U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 06:51 PM

3,035 posts, read 13,486,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisabet View Post
Thank you for your responses so far. I did a search in Camarillo and there are homes in that range. It may even be a bit cheaper than Poway.

I like that it was pointed out that Poway feels like it has more of an identity over Rancho Bernardo. Those are the things I'd like to figure out. I'm guessing it's a long shot to find a community that still has character and a sense of charm, with farmers markets, festivals, bike trails etc. (Wouldn't we all!? Ha!- They're called coastal beach towns and they're too expensive!)

Thanks guys! Would love to hear from anybody else who would like to add or suggest. Thank you!
Don't get me wrong, RB has a sense of community and identity as well. Both reside in the Poway Unified School district, so you will find alot of kids in RB going to school in Poway and vice versa (inter school transfers are common because all the schools are good, so you transfer for a specialty). In addition, for folks in North Poway, the stores in RB are closer than the ones in South Poway, which is about 10 miles to the south - we all mix pretty well and there is no border per say. Poway and RB combined is a large territory, then add South Escondido which feels like an extension of RB, and you have a large contiguous diverse group of people at a similar place in life. 4S Ranch is part of RB to the West (few degrees cooler than Poway). Much newer master planned community built on the land that used to be the Ralphs Grocery Farm. Their high school is amazing and looks like a UC campus, but in the end, less character and more conforming. But alot of people prefer conforming, so it's really a personal choice.

Poway and RB have nice farmer's markets (multiple).

I picked Poway because it is a little more diverse than RB and less conforming (i.e. a little more character). It reminds me more of where I grew up in Southern MD.

Camarillo is one of the nicest parts of the San Fernando valley (i.e. Kardashians live there and other celebrities), so I'd be really surprised if homes cost less than Poway. Post a link to one of these lower priced homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
This depends entirely on which beach you go to. We've never had any problem finding parking at Torrey Pines, but we don't park there because it's expensive parking. We've never had any problem finding parking in the lot south of the amusement zone at Belmont Park, but that is farther from Poway/RB.
We often host our kids birthday parties at Belmont park. Futher than Torrey Pines, but again, it seems like you are there in 30 mins or less. Maybe I drive too fast :-)

Honestly, the only place I feel far from that I really enjoy is Coronado. 40 mins to our favorite restaurant with parking.

The point is that compared to most cities, San Diego does not feel really spread out, which is part of what I think gives our city a nice sense of community.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:22 AM

4,428 posts, read 5,822,224 times
>>> We've never had any problem finding parking in the lot south of the amusement zone at Belmont Park, but that is farther from Poway/RB.

That's my favorite beach parking lot. If you can't find a free parking spot there, there's usually plenty of free parking across Mission Blvd.

Belmont Park is under total reconstruction. I just took some out-of-guests there last month. The restaurant that is open is pricey but first-class beach cuisine.

I live about 5 miles from Belmont Park. 20 minutes is a typical drive time door-to-door. But from Poway, an hour or more would be typical under good traffic conditions.

We've had these beach driving time discussions on this forum for years. A few years back, a Hillcrest resident once boasted he could make it to the beach in 10 minutes. At 2am maybe, but under normal driving conditions he'd be lucky to be on the 5 in 10 minutes.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:08 AM

6,216 posts, read 10,052,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
>>> We've never had any problem finding parking in the lot south of the amusement zone at Belmont Park, but that is farther from Poway/RB.

That's my favorite beach parking lot. If you can't find a free parking spot there, there's usually plenty of free parking across Mission Blvd.

Belmont Park is under total reconstruction. I just took some out-of-guests there last month. The restaurant that is open is pricey but first-class beach cuisine.

I live about 5 miles from Belmont Park. 20 minutes is a typical drive time door-to-door. But from Poway, an hour or more would be typical under good traffic conditions.

We've had these beach driving time discussions on this forum for years. A few years back, a Hillcrest resident once boasted he could make it to the beach in 10 minutes. At 2am maybe, but under normal driving conditions he'd be lucky to be on the 5 in 10 minutes.
What circuitous route are you using to take an hour to go from Poway to Belmont Park?!?!? Maybe during rush hour . . .

Old 04-07-2018, 07:17 AM

5,155 posts, read 5,167,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Camarillo is one of the nicest parts of the San Fernando valley...
Camarillo is no where near the San Fernando Valley. It is on the Oxnard Plain and the Conejo Valley, (T.O., Newbury Park, Westlake), lies between it and the SFV. It would take at a minimum of a half an hour to drive from Camarillo to the San Fernando Valley, and that on a day without any traffic. Closer to 45-min/1 hour in traffic.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM

Calabasas
Thousand Oaks
Woodland Hills
Camarillo

Are the areas I looked to live when I almost moved 7 years or so ago.

I've always referred to the area where the 101 goes west between Sherman Oaks to just below Oxnard as the SFV or "Valley".

Looks like technically I stand corrected.

Sorry, but it doesn't take an hour to get to Belmont park from Poway, regardless of the time of day.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:50 AM

272 posts, read 186,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Didn't they close the (State) Hospital 20 years ago? It's now a Cal State campus.

St. Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital not the state hospital. St. Johns Pleasant Valley Hospital It is right near the park and there is an older home track right across the way. There is an elementary school near the housing track and park-Dos Caminos and it isn't far from Adolfo Camarillo HS

Old 04-23-2018, 07:55 AM

272 posts, read 186,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketz View Post
Don't get me wrong, RB has a sense of community and identity as well. Both reside in the Poway Unified School district, so you will find alot of kids in RB going to school in Poway and vice versa (inter school transfers are common because all the schools are good, so you transfer for a specialty). In addition, for folks in North Poway, the stores in RB are closer than the ones in South Poway, which is about 10 miles to the south - we all mix pretty well and there is no border per say. Poway and RB combined is a large territory, then add South Escondido which feels like an extension of RB, and you have a large contiguous diverse group of people at a similar place in life. 4S Ranch is part of RB to the West (few degrees cooler than Poway). Much newer master planned community built on the land that used to be the Ralphs Grocery Farm. Their high school is amazing and looks like a UC campus, but in the end, less character and more conforming. But alot of people prefer conforming, so it's really a personal choice.

Poway and RB have nice farmer's markets (multiple).

I picked Poway because it is a little more diverse than RB and less conforming (i.e. a little more character). It reminds me more of where I grew up in Southern MD.

Camarillo is one of the nicest parts of the San Fernando valley (i.e. Kardashians live there and other celebrities), so I'd be really surprised if homes cost less than Poway. Post a link to one of these lower priced homes.
If you type in homes from $600,000 to $700.000 for Camarillo on a google search you get homes that are pretty nice-older but nice in that price range.

Old 02-04-2019, 03:15 PM

23 posts, read 105,787 times
Hi everyone! I'm back. We have not committed to the big move quite yet, but it is still in the works. We will be taking a trip down there shortly, so I am trying to narrow down our search as to make the best of our days there. Although Poway and Camarillo are still on our radar, we've had friends who've made additional suggestions to look into.

Carlsbad and San Clemente.

We are still hoping for somewhere that has a sense of community and charm. Somewhat removed from the big hustle and bustle. Not too affluent, yet still family friendly, safe and with good schools. (I know, I'm dreamin!)

We will be renting at first, but I'd love to try to get into the area we'd ultimately like to stay and buy in, so as not to disrupt the kids and school again.

Thank you for your help!

Old 02-04-2019, 04:45 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,115,009 times
Carlsbad and San Clemente are both upscale coastal towns. Yes, they both have a fair amount of families, and I know Carlsbad has good schools; not sure about SC, as I don't live there.

Your problem with both of these options will be your budget. They are both extremely desirable places to live, so the cost is high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or