Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM

26 posts, read 141,976 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are looking to move to a warmer climate. We currently live in a cold part of the western U. S. We are not working with a realtor, yet. We are starting a general research after having spent a good bit of time in OC and SD. Our challenge is finding a good fit within our budget, which is likely the challenge for some home buyers.

We are looking for:

1. We prefer a bit of space and privacy. We'd like at least a half acre for our kid, pets and gardening.
2. Good to excellent schools are also a requirement for our son, entering 8th grade next fall. We would also consider private school. Ideally, we'd like a community for him where not only is attaining a solid education key, but equally important is a loving and positive school environment.
3. We don't require a brand new home or prestigious address. An older fixer upper would be OK as long as it is not in shambles.
4. We also love tennis, but having a tennis court is certainly not required. I've seen some properties online in RSF that have tennis courts in our price range. Seems too good to be true.
5. We hope this is our last relocation. My husband is 54 and I am 47. We'd like for this to be our forever home as we enjoy our active senior years in a warmer climate!!!

Our price range is 1.2 M and up. Would rather stay closer to 1M but can go higher. I know finding a property with some space is a challenge, but I am hoping the knowledgeable people on this forum can help.

Thank you!

Last edited by Epark2112; 03-09-2018 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: TYPO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:31 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Poway. It’s a very family oriented town with arguably the best school district in the county, and plenty of great houses on .5 acre + lots. There’s lots of retirees too that stayed after their kids left. I grew up there and many of my friends houses are exactly what you’re looking for, well within your price range too. Good luck with whatever you decide, you’ll have plenty of options with your budget.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:19 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Poway is a good suggestion. I'd also add the Olivenhain area of Encinitas to your list of possibilities. Like Poway, you'll find larger lots there and the schools are excellent. (I suspect that some of those "RSF" listings you're seeing may actually be in Olivenhain. which borders parts of RSF)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliven...as,_California

Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Poway is a good suggestion. I'd also add the Olivenhain area of Encinitas to your list of possibilities. Like Poway, you'll find larger lots there and the schools are excellent. (I suspect that some of those "RSF" listings you're seeing may actually be in Olivenhain. which borders parts of RSF)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliven...as,_California
Without a doubt Olivenhain. I’d rather live there over Poway due to the proximity to the beach. I just suggested Poway as I’m very familiar with it from a family standpoint.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:42 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,644,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Without a doubt Olivenhain. I’d rather live there over Poway due to the proximity to the beach. I just suggested Poway as I’m very familiar with it from a family standpoint.
Funny thing is, I'd probably choose Poway over Olivenhain. My inland roots run deep, I guess.

But, both would no doubt be great starting points for the OP. There are many other great areas in San Diego County too, of course.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:32 PM

26 posts, read 141,976 times
Thank you, TacoSoup and RosieSD. I really appreciate the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego