Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 AM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
My neighbor just sold their 4/2 1500 sq ft house in one weekend for full asking price. $900k cash. It's currently in escrow. Just one 'open house' is all it took. People were waiting in line to get in on the day of the open house.

We live in Bay Ho close to Mission Bay but don't have a view of Mission Bay. We even get some road noise from the 5. Our sunsets are partially blocked by Mt Soledad. On the plus side, it is a very quiet neighborhood and close to anywhere you want to be.

When he listed it and told me the price I laughed. "There's no way you're getting that" I said. I was wrong. Bigly.
You live real close to me. Most of the homes are pushing the million dollar range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2018, 03:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,824,483 times
Encinitas has been approved to allow building of “granny flats”...now I just have to find somebody to adopt me as their granny! Actually I’m shocked that Encinitas is going for this, they don’t allow much building up here.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:41 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,545,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You live real close to me. Most of the homes are pushing the million dollar range.
Based on your screen name, you could be my neighbor across the street. But he moved. When he was my neighbor, he always had signs in his front yard about high taxes. The signs changed with his mood and what he saw on Fox news.

I live off Jutland Dr. About 2 years ago we had a house near us sell for over $950K. No one has broken the $1M mark in our 'hood yet.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:33 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I know quite a few youngsters that are buying right now. Yes, you do have to have a good job.
The reality is that homeowners' desire to increase their value is in direct conflict with providing/building affordable housing for the next generation.

We simply aren't building enough housing because zoning/lawsuits/NIMBYs stop "the evil developers" from building even modest townhomes. There aren't enough homes on the market for young families. Meanwhile all the homeowners are reaping the benefits of high prices due to constrained supply.

The majority of San Diegans are renters, but homeowners control all land use decisions. What's sad is that no ones cares about this inequality and San Diego continues down the path to a city of haves and have-nots. We can't even provide housing for individuals born and raised here, who are starting a new family.

Sorry- not meaning to call you out specifically on this. It's just the reality of the situation.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:18 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,646,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
We simply aren't building enough housing because zoning/lawsuits/NIMBYs stop "the evil developers" from building even modest townhomes. There aren't enough homes on the market for young families.
There's NEVER going to be "enough housing" in San Diego. There will always be more people who want to live at the beach. We cannot possibly accommodate even a fraction of them, so why should we destroy all quality of life trying to tilt at that windmill? Why should we become South Los Angeles? Why should we darken the skies with 100 story apartment buildings so people can leave at 2AM to join the traffic jam to work and return at 11PM?

"Young families" do not need to live in one of the most expensive cities in the country. It is not a huge tragedy if they have to live somewhere else. It is not wrong for those who can afford to live here to want a yard, and parks, and some kind of reasonable commute to work.

Old 04-01-2018, 03:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,111,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
There's NEVER going to be "enough housing" in San Diego. There will always be more people who want to live at the beach. We cannot possibly accommodate even a fraction of them, so why should we destroy all quality of life trying to tilt at that windmill? Why should we become South Los Angeles? Why should we darken the skies with 100 story apartment buildings so people can leave at 2AM to join the traffic jam to work and return at 11PM?

"Young families" do not need to live in one of the most expensive cities in the country. It is not a huge tragedy if they have to live somewhere else. It is not wrong for those who can afford to live here to want a yard, and parks, and some kind of reasonable commute to work.
Nice, the "do nothing" option as justified by "declining quality of life" and supposed "100-story apartment buildings with 2am traffic"

Fear tactics fueled by the privilege to by selfish. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:57 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,754,016 times
Where are the people that work in the low paying service sector supposed to live then? All the bus drivers? Cooks? Leisure and hospitality? Retail? Even office managers and everyone else making less than $100,000 a year?

The reality is, SD still needs to build more housing even if it doesn’t help matters immediately. This should be a long term goal, prices will never truly be affordable to everyone, but the point is people need a roof over their head and as a society, it’s important that we don’t have so many homeless people and people close to being homeless which could mean a paycheck away from being on the streets a normal thing. It’s terrible for society to deal with and if nothing does get done to at least provide permanent places for these people to live, you can bet San Diego’s homeless crisis will become an epidemic. Since nobody seems to have the answers.

I believe the sole purpose on why housing is so damn expensive here is because YES demand is part of it, but also landlords and property owners are trying to see where that limit is on how much someone is willing to pay to rent an apartment or buy a home so they ask for an insane price (GREED). I understand that when you sell something you always want to most for it, but in this case, homeowners, commercial real estate owners, all want the highest bidder, and sadly there’s not enough owners that are willing to sell way below market in SD, that wants to help that young working class family out on making it affordable for them to have a slice of the American dream which lately has strictly become for White collar professional types in SD.

There’s no hope for anyone purchasing a home if you are not working in some sort of high end profession. San Diego has seriously changed to the HAVES only. No offense to the people here that have very good paying jobs that allow you to live here comfortably, but we need a balance of different mix of classes of people in order for our economy to sustain itself. We can’t only have the rich and wealthy living here and owning everything, who will cater to their needs and services when all the poor and middle class eventually are forced out of town for good?

Wages aren’t going up fast enough to keep up with inflation nor annual rent increases, so I can’t understand why things are the way they are. It goes to show many outsiders from out of state and out of the country are moving into SD and buying our homes since the majority of San Diegans with the money they make, can’t afford to buy a house.

The local media likes to prance about how the economy is doing so well and everyone is making more money, well how much more money? Because I don’t think MOST people get huge raises from their jobs yearly to keep up with the rising cost of goods and services, including yearly rent hikes that a lot of San Diegans have to deal with, which then creates high amounts of turnover of residents so you never have long term tenants that help creates stability in an neighborhood or an apartment complex.

The median income in SD is what, close to 70K now? That’s still not enough to afford the median home in SD, and the majority of homes sold in SD isn’t even at the median rate, it’s mostly above asking price, so even if you wanted to purchase a house here, you are almost guaranteed to be in a bidding war with other potential buyers that probably have more money than you do.

It’s nuts.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:17 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,304,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlife619 View Post
. Where are the people that work in the low paying service sector supposed to live then? All the bus drivers? Cooks? Leisure and hospitality? Retail? Even office managers and everyone else making less than $100,000 a year?

Wages aren’t going up fast enough to keep up with inflation nor annual rent increases, so I can’t understand why things are the way they are. It goes to show many outsiders from out of state and out of the country are moving into SD and buying our homes since the majority of San Diegans with the money they make, can’t afford to buy a house.

It’s nuts.
Granny flats for workers. That is why they are being approved.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:00 AM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Based on your screen name, you could be my neighbor across the street. But he moved. When he was my neighbor, he always had signs in his front yard about high taxes. The signs changed with his mood and what he saw on Fox news.

I live off Jutland Dr. About 2 years ago we had a house near us sell for over $950K. No one has broken the $1M mark in our 'hood yet.
People would have to be nuts to put up signs in their yards. "Tolerant" folks can't seem to help themselves when they see signs with opposing views. They'll be gone in a day along with a dose of vandalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
The reality is that homeowners' desire to increase their value is in direct conflict with providing/building affordable housing for the next generation.

We simply aren't building enough housing because zoning/lawsuits/NIMBYs stop "the evil developers" from building even modest townhomes. There aren't enough homes on the market for young families. Meanwhile all the homeowners are reaping the benefits of high prices due to constrained supply.

The majority of San Diegans are renters, but homeowners control all land use decisions. What's sad is that no ones cares about this inequality and San Diego continues down the path to a city of haves and have-nots. We can't even provide housing for individuals born and raised here, who are starting a new family.

Sorry- not meaning to call you out specifically on this. It's just the reality of the situation.
Nothing has really changed here since the 50-60s. Many I grew up with couldn't cut it and moved back to Denver where I'm from originally.
Quote:
Where are the people that work in the low paying service sector supposed to live then? All the bus drivers? Cooks? Leisure and hospitality? Retail? Even office managers and everyone else making less than $100,000 a year?

The reality is, SD still needs to build more housing even if it doesn’t help matters immediately. This should be a long term goal, prices will never truly be affordable to everyone, but the point is people need a roof over their head and as a society, it’s important that we don’t have so many homeless people and people close to being homeless which could mean a paycheck away from being on the streets a normal thing. It’s terrible for society to deal with and if nothing does get done to at least provide permanent places for these people to live, you can bet San Diego’s homeless crisis will become an epidemic. Since nobody seems to have the answers.

I believe the sole purpose on why housing is so damn expensive here is because YES demand is part of it, but also landlords and property owners are trying to see where that limit is on how much someone is willing to pay to rent an apartment or buy a home so they ask for an insane price (GREED). I understand that when you sell something you always want to most for it, but in this case, homeowners, commercial real estate owners, all want the highest bidder, and sadly there’s not enough owners that are willing to sell way below market in SD, that wants to help that young working class family out on making it affordable for them to have a slice of the American dream which lately has strictly become for White collar professional types in SD.

There’s no hope for anyone purchasing a home if you are not working in some sort of high end profession. San Diego has seriously changed to the HAVES only. No offense to the people here that have very good paying jobs that allow you to live here comfortably, but we need a balance of different mix of classes of people in order for our economy to sustain itself. We can’t only have the rich and wealthy living here and owning everything, who will cater to their needs and services when all the poor and middle class eventually are forced out of town for good?

The local media likes to prance about how the economy is doing so well and everyone is making more money, well how much more money? Because I don’t think MOST people get huge raises from their jobs yearly to keep up with the rising cost of goods and services, including yearly rent hikes that a lot of San Diegans have to deal with, which then creates high amounts of turnover of residents so you never have long term tenants that help creates stability in an neighborhood or an apartment complex.

The median income in SD is what, close to 70K now? That’s still not enough to afford the median home in SD, and the majority of homes sold in SD isn’t even at the median rate, it’s mostly above asking price, so even if you wanted to purchase a house here, you are almost guaranteed to be in a bidding war with other potential buyers that probably have more money than you do.

It’s nuts.
I work with a LOT of people that live in TJ and work here.

Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM

334 posts, read 360,331 times
Quote:
Where do these people live in cities that are more expensive than SD (there are a lot of them): Vancouver, SF Bay Area, Los Angeles, Honolulu, NYC, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego