Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 08:01 AM

681 posts, read 2,801,273 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

Trying to get my best bang for my buck converting USD to Euro.

Can anyone recommend a place that has a good exchange rate in town? Banks and airport typically provide a higher exchange rates so looking for alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:22 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Use the ATM in Europe for cash, and your credit card for purchases. You’ll get a much better rate than any exchange here or there, and you’ll be protected with your purchases should something go wrong. Talk to your bank and credit card companies first, often they’ll waive or limit your fees, and increase your daily limit for withdrawals. Thankfully the days of exchanges, and travelers checks, are a thing of the past.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:49 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,280,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Use the ATM in Europe for cash, and your credit card for purchases. You’ll get a much better rate than any exchange here or there, and you’ll be protected with your purchases should something go wrong. Talk to your bank and credit card companies first, often they’ll waive or limit your fees, and increase your daily limit for withdrawals. Thankfully the days of exchanges, and travelers checks, are a thing of the past.
Be aware most credit cards charge a 3% fee for foreign transactions.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,650,636 times
There is a Travelex currency exchange place in Fashion Valley Mall that usually has fair exchange rates. I often use them to convert back any leftover cash after overseas trips and I like to have a bit of cash on me when I go, just in case I can't find an ATM immediately upon landing. They're right next to Nordstrom's. https://www.travelex.com/stores/fash...-diego-ca/1464

Old 04-11-2018, 10:44 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,460,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I’ve never paid a foreign transaction fee with my American Express card. Don’t leave home without it.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
There is a Travelex currency exchange place in Fashion Valley Mall that usually has fair exchange rates. I often use them to convert back any leftover cash after overseas trips and I like to have a bit of cash on me when I go, just in case I can't find an ATM immediately upon landing. They're right next to Nordstrom's. https://www.travelex.com/stores/fash...-diego-ca/1464
Travelex website said $1 = .73 Euro

Currency Converter says $1 = .81 Euro

That's a huge markup.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:27 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,548,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
This used to be the case but now we're seeing more and more credit cards with No FX fee, and I'd even say that out of the new ones from the main issuers, the majority waive the FX fee. Many of these also have no annual fee, such as the Capital One Quicksilver/Savor/VentureOne (not Venture), Discover it Cashback, and Bank of America Travel Rewards. The Costco Visa also just removed their FX fee.

Most ATM/Debit cards still tack on a 3% fee but I'm slowly starting to see banks introduce ones that waive the fee too.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:16 AM

321 posts, read 541,322 times
I can't recommend any local place for that, as their overhead is too high. If you must change cash, do so upon arrival. Better yet, withdraw about 200 at an ATM upon arrival and use credit cards everywhere else and debit cards where the credit cards don't work.

Credit cards either charge a fee for foreign transactions as a separate percentage, or they advertise as "no foreign transaction fee" and just bury that cost in their exchange rate calculation. Either way, the fee is the same, and it's way lower than cash exchange fees.

Europe is 100% chip/pin and there can be issues at automated kiosks (metro stations, unmanned gas stations, parking payment stations etc) when using American chip/sign credit cards. Many aren't programmed to bypass the PIN entry. There are also places that simply don't understand how a credit card without a PIN works. In these cases, your chip/pin debit/atm card is necessary.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:58 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,665,012 times
The Auto Club of Southern California (AAA) offers foreign currency exchange services:

https://www.calif.aaa.com/financial/vacation-money.html

https://onlinetravelcurrency.com/mtwid000714/Basket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego