc and how that ultimately plays out when it trickles down to San Diego.

Some of these starter home areas, as we have chatted about RosieSD, seem just ludicrous. The trajectory they are on keeps bumping those prices up every month because of the supply. IMHO, its well out of "move up and out" after seven years to something bigger range. Its REALLY assuming that prices will stay the same or rise for that long.
I simply don't believe SD has a strong enough economy to sustain that trend unless outside influence is driving the majority of it. I mean I am not going to challenge the historical trends for this area. No way. In the real world, where people make money in a diverse economy, San Diego has improved little in that respect and just doesn't rank too well when tourism is its number one industry.

As a seller, I had a feeling my home would sell quickly, but I was more than surprised at not only how quickly, but the kind of offers there were. I would be lying if I said it wasn't a great to position to be in and the right time for us. But folks in the middle spectrum of wages etc, this has to be somewhat demoralizing.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:55 AM

50,232 posts, read 46,991,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
The estate tax exemption, changed for 2018, is $11.2 million. That's a pretty high hurdle.

California doesn't have an exemption tax. So what's the problem?
Many of the ranches in SD County are worth way more than that. They aren't that big either so they'd likely have to sell a bunch of it just to keep some of it.

Old 01-21-2018, 11:03 AM

334 posts, read 362,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Raising the tax of someone that bought for a lesser price doesn't help the buyer that paid a higher price...
Actually it probably would because then the overall tax rate could be lower and the government could still meet funding needs

Quote:
The Supreme Court has already ruled a tax based on acquisition doesn't violate the law... we pay taxes on acquisition price on everything else... why can some not accept this for when it comes to homes.
Yeah I have no doubt that it's legal. I simply don't agree with the design of the tax and I think it's probably sub-optimal from a variety of perspectives. It is very optimal for long time home-owners (and also corporations).

Old 01-21-2018, 01:22 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Prop 13 puts restraints on the housing market. California already puts restraints on the housing market with its excessive regulations. Prop 13 exacerbates the problem.

The sky-high values are great for owners, but terrible for anyone who wants to buy a house, other than those with family wealth or very high incomes.

If you believe in the American Dream of home ownership, it's impossible to think that the overall housing situation in California is a good thing. We have the highest levels of overcrowded housing, and the lowest levels of affordability in the US.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:36 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,875,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Prop 13 puts restraints on the housing market. California already puts restraints on the housing market with its excessive regulations. Prop 13 exacerbates the problem.

The sky-high values are great for owners, but terrible for anyone who wants to buy a house, other than those with family wealth or very high incomes.

If you believe in the American Dream of home ownership, it's impossible to think that the overall housing situation in California is a good thing. We have the highest levels of overcrowded housing, and the lowest levels of affordability in the US.

Yes that's all true. And yet the housing complex just down the street is selling $800,000 new homes with no problem. Some people have the money. It's just the middle class that that faces an affordable crisis. The elites can buy irregardless of price.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:00 PM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes that's all true. And yet the housing complex just down the street is selling $800,000 new homes with no problem. Some people have the money. It's just the middle class that that faces an affordable crisis. The elites can buy irregardless of price.

It’s incredible how fast homes in the $500-800k range are selling. Just imagine the down 20% payment on a 800k home not including taxes, insurance and the monthly mortgage? There’s not too many people that have over 150k in savings or that kind of cash for a down payment, not even some professionals.

For what people are paying for these homes, they’re aren’t getting their moneys worth IMO. Especially the older homes built in the 50’s-60’s that even though have been remodeled, it still has old bones that structurally could be comprised due to age.

The days when modest people could buy a house in SD with a salary of 50-100k a year is over.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:19 PM

6,496 posts, read 7,523,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

I am still unclear on how exactly prop 13 manipulates the housing market other than it protecting home owners from having to sell when property taxes get uncontrollably high....

I'd much rather one not be able to afford a home they never had to begin with than someone lose their home due to exponential jumps in property taxes because of the housing market...as is happening in my home state of Texas.

Old 01-21-2018, 05:35 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpdragr View Post
Actually it probably would because then the overall tax rate could be lower and the government could still meet funding needs.
Call me skeptical but I have no faith any a tax reduction would happen...

Old 01-21-2018, 06:07 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
It’s incredible how fast homes in the $500-800k range are selling. Just imagine the down 20% payment on a 800k home not including taxes, insurance and the monthly mortgage? There’s not too many people that have over 150k in savings or that kind of cash for a down payment, not even some professionals...
Well, it IS possible to buy something other than a SFH for one's first piece of Real Estate - sometimes you have to try crawling before you can walk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego