Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel that Tijuana is safe for American tourists? If not, how much would I have to pay you to
Perfectly safe 18 43.90%
$30 3 7.32%
$100 1 2.44%
$300 1 2.44%
$1000 4 9.76%
$3000 14 34.15%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 12:14 AM

774 posts, read 1,778,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I turned around to see what was going on as I’m 6’4”,
They must be getting really desperate if they are mugging people your size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 01:26 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
provide weblink to the one you already wrote that is pretty F'd, OR it did not happen
Go to bloodydecks.com and search for baja carjacking. It involved two couples that got pulled over coming back from Rosarita and they were robbed of everything and the girls raped. They were left out in the desert naked and had to walk miles back. They believe they were TJ cops or pretended to be but had equivalent gear and vehicles.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:34 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I’ll share one if you do.

I went down to TJ by myself one afternoon in 2004/05 to buy a guayabera (buttondown shirt with four pockets and embroidery) for a wedding, and was mugged. I was walking down the ramp, after crossing over the bridge, and someone jumped on my back telling me to “go down”. I turned around to see what was going on as I’m 6’4”, and honestly thought it was someone I knew messing with me. What I did see was a junkie clinging on my back, with a knife pressed against my kidneys. Once I went down I realized I could easily take him out, but didn’t want to risk getting shanked while he frisked me, as I knew he wouldn’t find anything. All I had on were boardshorts with one pocket, a T-shirt, and flip flops, with my money hidden behind the foil of my cigarette pack. He opened the pack, didn’t see anything, and tossed it aside before taking off. I was shocked he didn’t take them when he left, if he did I would’ve chased him and gotten it back. I let it go when he ran off as it wasn’t worth it since he didn’t get anything, and I’m in Mexico.

A good samaritan got the police while this was happening, and he came to get me while I was walking towards Revolucion Ave. Apparnetly with his help the police got him, and they needed me to make an ID on him to have him arrested, which I gladly did. I offered to buy him lunch and beers, but he declined, all he asked for was a smoke, and to not let this keep me from coming back to his country. I gave him the pack, minus the $50 bill inside of it.

Short of paying a handful of bogus “tickets” for nonexistent traffic violations coming back from surfing, this was my only issue down there. Looking back I’m honestly surprised nothing happened all the times we went to the bars when we were under 21. It hasn’t stop me from going, it only got me to take a taxi instead of walking when heading to Revolucion Ave.
Ok, here's mine. Let me start off with the fact that I used to go down a lot. Even alone. I'd close bars down here and go down out of boredom because I got off work at 1 am.

A buddy of mine and I went down on a weekend that was raining. I intended to find a good deal on a new coat so I brought around 100 bucks cash. We were in a bar around 2 pm when two girls in a bar across the street started waving at us so we, of course, thought heading over there was a good idea. As we were crossing the street a cop car cuts us off and before I knew it I had cops shoving me into the back of a cop car. Only me, not my friend. We keep asking them over and over what am I being held for. Only answer, "You know what you did." I was in the back of the car for a while. They claimed I matched the description of someone who robbed a store.
If it wasn't for my buddy's continual questioning who knows what would have happened. I was strong arm frisked. They took out my wallet and lifted all but 20 bucks and we were told to go straight back to the border or we would get jailed.

I haven't been back since. I've had plenty of good experiences with the cops down there, like the time some idiot ran his bumper down the side of my car but there are just too many corrupt cops down there. I mean, one time we even had to steal our own cars back from a lot after getting pulled over for pretty much, having CA plates. They demanded cash to get our keys back. Instead we went home and got extra keys and drove our cars home.

My buddy who was a Coronado cop sold his place he was renting in TJ because of the hassle. He'd get rolled about every other month going down to get rent. This family had no bank account and always wanted to pay in cash. Me and TJ are done.

I'll still do flyover areas like for my kid's water polo tournaments but no more border for me.

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 04-09-2018 at 01:43 PM..

Old 04-09-2018, 02:41 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, here's mine. Let me start off with the fact that I used to go down a lot. Even alone. I'd close bars down here and go down out of boredom because I got off work at 1 am.

A buddy of mine and I went down on a weekend that was raining. I intended to find a good deal on a new coat so I brought around 100 bucks cash. We were in a bar around 2 pm when two girls in a bar across the street started waving at us so we, of course, thought heading over there was a good idea. As we were crossing the street a cop car cuts us off and before I knew it I had cops shoving me into the back of a cop car. Only me, not my friend. We keep asking them over and over what am I being held for. Only answer, "You know what you did." I was in the back of the car for a while. They claimed I matched the description of someone who robbed a store.
If it wasn't for my buddy's continual questioning who knows what would have happened. I was strong arm frisked. They took out my wallet and lifted all but 20 bucks and we were told to go straight back to the border or we would get jailed.

I haven't been back since. I've had plenty of good experiences with the cops down there, like the time some idiot ran his bumper down the side of my car but there are just too many corrupt cops down there. I mean, one time we even had to steal our own cars back from a lot after getting pulled over for pretty much, having CA plates. They demanded cash to get our keys back. Instead we went home and got extra keys and drove our cars home.

My buddy who was a Coronado cop sold his place he was renting in TJ because of the hassle. He'd get rolled about every other month going down to get rent. This family had no bank account and always wanted to pay in cash. Me and TJ are done.

I'll still do flyover areas like for my kid's water polo tournaments but no more border for me.
Yep a friend went to a doctor there and on the way home a cop pulled him over claimed he was speeding, which he was not, and said if he gave him $200.00 no ticket. My friend had about $140.00 so the cop said OK and took it.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:13 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep a friend went to a doctor there and on the way home a cop pulled him over claimed he was speeding, which he was not, and said if he gave him $200.00 no ticket. My friend had about $140.00 so the cop said OK and took it.
We eventually learned to keep about $20 between us in small bills and hide the rest in our wetsuits or booties. The few times they didn’t believe we only had $20, and searched the car, they never checked there. We always chalked it up to they didn’t want to get their hands wet. With that said, we could never figure out why they’d usually ticket us upon entering TJ from the south, no leaving it. It’s much easier to explain why you have no money on the way home vs starting your trip. We chalked this up to stupidity on their part.

If you insist on going to the station for your ticket, it’s your right, they usually speed off after telling you to follow them, if it’s bogus. We found it just easier, and cheaper, to pay. It’s a huge hassle going to the station, not something I want to do again.

Old 04-10-2018, 01:47 PM

571 posts, read 715,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

Wow, your story sounds so eerily similar to mine in so many ways (post #58), but maybe worse. At least they didn't get my car. They had my car keys but believed my friend's lie that we took the Trolley to the border. Actually, my car was parked on the U.S. side so they might not have gotten it even if my friend had been truthful. But we thought they might have work visas for the U.S. and could cross over to get my car then drive it to Mexico. Who knows? Anyway, like you, I was done with TJ after that experience.

Old 04-10-2018, 03:51 PM

36 posts, read 55,969 times
The fact that 99% of the actual Mexicans who live in tj and work in the states tell me its too dangerous lets me know not to risk it. I will go to Playa del Carmen and a couple others anytime.

Old 04-10-2018, 04:07 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elel336 View Post
The fact that 99% of the actual Mexicans who live in tj and work in the states tell me its too dangerous lets me know not to risk it. I will go to Playa del Carmen and a couple others anytime.
What were the details of the family recently 'gassed' around there? CO?

Old 04-10-2018, 06:22 PM

36 posts, read 55,969 times
That's what the media and local mexican officials are saying.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:30 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elel336 View Post
Mexicans who live in TJ and work in the US have a different set of problems. Since they can cross and others cannot they become a source of jealousy because they earn dollars. They will get robbed..." because they have more ".

If you are a gringo and want to live in TJ the ideal way to do it is claim SSI or Disability. Most people will see you as an equal and leave you alone. You can always say that you deported yourself , since you couldn't afford to live in SD anymore. That will earn you some respect.

If you come to TJ and try to live a luxury life in the face of locals they will have envy for you. In a way the is what "pochos" come across as. They work in the USA and spend lavishly on a nice second home in playas or they build extensions to existing homes Etc. It's like a case of the jones's.

Mexicans are REALLY nice people in general and you will find people to be WAY MORE polite and HELPFUL then " Don't look at me " USA where people don't want to communicate at all.

I would never drive in TJ....any automobile new or old. I would be polite and learn the language.

For some people TJ is goldmine. I feel very privileged that I am allowed to go back and forth. I can see doctors,dentists, have thing repaired for less, eat out in REALLY GOOD restaurants for the price of take out food in SD.

Yes I never throw caution to the wind but I do wind up winning most of the time.

For me having a place on both sides of the border is ideal. I would not want to be in TJ 24/7 but I do enjoy my time there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego