Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2018, 03:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,021 times

Advertisements

Family of 5 moving to SD. 2 kids are in elementary, and 1 in preschool. Moving for a faculty position at UCSD (long hours) and wondering where are good, affordable areas to live. We are looking for a GREAT school district on a budget (cheapest place to live but still in a good district). Budget is flexible but we don’t want to overspend. A friend recommended Poway but some people say that’s too far. According to google maps, it’s 28 mins away. Other areas recommended are Chula Vista, carmel valley, tierasanta & sorrento valley. I need advice on commute time also. We are used to 1.5-2 hours each way, but obviously don’t wanna do that permanently. I’d say 1 hour sounds good? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 PM

6,878 posts, read 8,852,161 times
At least you didn't say by the beach.
Where are you coming from?
My guide to one-way commute times & qol: 10 minute walk = ideal; 20 minute drive = pretty good; 20-30 min = good; 30-40 = ok; 40-50 = less than good; 50 - < 1h = acceptable; >1h = no
Neighborhoods: Carmel Valley, Bird Rock, Encinitas, Mission Hills, University City
What is your precise max budget?

Last edited by bloom; 03-28-2018 at 06:51 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 06:27 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,522,798 times
Please consider Rancho Penasquitos aka PQ. Zip Code = 92129. Cheaper and closer to UCSD than Poway. And most of PQ is in the highly-rated Poway school district.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Please consider Rancho Penasquitos aka PQ. Zip Code = 92129. Cheaper and closer to UCSD than Poway. And most of PQ is in the highly-rated Poway school district.
Wow thank you! I had no idea.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
At least you didn't say by the beach.
Where are you coming from?
My guide to one-way commute times & qol: 10 minute walk = ideal; 20 minute drive = pretty good; 20-30 min = good; 30-40 = ok; 40-50 = less than good; 50 - < 1h = acceptable; >1h = no
Neighborhoods: Carmel Valley, Bird Rock, Encinitas, Mission Hills, University City
What is your precise max budget?
Ideally 600 is our budget, but would like to stay as low as possible. We can go up to 800 and my husband prefers that we get a place closer to 800 so we never have to move again. I won’t be comfortable going above 800. We are coming from NYC.
Thanks for your suggestion.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 AM

8,351 posts, read 7,545,669 times
Bloom is right about the commute time, especially if your husband is going to be working long hours.

Your husband is right about leaning towards the $700,000 to $800,000 budget if you want a single family home in an area with better schools anywhere close to UCSD. Even so, that probably won't get you into the western parts of Carmel Valley. It will probably get you at least some nice options in University City and Tierrasanta.

However, the Poway School District is a good starting point in that price range. It's considered one of the top two school districts in the county. The district includes Poway proper, but also Rancho Penasquitos (probably closest to UCSD) and Rancho Bernardo, and areas on the eastern edge of Carmel Valley. Those are all nice, family friendly suburbs. I'd start there and then work your way towards the coast. Scripps Ranch may also be worth a look.

If you want to stay closer to your $600,000 budget, Mira Mesa and Clairemont Mesa are the two closest areas to UCSD that you are likely to find single family homes close to that price range. You might also see what might be available in San Marcos, Santee, La Mesa, and Rancho San Diego. Those will be a little longer commutes to UCSD, but not two hours worth of commute. They are good family friendly areas with very decent schools.

If you decide to look in Chula Vista, the area east of the 805 freeway is the newer, and more desirable, part to focus in on, with the newer and better schools. You should find some good options there towards the lower end of your price range and it is a nice area for people who are looking for more of a master planned community feel. But, that will probably put you over an hour commute if your husband is commuting during peak hours. If he can commute a little outside of peak hours, it will be shorter.

One thing to be aware of out here is something called Mello Roos. This is a special tax assessment in some newer areas. Some newer areas also have home owner associations that can put restrictions on what you can do with things like landscaping. So, as you begin looking at listings, keep that in mind. In general, older areas do not have Mello Roos or homeowner associations. In general (but not always), you will also find larger lot sizes in older neighborhoods as well.

In any case, I'd make finding a real estate agent who is knowledgeable about multiple areas of the county your first order of business.

Good luck with your move! I moved here from Westchester County thirty years ago, and would never move back to NY.

Last edited by RosieSD; 03-29-2018 at 01:36 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 02:50 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,522,798 times
> If you want to stay closer to your $600,000 budget, Mira Mesa and Clairemont Mesa are the two closest areas to UCSD that you are likely to find single family homes close to that price range. <

Rosie is right... most of the time. I live in Clairemont. Clairemont is an easy drive to UCSD. We go to the UCSD Playhouse and the drive is only a few minutes.

But $600-700k will buy you a shack in Clairemont these days. And our assigned public schools suck. All of my neighbors send their kids to private schools. Private schools are not cheap.

PQ is your best deal. Good Poway public schools. EZ commute to UCSD. A decent house for $600-700k.

Sorry Rosie but I know my turf.

Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
> If you want to stay closer to your $600,000 budget, Mira Mesa and Clairemont Mesa are the two closest areas to UCSD that you are likely to find single family homes close to that price range. <

Rosie is right... most of the time. I live in Clairemont. Clairemont is an easy drive to UCSD. We go to the UCSD Playhouse and the drive is only a few minutes.

But $600-700k will buy you a shack in Clairemont these days. And our assigned public schools suck. All of my neighbors send their kids to private schools. Private schools are not cheap.

PQ is your best deal. Good Poway public schools. EZ commute to UCSD. A decent house for $600-700k.

Sorry Rosie but I know my turf.
No worries at all. I totally agree with you. Note that I didn't describe the type of house that you'd get for $600,000 in Clairemont Mesa or Mira Mesa. I just said there will be options.

Actually, $600,000 isn't going to exactly get you a single family mansion in RP or Poway either these days. There will be some options though.

As I always say, unless you have unlimited funds, buying a house in San Diego almost always requires compromises of one sort or another.

EDIT: Just did a quick check. There are currently only 10 houses in all of Poway up for sale in the $550,000 to $700,000 range. One is 890 square feet! And, here's one that came on the market today for $725,000 - 1300 square feet. http://www.sdlookup.com/MLS-18001580...Poway_CA_92064

Old 03-29-2018, 05:57 PM

6,878 posts, read 8,852,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Bloom is right
sticky this thread

Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
sticky this thread
LOL. As I wrote that, I knew you'd say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego