Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:58 PM

9 posts, read 51,462 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Live in Pacific Beach, there’s no better place if you’re young, or young at heart. Don’t waste your time with those other places mentioned, they’re all bland or suburban, not that’s there’s anything wrong with them.
You’ll be able to find a good roommate, in a nice place, very easily in PB. There’s a social Facebook group with quality people looking for roommates. I see people I know personally, shopping rooms in their places all the time.

I would, at your income level, look to buy down the road, once you get your bearings with our city. My wife has a similar income, with a car payment & student loans, and still qualified ~ 400K towards our home. You might even be able to swing a 2 bedroom at the beach. Then you can get yourself a roommate to knock 1K off your mortgage every month. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Thanks for your insight. Hopefully within a couple years I can buy (depending on housing market fluctuations). And yes I am definitely looking into getting roommates for the first year and was thinking Pacific Beach I am def a saver and like to not spend too lavishly and I love having company around me as I'm fairly outgoing. Pacific Beach def seems to have that young vibe that I'm looking for as well as Downtown/East Village and Northpark/Hillcrest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 12:03 PM
4SR

75 posts, read 105,837 times
First of all, congrats on the offer. As someone similar in age, I would strongly advise you to check out PB before you move there. I think it’s a fun place to go out in every once and a while, but living would be a bit too much for me personally. It’s college party town kind of vibe. If that’s you, then go for it, but if it’s not, check out Hillcrest and NP where there’s still bars and fun things to do

Old 03-08-2018, 01:12 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SR View Post
First of all, congrats on the offer. As someone similar in age, I would strongly advise you to check out PB before you move there. I think it’s a fun place to go out in every once and a while, but living would be a bit too much for me personally. It’s college party town kind of vibe. If that’s you, then go for it, but if it’s not, check out Hillcrest and NP where there’s still bars and fun things to do
This ^^^

Even if you party - do you want to live in the party? Its also an area that is pretty ripe for theft and crime as well. You could also live with in a 10 dollar uber/lyft ride from areas like PB and the Gaslamp rather than live in the areas and either pay a premium for parking or constantly fight for parking.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:36 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
I know I’m biased because surfing is my passion, but there’s more than the party, or living in the party in PB. My wife loves coming home from work and going rollerblading, or we just go for bike ride, or a walk down the beach. Every transplant, and I mean every, that moved to the beach after living somewhere else in San Diego has told me they regretted not doing it sooner. Granted most people I speak of were in their 20’s or 30’s. Unless you’re going to the suburbs, every “hip” area is gonna have issues with petty crime, homelessness, and parking. Good luck with whatever area you choose, it’s tough to go wrong.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:35 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasnaisx View Post
Thanks for your insight. Hopefully within a couple years I can buy (depending on housing market fluctuations). And yes I am definitely looking into getting roommates for the first year and was thinking Pacific Beach I am def a saver and like to not spend too lavishly and I love having company around me as I'm fairly outgoing. Pacific Beach def seems to have that young vibe that I'm looking for as well as Downtown/East Village and North park/Hillcrest.
I disagree with all of these locations. Why?

PB is ok if you are on the Very North end, but it is still going to be very congested. And PB floods like crazy when it rains. Lot's of drunks in PB also, which equals crime.

Every single City you mentioned is congested.

Downtown is infested with bar brawls resulting in deaths, a Ghostlike Mall, and the homeless who will pee on your doorstep. Hillcrest is for the GLBT, and getting more homeless as I type this, as well as North Park.

I recommend South of the 54 Freeway.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM

Good options. Thank you all for your insight. As of now, I accepted the offer and will be staying in a long term AirBnb so I can look around and check out areas in person before signing any leases. It will hopefully give me time to see places that I like and are close to my office

Old 03-08-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I disagree with all of these locations. Why?

PB is ok if you are on the Very North end, but it is still going to be very congested. And PB floods like crazy when it rains. Lot's of drunks in PB also, which equals crime.

Every single City you mentioned is congested.

Downtown is infested with bar brawls resulting in deaths, a Ghostlike Mall, and the homeless who will pee on your doorstep. Hillcrest is for the GLBT, and getting more homeless as I type this, as well as North Park.

I'm obviously not a native so I'm unfamiliar with the area. These were just areas that were suggested to me and sparked my interest. I will able to see places in person once I go out there

Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
Check out the UTC area, I think it’s similar to Reston.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul359 View Post
I can’t imagine anyone new to our city, in their 20’s, or any age for that matter, wanting to live anywhere south of the 54. I definitely wouldn’t recommend it. If they had kids and were looking to buy an inexpensive new(er) house then I would, but not to someone single.

Don’t get me wrong I really like South Bay. My wife works in Bonita, I have several friends that have bought in the new developments east of the 805 in Chula Vista, and have some old surf buddies that have never left IB. I would have no problems living in any of them, I just wouldn’t recommend them to the OP.

Old 03-10-2018, 12:07 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasnaisx View Post
Good options. Thank you all for your insight. As of now, I accepted the offer and will be staying in a long term AirBnb so I can look around and check out areas in person before signing any leases. It will hopefully give me time to see places that I like and are close to my office
This is a really smart plan. Congratulations on the new job, and welcome to San Diego!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego