Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 09:03 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,988,281 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be getting a new shingle roof on my house in La Mesa and would like some input on good roofing companies? I know all the companies listed on Yelp, but I'm sure half of those companies listed in the top, have paid to get there. Who would you suggest, as roofing companies seem so hit or miss!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,743,988 times
It has been more than a decade, but Excalibur Roofing put a new tile roof on our house. I would highly recommend them.

I would still get estimates from others though. If Excalibur's estimate is within the others by a few $k, I'd go with them again.

Old 03-25-2018, 10:44 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Raneri and Long roofed our house in 2009. Dave Hancock (the owner) is a real professional with absolutely no BS or sales games. Haven't had a single problem with our roof.

I just checked their current Yelp reviews and they look pretty good:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/raneri-and-...t_by=date_desc

Old 03-26-2018, 06:38 AM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
Yelp.........hmmm. Half the reviews on that website are fake and some are lies. Don't believe most of it.

As for your roof, have it stripped down to the wood as that way it can be inspected for wood damage. I never do a new roof over an old one. Does it cost more?
Heck yes, but it's the right way to do it.
Purchase 30 or 40 year shingles. Does it cost more? Heck yes, but it's worth it.

There are a lot of "hacks" out there, make sure they have Workers Comp insurance, see the proof.

Old 03-26-2018, 08:38 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,291 times
About 15 years ago, we did the roof on my rental in North Park. We used Marshall roofing. We got the 30 year roof. No problems yet.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Raneri and Long roofed our house in 2009. Dave Hancock (the owner) is a real professional with absolutely no BS or sales games. Haven't had a single problem with our roof.

I just checked their current Yelp reviews and they look pretty good:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/raneri-and-...t_by=date_desc
They gave me an estimate, quite high. Plus the guy that came over was selling me HARD! He couldn't stop talking about GAF and solar panels and how much I needed them. He was bashing other companies and basically trying to get me to sign. I felt like I was at a used car sales lot.

No Thanks.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:55 AM

Does anyone know about licensing? I have a roofer that has a B license for general contracting, he used to have the C-39 license but doesn't have it anymore.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:13 PM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
https://www.owenscorning.com/roofing/tools/diy-roofing/

this will help.

It isn't cheap to strip a roof, paper, shingle and cap. You also need drip edge and flashing around items like a fire place. By doing your homework you can pretty much know the cost of material. And remember, the contractor is getting the product at his cost. I don't know what the margins are on roofing materials.

Do your homework and make sure you select someone with workers comp. If not you could be in a pickle

Old 03-26-2018, 10:26 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
They gave me an estimate, quite high. Plus the guy that came over was selling me HARD! He couldn't stop talking about GAF and solar panels and how much I needed them. He was bashing other companies and basically trying to get me to sign. I felt like I was at a used car sales lot.

No Thanks.
That's too bad. I hate hard sells, up sells, and competitor bashing. No way I'd hire a company like that.

Luckily I worked directly with the owner who is a real straight shooter.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:38 PM

987 posts, read 778,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Does anyone know about licensing? I have a roofer that has a B license for general contracting, he used to have the C-39 license but doesn't have it anymore.

General B covers roofing, according to the CSLB regulations:

Licensing Classifications - Contractors State License Board

Business & Professions Code
Division 3, Chapter 9. Contractors, Article 4. Classifications

7057. (a) Except as provided in this section, a general building contractor is a contractor whose principal contracting business is in connection with any structure built, being built, or to be built, for the support, shelter, and enclosure of persons, animals, chattels, or movable property of any kind, requiring in its construction the use of at least two unrelated building trades or crafts, or to do or superintend the whole or any part thereof.
This does not include anyone who merely furnishes materials or supplies under Section 7045 without fabricating them into, or consuming them in the performance of the work of the general building contractor.
(b) A general building contractor may take a prime contract or a subcontract for a framing or carpentry project. However, a general building contractor shall not take a prime contract for any project involving trades other than framing or carpentry unless the prime contract requires at least two unrelated building trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification or subcontracts with an appropriately licensed specialty contractor to perform the work. A general building contractor shall not take a subcontract involving trades other than framing or carpentry, unless the subcontract requires at least two unrelated trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification. The general building contractor may not count framing or carpentry in calculating the two unrelated trades necessary in order for the general building contractor to be able to take a prime contract or subcontract for a project involving other trades.
(c) No general building contractor shall contract for any project that includes the "C-16" Fire Protection classification as provided for in Section 7026.12 or the "C-57" Well Drilling classification as provided for in Section 13750.5 of the Water Code, unless the general building contractor holds the specialty license, or subcontracts with the appropriately licensed specialty contractor.
(Amended by Stats. 1997, Chapter 812 (SB 857).)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: