Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 09:29 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times

Advertisements

The Chula Vista office told me and several other people with appts to go to Window 28. When we got to Window 28, we had to stand in line with everyone that was using a computer to take the written test, andsince they don't accept paper forms anymore, everyone had to stand in line to use a computer. That was 1/2 in hour in line just to use a computer to change my address to get a new CDL with my PMB address on it. Then I stood in line to pay, was given a number, and told to have a seat until they called my number.

That was about 15 minutes, and my number was called to go to Window 21. The woman at Window 21 didn't understand that I had paid for my stickers, had my van smogged, but never received them, because DMV sent them to the wrong address (two addresses ago). So she had to go ask someone else what to. Then she wanted proof of address, and I told that I don't carry my mail around with me.

Then they finally figured out what they were doing, and sent me to another window (inventory), and I finally got my stickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 09:32 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
http://www.****.com/bad-worse-poway-...ur-wait-times/

Old 11-30-2018, 05:40 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
I have been summoned!

The DMV wants to take a picture of my pretty face. It's been 20 years since they've seen me, so they will be sorely disappointed.

Even though I swore I would never go back to Normal Street, I made my appointment for that location. They accept appointments up to 90 days in advance, but the first 60 days were already taken. My appointment is for fairly early in the morning in hopes they'll not have fallen too far behind schedule, and I'll be able to get out by mid-day.

I'm getting the REAL ID, so I need to bring the extra paperwork. Being an organized pack rat, I found what I needed at home within 5 minutes of looking.

If I remember, in 3 months I'll post again and detail my experience.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:52 PM

5,740 posts, read 4,694,854 times
My daughter can take the test for her learner's permit at the end of this month. I tried to get her an appt about a month ago. So that would have been about 60 days out at that time for when we wanted the appt. Next March was first availability! 5 month wait. And I checked every DMV in SD county, and up to south OC and out to Temecula area. What a cluster.

Guess we're gonna go one morning after Christmas and just get there early and wait. Ugh.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:05 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,593,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
This article is from back in May. Since then, some of the DMV's have had Saturday opening hours, and the Poway DMV closed for refurbishment and then reopened. So the information in this article is obsolete.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:44 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Go when it's raining, the place will be empty. I was in and out in five minutes. Couldn't believe my luck.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:15 AM

587 posts, read 443,610 times
Daughter had her wallet stolen and had to replace her license a couple of weeks ago. She went at the end of the day and was in and out in less than 40 minutes.

Old 02-26-2019, 01:24 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
I had my DMV appointment today at the ill-starred Normal Street DMV in Hillcrest.

The entire experience sidewalk-to-sidewalk only took 30 minutes! I was amazed. It no doubt helped that I got their early in the morning, before 9:30am and had an appointment.

The DMV had a staffed table on the sidewalk outside the front door. That removes the congestion and chaos of initial contact with the DMV to the outside where the line can be kept more orderly. They verified that I had an appointment and marked my slip with an "F" versus "G" for the non-appointment people. I was directed inside to fill out my application at a terminal. When completed I followed a roped off queue to a staff person who gave me my line priority. Why they needed a person to do that job, I don't know. Perhaps that person does other things too.

I was told to sit down until my number came up. That wait was only 5 minutes. I went to my window and my paperwork was processed. I was then sent to the camera line which only had one person ahead of me, and returned to my window for completing the process.

There was some room for improvement. It was helpful that the DMV had a number of people directing and assisting people, but it would have been more helpful if these people had a uniform or name tags saying "DMV Staff".

I would recommend more signage identifying lines and their purpose, and where to go after finishing. Other improvements would probably require a differing floor layout, and that won't happen until they build the new building.

To repeat, only 30 minutes between getting into the line on the sidewalk and exiting the DMV back onto the sidewalk.

Old 02-26-2019, 02:01 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I had my DMV appointment today at the ill-starred Normal Street DMV in Hillcrest.

The entire experience sidewalk-to-sidewalk only took 30 minutes! I was amazed. It no doubt helped that I got their early in the morning, before 9:30am and had an appointment.

The DMV had a staffed table on the sidewalk outside the front door. That removes the congestion and chaos of initial contact with the DMV to the outside where the line can be kept more orderly. They verified that I had an appointment and marked my slip with an "F" versus "G" for the non-appointment people. I was directed inside to fill out my application at a terminal. When completed I followed a roped off queue to a staff person who gave me my line priority. Why they needed a person to do that job, I don't know. Perhaps that person does other things too.

I was told to sit down until my number came up. That wait was only 5 minutes. I went to my window and my paperwork was processed. I was then sent to the camera line which only had one person ahead of me, and returned to my window for completing the process.

There was some room for improvement. It was helpful that the DMV had a number of people directing and assisting people, but it would have been more helpful if these people had a uniform or name tags saying "DMV Staff".

I would recommend more signage identifying lines and their purpose, and where to go after finishing. Other improvements would probably require a differing floor layout, and that won't happen until they build the new building.

To repeat, only 30 minutes between getting into the line on the sidewalk and exiting the DMV back onto the sidewalk.
My son just took his behind the wheel drive test at this DMV last Friday. We had an appointment and were in and out in about 45 mins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego