Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:08 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,831,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Encinitas.
Ha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 09:28 PM

354 posts, read 383,006 times
Well here we go!!! I'm jetsetting tonight to siesta key!! Then off to Jacksonville, savannah and Charleston!!

Wish me luck!!

Old 04-21-2018, 11:25 PM

36 posts, read 55,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Hawaii. You’ll find nothing close to San Diego outside of Southern California, with the exception of Hawaii.

The housing on the outer islands is much cheaper than on Oahu, it’s the job market that’s tough. Groceries are still expensive, but Costco and a garden will help that out immensely. You’ll have no trouble meeting a man, probably one that doesn’t want kids too. About the only thing on your list they don’t have is big city culture, but you can always take a cheap inter island flight to Honolulu for that. The big issue is it’s far from your family in Ohio, but I’m assuming at your age they’re probably still in good health, plus who wouldn’t want to take a trip to Hawaii. Good luck with your travels.
I've lived in 20 states and nothing comes close southern California outside of southern California. North Carolina is North Carolina bible belt different laws different mindset. No place in the south can be compared.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:59 AM

354 posts, read 383,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elel336 View Post
I've lived in 20 states and nothing comes close southern California outside of southern California. North Carolina is North Carolina bible belt different laws different mindset. No place in the south can be compared.
And that is exactly why I cant wait to see the different places in the south! I'm looking forward to different mindsets and laws from CA!

Old 04-22-2018, 07:38 AM

1,082 posts, read 826,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elel336 View Post
Could not agree more. it's really too bad Southern CA has become so difficult to live a normal life, but the south gives me the heebies....no thanks.

Old 04-22-2018, 04:36 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,235,016 times
Pacifica, CA
Wilmington, NC
St. Petersburg, FL

Old 04-23-2018, 12:16 PM

485 posts, read 321,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
This is crazy. It sounds like my wife posting about me. LOL...We had to leave Oceanside for the same reasons, and I am a native as well. It's been a year and I still get sad about it, but no other choice. It's funny how daily stress can start to overcome the good stuff when it's just day in and day out.
Hi BBslider!

So you left Oceanside? Where are you living now? Do you miss SD? Do you regret leaving or are you happy in your new town? Or do you see yourself eventually moving back?

Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Hi BBslider!

So you left Oceanside? Where are you living now? Do you miss SD? Do you regret leaving or are you happy in your new town? Or do you see yourself eventually moving back?
Hey Curious....you ask loaded and painful questions...LOL! But seriously, we left Oceanside in the summer of 2017. The majority of our decision was realizing we would never be able to afford a home. It didn't used to bother us, but after having two kids and wanting more for them than a shabby rental, we decided to leave. I grew up there, but also spent time in other places. My dad was in the military, but we always came back to Oceanside. It's home for me in a big way. So, yes, I miss it a great deal. I was a very avid surfer, beach, and desert person. I also have a background in horses....long story. Anyways, we had a good job offer from some people we knew in the horse industry who own a big cattle ranch. They knew we were looking to get out of California. We now live on 5000 plus acres on a big cattle ranch in Western Nebraska and have a 2500 sq foot house.

Anyways, not to give you the loooooong story,but yes we are happy in our new town. We are different in that we didn't just move to another big city. Our lifestyle also changed, not just location. Make sense? Our town only 550 people and the nearest city inan hours away where have to grocery shop and that sort of thing. If I wasn't ranching and running a large herd of cattle and working a lot of horses, it would be much harder.What I finally had to admit is that trying to afford living there, and I had a good job at a brewery, was getting too stressful and the joys of San Diego County were waning big time. It sucked on that front. So, when I finish grad school next Spring, we will reevaluate if we stay here doing what we are doing if the people will still have us, or if I look for a job that could afford moving back. I will say living in the middle of nowhere with no traffic and lots of room to roam is pretty addicting. it's also tough because Oceanside has changed quite a bit int he last 10 years. We have that too consider as well. the "golden times" of Oceanside are long gone. I don't regret it and we are happy, but I miss it often.

Please feel free to ask more questions. Thanks!

Old 04-24-2018, 01:24 PM

50,069 posts, read 46,625,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Hey Curious....you ask loaded and painful questions...LOL! But seriously, we left Oceanside in the summer of 2017. The majority of our decision was realizing we would never be able to afford a home. It didn't used to bother us, but after having two kids and wanting more for them than a shabby rental, we decided to leave. I grew up there, but also spent time in other places. My dad was in the military, but we always came back to Oceanside. It's home for me in a big way. So, yes, I miss it a great deal. I was a very avid surfer, beach, and desert person. I also have a background in horses....long story. Anyways, we had a good job offer from some people we knew in the horse industry who own a big cattle ranch. They knew we were looking to get out of California. We now live on 5000 plus acres on a big cattle ranch in Western Nebraska and have a 2500 sq foot house.

Anyways, not to give you the loooooong story,but yes we are happy in our new town. We are different in that we didn't just move to another big city. Our lifestyle also changed, not just location. Make sense? Our town only 550 people and the nearest city inan hours away where have to grocery shop and that sort of thing. If I wasn't ranching and running a large herd of cattle and working a lot of horses, it would be much harder.What I finally had to admit is that trying to afford living there, and I had a good job at a brewery, was getting too stressful and the joys of San Diego County were waning big time. It sucked on that front. So, when I finish grad school next Spring, we will reevaluate if we stay here doing what we are doing if the people will still have us, or if I look for a job that could afford moving back. I will say living in the middle of nowhere with no traffic and lots of room to roam is pretty addicting. it's also tough because Oceanside has changed quite a bit int he last 10 years. We have that too consider as well. the "golden times" of Oceanside are long gone. I don't regret it and we are happy, but I miss it often.

Please feel free to ask more questions. Thanks!
I did the reverse of you. I have a ranch in E Colorado, probably not far from yours. I just couldn't take the winters anymore. That said, we are looking to be out of here some day as it's lost a lot of charm with so many people here. We'll probably still winter here but I need me some of that open space again.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:52 PM

And please forgive the typos! LOL I had to run out the door before I could proofread and now I can't edit it. My typing sucks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego