Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 5,969 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be working at UCSD in La Jolla and am not familiar with the suburbs in San Diego. I am a professional in my early 30s and my husband without children. We are looking to buy a starter home that is safe and affordabel. We enjoy outdoor activities and are not night owls or into bars.

Any recommendations in regards to good areas to live?

Some potential areas in consideration includes Scripps Ranch and Poway. Is this a long commute to UCSD?

Looking for all the advice I can get
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 11:43 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
What's your budget? Do you want a house or condo? What do you want to be close to? Your job, shopping, etc. The more information you give provide, the more information you'll get. Without any information, no one will be able to help you.

In the meantime, you can search the forum for answers to your questions.

Old 12-13-2009, 11:17 AM

302 posts, read 885,747 times
IMO, I would absolutely not commute from either Poway or Scripps Ranch to UCSD. Traffic, traffic, traffic...

You say "affordable". What is your price range?

Without any of that info, off the top of my head, I would recommend Clairemont and Bay Park. There are some really nice areas and some rather dodgy areas. One of my friends lives in a great neighborhood that is quiet, family-friendly, and safe. They are a 10 min drive to the beach, maybe 15 to UCSD, and have good freeway access without hearing any traffic noises.

If you have any more specific questions about the area, DM me and I can give you some more info

Old 12-13-2009, 01:32 PM

32 posts, read 115,083 times
Traffic to commute to UCSD is pretty much AWFUL!!! Both my husband and I worked there years ago...and the traffic keeps getting worse. We see that on our visits back to San Diego. We liked the area around UCSD...the closer the better to lessen the turmoil of commuting!!! So...explore the zipcode that UCSD is in. You'll pay a pretty price though for your home...weather buying or renting.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:37 PM

32 posts, read 115,083 times
Smile Try zipcode 92122 and work outward...

*keep in mind your comfort level for a commute. My husband for years rode his bike to work on campus and there were buses we could ride for free back then (within a certain range from campus). Good luck...

Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianper123 View Post
Hi,

I will be working at UCSD in La Jolla and am not familiar with the suburbs in San Diego. I am a professional in my early 30s and my husband without children. We are looking to buy a starter home that is safe and affordabel. We enjoy outdoor activities and are not night owls or into bars.

Any recommendations in regards to good areas to live?

Some potential areas in consideration includes Scripps Ranch and Poway. Is this a long commute to UCSD?

Looking for all the advice I can get

Old 12-14-2009, 11:41 AM

455 posts, read 1,118,679 times
My wife will be working in USCD also. We looked at La Jolla, but it seems there are two major ways in and out of the area;Torrey Pines Rd and Garnet Ave...therefore always congested.

Personally (my opinion=0.02), Del Mar was too expensive, UTC was condo hell, Carmel Valley had crazy HOAs, so we settled for Sorrento Valley.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:27 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,600,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreams View Post
IMO, I would absolutely not commute from either Poway or Scripps Ranch to UCSD. Traffic, traffic, traffic...
UCSD used to have van pools from Rancho Penasquitos. If they still have van pools, I expect there would be also from Poway or Scripps Ranch. It took me about 45 minutes on the van from RP, and that was 12 years ago. There's now more traffic, but there's now a cross-town highway (56) that didn't exist 12 years ago.

You should be able to find something nice without such a long commute, but the van pool at least made it bearable.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:30 AM

9 posts, read 35,412 times
The key to stress free living in San Diego is to minimize your commute time - traffic can be horrendous. There are many neighborhoods near UCSD that are suitable, the best being La Jolla, but that is pricey. University City (many call this area UTC which was the old name of the shopping center in UC) is a great area with a plethora of condos and a lot of older homes. This is a great place to buy, homes will hold their value pretty well, but they can be on the high end also. Clairemont is just south of UC and is more affordable and if you get into the Bay Park area of Clairemont as someone else mentioned, you can get bay views, but there is always a price for a view in San Diego. Another option might be Mira Mesa or Sorrento Valley, which is mostly a sea of new tract homes, if that appeals to you.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,840 times
UCSD is really about the half way point between the north county coastal communities and the communities to the south, downtown, etc. Unfortunately affordable and San Diego are two words that don't fit together real well. Depends on what your idea of affordable is and how much of a commute you can handle...because unless you live right around UCSD you will have one. IMO, I think coming from the north driving south is an easier commute since the merge was widened, it really isn't all that bad. Might take you a half hour-45 minutes. You might want to check out Encinitas, there are a fairly wide range of home prices there. Village Park has what I would consider starter homes there.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 12,126 times
I am in a similar situation. I am looking at a job at the Pfizer La Jolla location (near 5 and 805 join - near Torrey Pines). I live in Colorado and will be keeping my home here so am not looking to take on too much (under 250k). Ideally am looking for a condo where I could bike to work (10-12 miles limit) and be as close to ocean as possible - a bike ride or 20 minute drive? 1BR - 700-1000 sq fit. Anything fit that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego