Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2018, 07:44 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,848,721 times

Advertisements

I think checking out Raleigh and Charlotte would be well worth it, you’re at the perfect age for either city. I’ve spent a lot of time researching both and want to make a visit there myself, although I’m at the opposite end of the age scale than you. And the Carolina beaches are a few hours away. Durham, Chapel Hill and maybe Carrboro would be interesting for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2018, 07:35 AM

3,073 posts, read 1,743,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
It seems like the only people who appreciate Florida are from the Northeast and South America. Driving around, it's evident that the area has the second highest poverty rate and second lowest median incomes among the 25 largest Metros in the country. It's not just Miami, though, Orlando and Tampa are just as bad, if not worse.
Yes, but I'd rather be in the second highest poverty rate than the first, California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
I know right. Never understood why low wages, high poverty, and crime were so sexy. The weather really isn't worth it...
Crime has been steadily increasing in California since Prop 47 and AB 109 went into effect.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:07 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,738,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Yes, but I'd rather be in the second highest poverty rate than the first, California.
California is a big state. Census figures show that all Florida cities have above average poverty and are at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to average household incomes.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...ngle-year.html

Quote:
Crime has been steadily increasing in California since Prop 47 and AB 109 went into effect.
You sure about that?

San Diego crime rate lowest in 49 years - The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 05-13-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
Yes I agree but there are some issues that you cant get away from regardless where you live in San diego because they are prevalent all over the area.

I moved to OB because i knew the area, had lived there before, it was close to all of my "things" (Hair stylist, doctors, favorite restaurants) and had just gone thru a terrible breakup/called off a wedding. So I made my choices based off the situation and information i had at the time.

I've known for a while I wanted to leave, so now its just figuring out where. My whole life plan changed when i called off the wedding- all plans went out the window.
A bad breakup is enough reason to want a new start a new life in a different city. I was recently in Naples, FL recently and found it similar to Coronado. Might want to check it out. The problem is, it's in Florida. haha

Old 05-13-2018, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 2,157 times
CA = highest poverty rate in the nation....he who lives in glass houses.....

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...81.html]Latest[/url] census stats show a fifth of Californians in poverty | The Sacramento Bee

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed...story.html]Why[/url] is liberal California the poverty capital of America

Real GDP for the top 50 MSA's shows the Miami-FLL-Palm Beach MSA 11th, 5 spots higher than San Diego which came in at 16th.....GDP is a much better means of measuring a MSA's wealth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP[/url]

Old 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetold2018 View Post

Latest census stats show a fifth of Californians in poverty | The Sacramento Bee

Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?

Real GDP for the top 50 MSA's shows the Miami-FLL-Palm Beach MSA 11th, 5 spots higher than San Diego which came in at 16th.....GDP is a much better means of measuring a MSA's wealth:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP
Thanks for saving me from having to post this. @sdurbanite you should learn to use Google, it's a wonderful tool.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:31 PM

You sure about that?

San Diego crime rate lowest in 49 years - The San Diego Union-Tribune[/quote]

Maybe San Diego, I said California

Old 05-13-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
You sure about that?

[url=http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/public-safety/sd-me-sandiego-crime-20180205-story.html]San Diego crime rate lowest in 49 years - The San Diego
Maybe in San Diego, I said California.

Old 05-13-2018, 03:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,157 times
Florida is a big state also.

If you only look at median income, San Diego MSA ranks higher than LA MSA...you honestly think there is more wealth in San Diego than LA MSA--gimme a break....LA is global financial engines, SD is not. The reason it ranks lower from a median income ranking is because there are millions more people in the LA MSA; it is much easier to maintain a higher average off of a much smaller base (SD). Basic math concept....again, the reason why GDP is a better measure of wealth/economic impact for a region than median income. Sure, LA also has more poor areas but I would think most on this forum are not aspiring to live in Compton, South Gate, ...or Barrio Logan....sdurbanite is cherry picking by focusing on poverty and ignoring overall wealth.

Last edited by truthbetold2018; 05-13-2018 at 03:58 PM..

Old 05-13-2018, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthbetold2018 View Post

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-...81.html]Latest[/url] census stats show a fifth of Californians in poverty | The Sacramento Bee

Why]Why is liberal California the poverty capital of America?[/url] is liberal California the poverty capital of America

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...n_areas_by_GDP[/url]
Looks like someone created a new username just for me. So flattered.

And LOL at you trying to bring up GDP. Metro Miami has almost twice the population of Metro SD so of course the it will have a higher number. Now figure out the per capita amount and watch Miami sink to the bottom.....Again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego