Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 06:12 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times

Advertisements

I work downtown I see them everywhere. I see a vast majority of them sitting on a corner rather than someone riding them.

I got hit by a scooter on sidewalk and I witnessed a biker on a lime bike hit a parked car from the sidewalk. Other than that I’ve seen very little positive or negative impact. We still have cars everywhere and it hasn’t cut down on traffic.

I think most folks would be okay if these “new” bikers would stay off the side walks. Because our city is more concerned with ticketing Expired parking meters than actually enforcing moving violations and general stupidity you get Understandably cranky people

I’ve witnessed lots of cars rolling stops signs over the years, lot of bikes too. I’ve witnessed more bikes actually ignore stop signs than I have cars. Don’t know the count but it’s overwhelming in the direction of bikes ignoring stop signs. Good way to kill yourself or a car hit you and have them live with tremendous guilt for the rest of their life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 05:12 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfosyd View Post
You seem very angry. Yes, there are cyclists who behave badly. Taking the entire lane is an example of that.

However, motorists also behave badly as I’m sure you have seen.

As an avid cyclist, I’d be happy to be pay the same car registration fees as motorists, IF the tax revenue that we pay to support motorists is divided equally between public transit, bike friendly infrastructure and highways as well as fuel subsidies. If you want to see a motorist hypocritical and angry, bring this topic up.
I've met one person that only had a bicycle and not a car. Which means almost all people cycling already pay taxes like everyone else.

I pay wayyyy more vehicle tax than most because I've had to buy a rig for me, Mrs. 1ATP, kid1 and kid2. Plus I have an offroad side by side, RV and a boat.

The Govt loves me.

Old 04-22-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
I work downtown I see them everywhere. I see a vast majority of them sitting on a corner rather than someone riding them.

I got hit by a scooter on sidewalk and I witnessed a biker on a lime bike hit a parked car from the sidewalk. Other than that I’ve seen very little positive or negative impact. We still have cars everywhere and it hasn’t cut down on traffic.

I think most folks would be okay if these “new” bikers would stay off the side walks. Because our city is more concerned with ticketing Expired parking meters than actually enforcing moving violations and general stupidity you get Understandably cranky people

I’ve witnessed lots of cars rolling stops signs over the years, lot of bikes too. I’ve witnessed more bikes actually ignore stop signs than I have cars. Don’t know the count but it’s overwhelming in the direction of bikes ignoring stop signs. Good way to kill yourself or a car hit you and have them live with tremendous guilt for the rest of their life
Why would you feel guilt for some dumb A$$ running a stop sign or light? I road ride as often as possible and if I take out a jay walker I'd for sure make it to work the next day. Would I feel sorry? Yes. Long term? Hell no.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:15 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,745,411 times
Saw a lot of people riding bikes when I was downtown on Saturday. Guess that's a good thing.

I was on my two feet walking far. Will need to try one of these other options next time.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:32 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I've met one person that only had a bicycle and not a car. Which means almost all people cycling already pay taxes like everyone else.

I pay wayyyy more vehicle tax than most because I've had to buy a rig for me, Mrs. 1ATP, kid1 and kid2. Plus I have an offroad side by side, RV and a boat.

The Govt loves me.
It doesn't matter if someone owns a car. Road infrastructure (highways, streets, parking) and oil are heavily subsidized by all taxpayers. Even within your own building, the cost of parking is built into your rent. Not sure how anyone can seriously believe that 350sqft (a parking space) of real estate in San Diego only costs $10 a day to occupy.

There once was a time when transit was fully privatized and made a profit. That has NEVER been the case for automobiles. Autos simply require massive government intervention. They are by far the most inefficient mode of transport based on the resources that go into the car, the car's energy, and the car infrastructure.

Old 04-24-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
It doesn't matter if someone owns a car. Road infrastructure (highways, streets, parking) and oil are heavily subsidized by all taxpayers. Even within your own building, the cost of parking is built into your rent. Not sure how anyone can seriously believe that 350sqft (a parking space) of real estate in San Diego only costs $10 a day to occupy.

There once was a time when transit was fully privatized and made a profit. That has NEVER been the case for automobiles. Autos simply require massive government intervention. They are by far the most inefficient mode of transport based on the resources that go into the car, the car's energy, and the car infrastructure.
So what is the answer?

I’d say employers getting more on board with work from home concept.
Maybe making the trolley coaster sprinter more accessible to other places and especially work hubs.
Is it a hyperloop system? Proposed in the midwest.

Bikes are great for the beach areas and short commutes within an area and even exercise but I’m not dying to throw on my work attire, brave the roads and possibly have my ride stolen more easily or bike pool my child to practice

Old 04-24-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Why would you feel guilt for some dumb A$$ running a stop sign or light? I road ride as often as possible and if I take out a jay walker I'd for sure make it to work the next day. Would I feel sorry? Yes. Long term? Hell no.
Heartless lol.

You would probably have a majority in this region thinking you should yield to the lawless biker or jay walker- although your insurance company would stick up for you

Old 04-24-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Heartless lol.

You would probably have a majority in this region thinking you should yield to the lawless biker or jay walker- although your insurance company would stick up for you
It's actually happened, twice! First time was some woman jay walking and I hit her at 25 mph and the other was some guy really stoned trying to catch a frisbee. Both of the jaywalkers took the brunt of the impact. Both times I had zero reaction time, just bam there is a dummy.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
DecoBike RIP...seriously $7 per hour to rent their bike and then you need to return it to a station? Get with the times, it's all about leaving the bike wherever you want! lol

Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,123,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
DecoBike RIP...seriously $7 per hour to rent their bike and then you need to return it to a station? Get with the times, it's all about leaving the bike wherever you want! lol
It's the only unsubsidized bikeshare program in the country. San Diego progressiveness...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego