U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2018, 09:21 PM
 
Location: San Diego
837 posts, read 1,018,988 times
Reputation: 672

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Yes that's all true. And yet the housing complex just down the street is selling $800,000 new homes with no problem. Some people have the money. It's just the middle class that that faces an affordable crisis. The elites can buy irregardless of price.

Of course some have the money. Some have the money to buy $8 million homes.

With inventory what it is, there don't need to be that many buyers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2018, 09:22 PM
 
Location: San Diego
837 posts, read 1,018,988 times
Reputation: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
Well, it IS possible to buy something other than a SFH for one's first piece of Real Estate - sometimes you have to try crawling before you can walk...
Strongly agree but would you be buying today if moving up later was your goal?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2018, 07:49 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
732 posts, read 526,705 times
Reputation: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
Strongly agree but would you be buying today if moving up later was your goal?

well - if I were a renter in San Diego right now, with the goal of becoming a property owner for the long-term, then I'd have very little issue with buying right now, knowing full well that prices are high, will likely go higher, then crash back down to about where they're at the moment.

If I had the time, and could get a good deal on rent for the next few years, I'd probably wait for the next crash to happen - then swoop in and buy something. You tend to get better deals when it's a buyer's market than when it's a seller's market (like it is now).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-23-2018, 06:37 PM
 
10 posts, read 9,879 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
well - if I were a renter in San Diego right now, with the goal of becoming a property owner for the long-term, then I'd have very little issue with buying right now, knowing full well that prices are high, will likely go higher, then crash back down to about where they're at the moment.

If I had the time, and could get a good deal on rent for the next few years, I'd probably wait for the next crash to happen - then swoop in and buy something. You tend to get better deals when it's a buyer's market than when it's a seller's market (like it is now).
It will never crash like it did last time because you actually have to qualify for a loan this time around.
I believe there will be a correction but the a crash.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM
 
Location: 92037
4,630 posts, read 9,387,335 times
Reputation: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed up owner View Post
It will never crash like it did last time because you actually have to qualify for a loan this time around.
I believe there will be a correction but the a crash.
Housing market will soften sure, but the economy and housing market are not linear when making that determination, especially when unprecedented events can always happen. San Diego is at max capacity right now in terms of affordability. Hence the reason why this is even a notable topic.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out and San Diego fairs to weather the next storm.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-24-2018, 11:10 PM
 
Location: San Diego A.K.A "D.A.Y.G.O City"
1,992 posts, read 4,106,044 times
Reputation: 2725
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Housing market will soften sure, but the economy and housing market are not linear when making that determination, especially when unprecedented events can always happen. San Diego is at max capacity right now in terms of affordability. Hence the reason why this is even a notable topic.

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out and San Diego fairs to weather the next storm.

As long as we keep having idiot wealthy people buying tiny old homes for half a million dollars or more, things will never change, no matter how horrible the economy gets.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 10:52 AM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
5,646 posts, read 8,724,553 times
Reputation: 11162
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
As long as we keep having idiot wealthy people buying tiny old homes for half a million dollars or more, things will never change, no matter how horrible the economy gets.
Half a million will get you only a diminutive 600sf 1br/1ba shack on Meade. It’s more like $1M for a regular sized house in a good core neighborhood location. The 92 y.o. 1800 sf house next to us went pending after two days on the market at full price just under $1.3M! Yikes!

I have no idea what these folks do for a living to snatch up houses like that as if they were a bargain that you will never see such a “deal” again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 11:27 AM
 
Location: San Diego CA
6,734 posts, read 4,527,770 times
Reputation: 11915
Once in a while I'll talk to new neighbors. They tend to be highly educated and in their late 30's or 40's. We have doctors, architects, medical sales reps etc. Even the economic elites here have to lower their housing expectations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 PM
 
8,517 posts, read 27,537,650 times
Reputation: 4791
demographics are changing. Inner-urban buyers are much wealthier than the long-time residents, tend to be 2 income and no kids.. Even out here suburbia, huge disparity in the new buyer (2 income professional) vs. existing owner (mostly retired or blue collar)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-25-2018, 12:38 PM
 
18,173 posts, read 12,620,320 times
Reputation: 9240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
demographics are changing. Inner-urban buyers are much wealthier than the long-time residents, tend to be 2 income and no kids.. Even out here suburbia, huge disparity in the new buyer (2 income professional) vs. existing owner (mostly retired or blue collar)
This is the direction the whole Country is headed in. A shrinking Middle Class and an expanding poor and upper Middle Class and Rich. You can either get a very good paying Job, start a successful business, have bought long ago and can afford the COL or ..... you can't afford to buy in a popular area. The Middle Class jobs, that moved many people from poor to middle class are mostly gone overseas so the business can make more money, with no production employees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top