Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 879 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are (possibly) moving to SD this summer from Baltimore. She will be working at UCSD (and I will hopefully be working somewhere). Im an attorney looking for a job (non-litigation). The areas we are thinking are west of I-5. La Jolla, south of there, north PB. Our budget is $2k+ (ish), which appears to be close. I have been REALLY surprised with the lack of rental units not allowing small dogs. I keep hearing how dog friendly SD is, but housing sure appears tough. When is the best time to rent in those above areas? The school year starts at the end of September, but we could be out there as early as July.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 PM

8,484 posts, read 6,889,316 times
It’s a tight rental market and landlords can be picky. Why borrow trouble with pet damaged carpeting and noise complaints by neighbors and potential HOA fines.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:24 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
Not having a job while you are looking for an apartment could be a problem too. If I'm not mistaken, the job market for lawyers is not too great in SD either.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:09 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
You can usually fix the lack-of-job problem by paying 6 - 12 months rent up front.

Money will often also fix any dog objections. When I rented my first house here many years ago, I put down a $10k pet deposit for our 2 small dogs. We went as far as to have resumes with references for our dogs. And we did a 'meet and greet' with the owners. Yes, the $10k was returned to us when we left.

Also, you'll have your best luck dealing directly with owners of properties. Large property managers often have rules that cannot be broken.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:29 PM

774 posts, read 1,778,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
You can usually fix the lack-of-job problem by paying 6 - 12 months rent up front.
Not sure if it's legal, but landlords are skittish about that too, as I understand it:
//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...-12-month.html

Quote:
I put down a $10k pet deposit
The law limits maximum deposit in CA.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:44 PM

1,405 posts, read 1,178,218 times
speaking as a landlord - why would I want to purposely put a creature in my property that will likely mean having to replace the carpeting, increase insurance costs, and potentially mean p*ssing off neighbors and the HOA? Much easier to just rent to someone else that doesn't include those hassles as part of the deal...

Old 04-10-2018, 08:55 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,662,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.b View Post
The law limits maximum deposit in CA.
If someone willingly offers me a deposit that someone else thinks is "too big", I am not under any moral or ethical obligation to refuse. That third party has no role in our transaction.

I doubt I would ever look for, or want, a $10,000 deposit... if there's really that much risk, I don't want that tenant at all. I have a tenant in a Mission Valley condo who has a dog, and the dog is within HOA rules, so I'm fine with it. She's taken good care of that property for years now.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:11 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
July-September tough time to secure a rental.

Private landlords have no particular rhyme or reason why who and when they release there rentals and sometimes who they pick. For instance, My friend posts an ad and takes the first email or call. Not too picky at all. Some have pet restrictions, some don’t. Some care about credit while some don’t and some care that you are gainfully employed. You don’t know.

If you are aggressive with the process - spot an Ad- CALL right away make an appointment and have a deposit ready you face fewer obstacles.

I have one bedroom condo that I rent out - my preference is no pets, still sometimes people are messier. I care less about credit and more about income and my deal breaker- I ask/tell right away that my unit is for max 2 people. I’d get calls with 4-5 people wanting to move into a one bedroom.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:31 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times
Rentals along the coast might be more dog friendly but you’ll most likely have to pay higher rents. Rental prices generally increase 10% and a lot of people spend 50% of their income on rent.

Old 04-10-2018, 12:32 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
it’s a tight rental market and landlords can be picky. Why borrow trouble with pet damaged carpeting and noise complaints by neighbors and potential hoa fines.
bingo !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego