Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 08:13 PM

301 posts, read 164,913 times

Advertisements

He has a nice smile. It looks like a Genuine smile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2020, 08:53 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,457,065 times
Sherman's office did something Marti Emerald's never could; answer emails from people in the 7th district.
I've met him a couple times. Nice enough guy.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:39 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
He's a pleasant person and honestly believes in what he says. However, his goal has been to create a city government by the developers, for the developers, and of the developers.

I get it; we need more housing. However, we don't have to plow under great swathes of our neighborhoods, usually neighborhoods that are south of 8, in pursuit of the City's high-density, low-infrastructure development model (meaning turn every neighborhood into a City Heights).

Old 09-02-2020, 10:15 AM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Marti Emerald's old husband was my 5th attorney! RIP, Merrill.

Had a gold plated Harley....

Old 09-05-2020, 12:26 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,125,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I get it; we need more housing. However, we don't have to plow under great swathes of our neighborhoods, usually neighborhoods that are south of 8, in pursuit of the City's high-density, low-infrastructure development model (meaning turn every neighborhood into a City Heights).
The sprawl alternative--low-density, high infrastructure--is a lot worse for the environment, public finances, and traffic. Or would you prefer more commuters from Riverside and the east county hinterlands clogging up our road and polluting our communities? That's the reality.

Obviously, there can be a middle-ground solution. San Diego is full of strip malls and large parking lots within proximity to half-decent transit. It's time to legalize and normalize different scales of housing in each neighborhood. Not upzone everything, but allow smaller clusters ("villages") along transit corridors and hubs.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:55 AM

I'd prefer more people just move away instead.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:10 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
He's a good friend of mine and a great person. I was really surprised he wanted to get into politics at any level.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He's a good friend of mine and a great person. I was really surprised he wanted to get into politics at any level.

I'm glad he did.
It's too bad he termed out of the 7th. The choices for his replacement are bleak. If that wackadoodle Wheatcroft somehow wins, I'll consider moving.

Old 09-05-2020, 01:55 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
The sprawl alternative--low-density, high infrastructure--is a lot worse for the environment, public finances, and traffic. Or would you prefer more commuters from Riverside and the east county hinterlands clogging up our road and polluting our communities? That's the reality.

Obviously, there can be a middle-ground solution. San Diego is full of strip malls and large parking lots within proximity to half-decent transit. It's time to legalize and normalize different scales of housing in each neighborhood. Not upzone everything, but allow smaller clusters ("villages") along transit corridors and hubs.
Have you seen the mayor's housing proposal? For Mission Valley, which has

A) A trolley line for transit
B) No existing community character
C) Currently no parks, but a big beautiful river park is planned for near term development

He is suggesting apartments 4 stories high (in reality 4.0 FAR but that starts a technical discussion)

Compare that to South of 8 Neighborhoods, which have

A) Only buses for transit
B) Many nearly intact single family neighborhoods
C) The greatest park deficits in the city

He is proposing 8 story apartment buildings (in reality 8.0 FAR) almost randomly abutting single family homes.

The village cluster has been city policy for a generation. People support it as well as redevelopment of commercial areas, but it needs to come with infrastructure, including parks and road improvements.

In my community, I believe the city thinks they can placate us with $1 or $2 million of improvements, while they grow the population by 33%. That just perpetuates the high density, low infrastructure model. It's not even close to paying for whats needed. Several fundamental problems need to be addressed and they will cost tens of millions of dollars.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:51 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,125,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Have you seen the mayor's housing proposal? For Mission Valley, which has

A) A trolley line for transit
B) No existing community character
C) Currently no parks, but a big beautiful river park is planned for near term development

He is suggesting apartments 4 stories high (in reality 4.0 FAR but that starts a technical discussion)

Compare that to South of 8 Neighborhoods, which have

A) Only buses for transit
B) Many nearly intact single family neighborhoods
C) The greatest park deficits in the city

He is proposing 8 story apartment buildings (in reality 8.0 FAR) almost randomly abutting single family homes.

The village cluster has been city policy for a generation. People support it as well as redevelopment of commercial areas, but it needs to come with infrastructure, including parks and road improvements.
Can you provide sources? That assertion is inconsistent with what I've seen from the city.

Also, I don't think you understand what FAR is. Additionally, the context matters...a lot of Mission Valley land (as part of a parcel) is not developable due to flooding, so an FAR of 4.0 may actually be more significant than you think. For instance, the Riverwalk development can only be built on 1/3 of the land. An FAR of 4 would allow the entire buildable area to be covered in a 12-story building. The actual market product/non-slum version would be a collection of 20 story buildings, if they wanted to max the FAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego