Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 04:33 PM

15 posts, read 11,744 times

Advertisements

Going by the demographics, what if the school doesn't challenge him enough. The school tour that we took did not leave a good impression on us-especially with regards to how some of the kids were behaving while on campus, or even in classrooms that were locked! Didn't feel like a healthy environment at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2019, 06:50 PM

84 posts, read 88,175 times
I have kids that grew up in and are currently enrolled in the Carlsbad School District. No issues-- CHS has a newer principal (but he has been in the district for many years) and Sage Creek will be getting a new principal effective August (a current Vice Principal). Not sure which sites you are looking at but sometimes reviews can feed int the algorithm and some people's 'reviews' can skew the data. Any other questions, please let me know... I am happy to share my experience!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:58 PM

84 posts, read 88,175 times
Calavera borders Oceanside, Poinsettia borders San Marcos and La Costa borders Encinitas so you can run into that issue in quite a few places within Carlsbad. Not sure what you mean by inexpensive alternatives-- are you referring to renting? There are apartment and condo complexes that is what you are looking far however I am unsure of what your definition of inexpensive is....renting a house is going to set you back about $3500+ depending upon size and they are hard to come by. In any case, happy to answer any other questions and good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhomemom77 View Post
Hi! We are trying to zero-in on a house in Carlsbad. We are ok with the elementary (Hope) and the high school there, but the house is zoned for Calavera middle school. Wanted to know what inexpensive alternatives do we have. The district is almost closed to middle school transfers due to being impacted.
Renting near Pacific Rim Elementary would be our last option.
Thanks!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:50 PM

I was referring to alternatives for Calavera Hills middle school - like a good charter school that someone could recommend. We do not have any issues with the elementary or high schools there. After having to pay well over 800k for a house less than 2000sq ft, that's the least I would expect- good schools.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:44 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
For you, I recommend Pacific Ridge School. Perfect alternative to Calavera Middle School.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:08 PM

Really? No good charter schools around?

Old 05-09-2019, 10:28 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
The best part of Carlsbad is the part that is actually part of the Encinitas school district.
Personally, I'd rather send my kids to San Marcos schools. Comparable education and you aren't in a bubble of rich, entitled white people.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:34 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,641,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayhomemom77 View Post
Really? No good charter schools around?
Here's the list of all Charter Schools in San Diego County from the San Diego County Office of Education:

https://www.sdcoe.net/business-servi...go-county.aspx

However, from personal experience I can say that Charter schools aren't always the panacea people believe they are -- some are very good, but others have more "issues" then regular public schools, especially in a strong district like Carlsbad Unified.

I wouldn't dismiss Calavera Hills MS based on a single visit. Their test scores are fine, and they're hardly a poor inner city school with associated problems. Perhaps see if you can talk to some parents whose kids attend or have attended. If you can't find anyone on your own, see if you can get in contact with parents through the PTA at the school. If it's just "demographics" that are a turnoff to you, private schools might be an option to consider for middle school.

Finally, these two resources might be helpful to you:

Parents Guide to Public Schools in San Diego County 2019 https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/wp-c...19-English.pdf

San Diego Private School Guide https://www.sandiegomagazine.com/San...-School-Guide/

Finally, try starting your own thread using a title like Calavera Hills Middle School in Carlsbad. You may be more likely to get responses from other parents about the school that way then a post buried in an old thread.

Good luck!

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-10-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 05-10-2019, 02:47 PM

5,737 posts, read 4,694,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Personally, I'd rather send my kids to San Marcos schools. Comparable education and you aren't in a bubble of rich, entitled white people.
Wow. Just wow.

Old 05-10-2019, 04:27 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,122,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Wow. Just wow.
The truth hurts

Shout out to the person who messaged to call me a racist. Apparently it's racist for a person who grew up in that area to point out facts referencing basic demographics (i.e. income and race) and personal experience with the locals (i.e. entitled). Definitely confused me since...I'm white...and my family has lived in that area for 50+ years.

Seriously though, if someone would like to refute any of these claims, I'd be happy to send links to demographic data. Or maybe you don't agree with the "entitlement" claim because La Costa people are just so down-to-earth, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego