Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 PM

3 posts, read 14,126 times

Advertisements

Because of the field I am in, there are a lot of job opportunities in the Sorrento Valley/Del Mar/Carmel Valley/UTC areas (in other words, areas which are all near the 5/805 freeway split). In fact, there are a lot more opportunities for me there than the Orange County area. So, I am considering expanding my job search to that area.

Can anyone give me some idea of how long the commute would be during the work week (during rush hour) from Aliso Viejo to those parts of the San Diego area?

I own a home in Aliso Viejo and it's not possible for me to easily relocate to San Diego.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 10:09 PM

469 posts, read 2,342,747 times
That's going to be a horrible commute. I'd say it'd be 2 1/2 - 3 hours with out traffic then add 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours during rush hour. I worked in the Golden Triangle for 6 years and there were times where it took 45 minutes just to get on the freeway (and my work was right off the freeway). It'd be a rough commute. If you can get to teh coaster that may be a better plan.
~Michelle

Old 11-03-2006, 11:01 PM

Thanks, Michelle. I had NO IDEA it would be that bad. What about the commute from Carlsbad to those same areas in San Diego...do you or anyone else know approximately how long would that take?

Old 11-04-2006, 08:55 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoViejoGal View Post
Thanks, Michelle. I had NO IDEA it would be that bad. What about the commute from Carlsbad to those same areas in San Diego...do you or anyone else know approximately how long would that take?
30-45 minutes, mostly in bumper-to-bumper trafffic. 15 minutes in clear driving conditions. The stretch of 5S from Oceanside to La Jolla is basically a parking lot every day.

Old 11-04-2006, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 298,929 times
If travelling from Carlsbad to Sorrento Valley, you can easily take the Coaster. It might not save you time, but will probably be less stressful. There are lots of shuttles from the Coaster to all of the business centers in Sorrento Valley.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:28 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded, this information is very helpful. :-)

Old 11-19-2006, 05:59 PM

55 posts, read 337,552 times
Agree about the Coaster idea. I live in Encinitas right off of the freeway (it's about a 10 min. drive south of the freeway from Carlsbad) and I work in La Jolla (equivalent distance from Sorrento Valley). Getting on to the freeway is my biggest issue currently (I live about 1/4 mi. away from the freeway entrance yet somehow it takes me 15-20 min. to get on the dang thing). Once I'm on the freeway it's not too bad - takes me a total of anywhere from 20-35 min. to get to work. From Carlsbad, your biggest issue would be the clog-up from Carlsbad to the Encinitas/Solana Beach area, after that, it's really not bad.

NOW, driving home is another situation entirely (805/5 merger all the way through Del Mar/Solana Beach sucks). On a good day it will take you anywhere from 45 min. to an hour. On a Friday, try an hour and 15 min. to an hour and a half. I have resorted to cutting through Rancho Santa Fe from the 56 freeway and it takes me about 20-30 min. But on most days I take the coast just because of the view.

Old 11-24-2006, 06:43 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,332 times
I used to commute from Laguna Niguel to Sorrento Valley and back....

It didn't take 3 hours ! Even in the rain. I seem to remember 1 avg to 1.5 hours in the worse conditions.

If you take a job there, make sure you can do flex time.

Since alot of employment is in Carlsbad, traffic should not be that bad for you. I have several friends that live in Carlsbad and have worked in Irvine for years.....very doable.

What's odd is that you say there is no work in OC, but there is here....what do you do ? Typically OC has many more jobs and about 15% higher pay.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:41 AM

80 posts, read 429,944 times
I would say 1-3 hours in rush hour traffic. 1 hour being if there is some magical moment where nobody is on the freeway except you. Plan on at least 1.5 hrs. each way. If there is a crash anywhere along the line. It could take you 2-3 hrs. Rush hour would be awful going home too. Mira Mesa Blvd. is a parking lot from 4-6pm. People walking will be passing your car some days on MM. Blvd. No joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego