Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoque View Post
You just made the argument as to why Prop13 is so wildly unfair. So many long-time homeowners are vastly underpaying their fair share of property taxes each year, that Mello Roos had to be invented to screw new homeowners even more in order to make up for the lack of tax revenue from the long-timers.
There are far more new timers buying expensive homes that the number of actual old timers paying less in total is a drop in the bucket. Remember the ones still old timers have been paying for years and years and years and the new buyers benefit from what the old timers paid for and the new ones pay nothing for all of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 05:50 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The roads, schools and other infrastructure were paid for by those that bought many years ago. People made a lot less then too.

Old 03-12-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The roads, schools and other infrastructure were paid for by those that bought many years ago. People made a lot less then too.
Shhhhhhhh, they don't want to hear that, they want to blame their parents and grandparents for the problems.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:25 PM

7,703 posts, read 5,446,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Last 4th of July my neighbor had to have a $600 BBQ... and paid $60 tax on the purchase...

I bought the same grill at 50% off at the winter closeout... and paid $30 tax... no one seems to have a problem me paying half the tax because I paid half the price.
Excellent analogy.

And I do love Proposition 13!

Old 03-13-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner
Last 4th of July my neighbor had to have a $600 BBQ... and paid $60 tax on the purchase...

I bought the same grill at 50% off at the winter closeout... and paid $30 tax... no one seems to have a problem me paying half the tax because I paid half the price.

Excellent analogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Excellent analogy.

So true.

I do not hear any complaining when they get a discounted price and pay less in taxes than someone else did who bought on a no discount day either. Lets eliminate all discounts, specials, etc., so everyone pays the same price and taxes on everything, every day.

Old 03-17-2018, 11:03 AM

1,600 posts, read 938,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Excellent analogy.
Not analogous at all. Sales tax is a one-time tax, while property tax is a recurring payment to support services for that year. Totally different.

Old 03-17-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Not analogous at all. Sales tax is a one-time tax, while property tax is a recurring payment to support services for that year. Totally different.
Nope, you pay sales tax every time you go shopping, eat out, buy clothes, buy on Amazon or Ebay. Taxes are all continuous. It is a continuous tax so you can live in the house and enjoy the amenities your taxes pay for (supposedly) and ditto for say clothes, as they are necessary year to year too.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:04 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Quote:
Each year a tax is collected on motor vehicles... it is not a one time fee paid for us in California.

Knew a guy that had a pristine 1963 Split Window Corvette... he bought it new and the USE TAX was minimal after 40 years...

He sold it for 65k and the new buyer not only pays Sales Tax one time but also 12 times the USE TAX to register it... the fee to support services.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:26 PM

1,600 posts, read 938,631 times
The OP used a BBQ grill as the example. Does anyone pay annual sales tax for owning a grill or even a car? If you are, you're getting fleeced like all the new homebuyers paying inflated property tax.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:44 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
The OP used a BBQ grill as the example. Does anyone pay annual sales tax for owning a grill or even a car? If you are, you're getting fleeced like all the new homebuyers paying inflated property tax.
What exactly is your issue bud? Most people who own homes pay their taxes. They buy understanding how it works. I owned and still do own property for 25 years in OC. You think that past taxes I paid may have fixed roads, paid for schools, cops, firefighters, utilities, etc for all those years? Could that be possible. I mean before you came along and picked up the heavy burden of paying for everything, someone had to pay for all this stuff you get to enjoy now. I mean unless where you live the roads , schools,were built only when you moved in. The cops firefighters all the conveniences you enjoy were only built as soon as you moved there. Im betting that’s not the case.

And every year my taxes go up. JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSES. You make it sound like I and anyone that bought before you did are not paying any taxes or we somehow got away with something. I mean you do own your own home right? That’s why you’re in a uproar about prop 13 and how unfair it is. Right? I’m paying about 18,000 a year in property taxes. You think I’m somehow screwing the system? Getting away with something? Not paying my fair share?

When I bought my first house it was just as much of a struggle as it is now. I’m so tired of people like you thinking that we somehow got some unfair break because we bought before some magical number of a year. I guess before the Year of Perfection whenever that may of been where everything was cheap we all got free houses . Bs. I busted my ass to buy my first house.
I made a whopping 30k a year and the house was 95,000 when it was all said and done. I saved 20k for 4 years driving a old ass beater truck and not going on vacations, drinking and blowing money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego