Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times

Advertisements

I was really annoyed when their first offer to fix the issue was to give me a voucher for a future flight, as if they double charged me on purpose. Consumer protection from shenanigans like this is terrible in Mexico.

I would check the online prices before you go buy them in person, it may be cheaper online than at the ticket booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 01:43 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Do people bring crazy sized bags as carry-on with Volaris or are they really strict about their carry-on policy ? I did look at the website but I was interested to hear from someone with a first hand account.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2018, 09:42 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
This is why I thought maybe buying a ticket at the TJ airport would be a safer bet. At least I am right there and can verify everything before I pay. It would literally only take me 40 minutes at most and $1.50 to get there from my TJ pad.
The last two times I was in the TJ airport it was chaos and crazy and you'll be waiting in line for literally *minimum* an hour to buy a ticket, and if it's for a same-day flight you likely won't get one. I mean if you want to go to the airport the week before to get your ticket, sure, otherwise would not recommend.

Old 03-21-2018, 10:08 AM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
This is the only airline I have used in Mexico and have used them about 20 times or so. Mostly good experiences but a couple of really annoying ones also.

1. 2012 their website double charged for airline tickets AND getting a refund from them was full of red tape, phone calls, faxes, letters. I finally gave up and filed a false charge with my bank and let them handle it. I got my money back as my bank covered me, I'm not sure if my bank ever got it back from Volaris. Hopefully Volaris has fixed this issue with their website but just in case, DO NOT CLICK ON HIT BOOK FLIGHT TWICE because getting your money back will be a pain.

2. 2013 they "cancelled" my flight to Mexico City so they flew me to Puebla and then sent me by taxi for two hours to Mex City. The other option I was given was to leave on a direct flight the next day. I chose option A and we arrived about 7 hours later than expected. Luckily this was just a leisure trip so it wasn't a big deal, the drive through the mountains between Puebla and Mexico City was actually quite nice. My hunch is that they overbooked the flight and they told the few that didn't make it that it was cancelled.

There was a time when they were affiliated with Southwest Airlines, luggage was free and food/drinks (including beer/liquor) were free but that all changed around 2012 or so.

Despite the couple of issues I experienced, I still use them because the inflight experience is always good, the flight attendants are muy bonitas and they are much cheaper than Aero Mexico.
^^ Super convenient way to get to TJ airport from San Diego and back.
Ya, they still hire their attendants old school ....hubba hubba

Old 03-21-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
The last two times I was in the TJ airport it was chaos and crazy and you'll be waiting in line for literally *minimum* an hour to buy a ticket, and if it's for a same-day flight you likely won't get one. I mean if you want to go to the airport the week before to get your ticket, sure, otherwise would not recommend.
Was it crazy with people waiting to check in for a flight or doing other things ?

How bad was the security line and do they accept TSA Pre Check ?

Old 03-21-2018, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Was it crazy with people waiting to check in for a flight or doing other things ?

How bad was the security line and do they accept TSA Pre Check ?

I had my tickets IN HAND and still had to to to the counter to check in for my flight. Along with hundreds of other people. I don't remember security being particularly slow, it was like a busy airport in the states, it was getting checked in for the flight that was crazytown.

Why on earth would a Mexican airline flying out of Mexico accept a US government TSA pre-check? (short answer: no lol)

Basically when they say get there 2 hours early, get there 2 hours early.

Last edited by Jenkay; 03-21-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 03-21-2018, 02:05 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,659,658 times
Here are some recent customer reviews of Volaris from the Skytrax website:

Volaris Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX

A majority of the reviews don't paint a rosy picture of the airline's practices. When the airline first started out, it modeled itself after JetBlue here in the States with Airbus A320 series aircraft, in-flight entertainment and free snacks/drinks. However in recent years, it has evolved into an ultra-low cost carrier (e.g. Spirit, Frontier, Ryanair) that charges for practically every amenity and service.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Why on earth would a Mexican airline flying out of Mexico accept a US government TSA pre-check? (short answer: no lol)
I thought I read somewhere that with the CBX crossing there was some acknowledgment of Pre- Check status. I don't remember the specifics though.

I really hate the idea of flying out of TJ due to how things operate in general in Mexico. However the only other alternative I see is going through LAX then Mexico City which is hardly anymore attractive. I thought maybe I'd find something through Phoenix but that isn't the case.

As with most air travel these days there is a certain level of discomfort however you do it.

I basically hate the act of traveling but like to be in different countries.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:26 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
I would imagine it's a much easier process than an international flight from LAX.

Security gates in TJ are much quicker and relaxed than the States. You won't have to take off your shoes or belt in TIJ unlike SAN. But the same ruled apply for liquid containers. I would say don't over think it, just do it.

Old 03-21-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I would imagine it's a much easier process than an international flight from LAX.
It's about the same. They're just a PITA in different ways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: