Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Still need to point out we have a really big airport right on the border 15 min away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 07:52 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We get paid less for the same job than many areas because so many want to live here. That and many people bought at the peak and have lost money so do they get their losses made up at sale? Not every house in S Cal appreciated.
Also, how is asphalt and rocks any more expensive here than other States? 1% on a 600,000 dollar house yields the State more than 2% on a 200,000 dollar house like many other States (or parts of this State) so they are still squeezing us for more than other States. Enough to make up for the cost of more expensive labor to turn that into a road. California has a spending problem not a revenue from property tax problem.
Yup, spot on I would say. I try not to think about it, but the truth remains.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:35 PM

4,211 posts, read 3,287,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Let me start by saying it would have been great if Amazon had chosen SD as their second headquarters. It could have been what downtown needs to make it a true business center. We submitted a bid and it wasn't good enough. SF has the work force and talent, yet wasn't chosen either. The only reason LA and NYC are still on the list is because of their massive sizes. NYC and LA aren't tech hotbeds like Austin, Atlanta or Raleigh. Besides LA, Denver is the furthest West of the potentials sites, so it's obvious to me they aren't looking to set up a second shop in the West.

Come on, are really trying to compare LAX to SAN? It's one of the busiest airports in the world and a world class city. I won't even engage in that conversation. MSP is a major hub in the middle of the country. Philly Metro has almost twice as many people than SD.

Now let's take a look at a few cities on your wish list of nonstop destinations from San Diego. A little research would have told you that all of the places mentioned have limited service. Why would any of those cities fly into SD before going to ATL, LAX, DFW, JFK, SFO or O'Hare? Feel free to throw out more "Among others" cities so I can post their destination maps, also.

From Buffalo: Buffalo Niagara International Airport - Flight Info - Where We Fly

From Edmonton: Edmonton Int'l Airport Map

From Providence: Green Airport | Airlines | PVD | Rhode Island

From Quebec City: https://www.aeroportdequebec.com/en/...nations-served

So Los Angeles isn't a tech hotbed, with those giant Google facilities in Santa Monica and Playa Vista, Snapchat's historic California IPO in Venice....but Raleigh and Austin are. Got it.

Not comparing LAX to SAN. Simply pointing out that geographic location is often used as an explanation as to why SAN is not a hub for anything. San Diego is not a small city, and the airports in Ontario/Burbank are pretty relevant to the LA area, supplementing LAX. Is it too much to ask for SAN to have 1/3rd the direct flights as LAX? I guess so.

Yes MSP is a major hub...but again, almost triple the flights? Do you think SAN should have at least as many nonstop flights as PDX? Philly Metro has almost twice the population as San Diego? Did you remember to include Tijuana? Might not be the same thing, but still doesn't explain why PHL, already located right between two of the busies airports in the world, is doubling SAN in nonstop flights.

Thank you from posting those maps. From them, I learned:

-From Buffalo, I can fly to Las Vegas and Phoenix directly, but not San Diego.

-From Edmonton, I can fly to Palm Springs and Las Vegas directly, but not San Diego.

-It appears that the Providence, Rhode Island airport has significantly more overseas nonstop flights than San Diego

Old 02-22-2018, 09:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAlt View Post
I agree with Proposition 13, but why can assessments be lowered during a downturn? If someone can afford what they paid they can afford the assessment on THAT price. Seems inconsistent to allow lowering but not raising based on the market.

Have you actually tired to get a reassessment on a property to a lower value? It’s not as easy as you think it is. You’re not going to walk in your tax assessors office and wham bam thank you ma’am i walk out with a refund or a lower tax bill.
Nor it’s is that common. You need to have all kinds of proof and even then it’s no guarantee. And they can decline it. Trust me millions of homeowners didn’t get to lower their tax rates in the lean times. I know I paid the tax bill as it came.

Mark my words. If you have a house now you want P13. And in 20 years when you retire you’ll be glad you have it.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:20 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Have you actually tired to get a reassessment on a property to a lower value? It’s not as easy as you think it is. You’re not going to walk in your tax assessors office and wham bam thank you ma’am i walk out with a refund or a lower tax bill.
Nor it’s is that common. You need to have all kinds of proof and even then it’s no guarantee. And they can decline it. Trust me millions of homeowners didn’t get to lower their tax rates in the lean times. I know I paid the tax bill as it came.

Mark my words. If you have a house now you want P13. And in 20 years when you retire you’ll be glad you have it.
Unless they've changed it since I did it, it is much easier than you're making it out to be. You don't need "all kinds of proof" - you need three 'comps' (comparable property values).

Even so, as a retiree I'm very glad for Prop 13. I worked hard to have a good retirement, and I'm happy not to have the concern that some out-of-control property tax bill will leave me impoverished, as is not uncommon without something like Prop 13.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:27 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
I had my first house re-assessed when the market crashed, my property taxes were reduced 50%. All I had to do was write a letter. As the market rebounded it's gone back up but it's still way below 1% of current market prices.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:40 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I had my first house re-assessed when the market crashed, my property taxes were reduced 50%. All I had to do was write a letter. As the market rebounded it's gone back up but it's still way below 1% of current market prices.
You'd think that would happen without doing anything.

Old 02-23-2018, 01:48 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
Unless they've changed it since I did it, it is much easier than you're making it out to be. You don't need "all kinds of proof" - you need three 'comps' (comparable property values).

Even so, as a retiree I'm very glad for Prop 13. I worked hard to have a good retirement, and I'm happy not to have the concern that some out-of-control property tax bill will leave me impoverished, as is not uncommon without something like Prop 13.
I filed a formal appeal on my property tax in 2010 and still had to pay the full amount of taxes as billed.

Almost 2 years later I had my hearing and won... several months after I got my refund... I also filed for the next tax year and the next and also won...

Assessor staff said they were being inundated with appeals... my only thought is I guess the values were too high?

It's a process and by delaying as long as possible keeps dollars in government coffers in other words there is no incentive to expedite.

Old 02-27-2018, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 650 times
Are this prices sustainable? With mortgage loan interest going up for the past 2 years and prices on home value going up 8 % to 10% year over year. Can it keep going for the next 6 to 12 years ? I don't see salary's going up that high ether at a 1.5% to 2% year over year average for the past few years.

Old 02-27-2018, 07:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedtech View Post
Are this prices sustainable? With mortgage loan interest going up for the past 2 years and prices on home value going up 8 % to 10% year over year. Can it keep going for the next 6 to 12 years ? I don't see salary's going up that high ether at a 1.5% to 2% year over year average for the past few years.
Two things.

1. it may flatten a bit over time.

2. Rich buyers will begin to replace those who don't make enough. There are a LOT of people, Americans and Foreign, who make very good money and want to live in CA. They will control the market, not the middle class who used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego