Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 01:57 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times

Advertisements

First, arriving in San Diego by 1pm means you are leaving Los Angeles by 10am at the latest, maybe even 9:30am. Just wanted to let you know that estimates of a 2 hour to 2 1/4 hours drive time (LA -> SD) are based on no traffic.

Getting off the freeway and into and out of La Jolla to view the seals on a Sunday will be time consuming. There is lots of beach traffic in summer. I second the idea of visiting Mt Soledad. I wonder if these two excursions could be moved to Monday on your return drive.

Coronado is beautiful with many gorgeous mansions alongside the ocean. However, July 1st being a Sunday in summer, parking will be difficult, and possibly time consuming. Therefore, I too suggest the ferry. (Does anyone here know if the rentable bicycles are on the streets of Coronado? That would be a good way to get from the ferry landing to the beach.) Not only is the view of the city beautiful from Coronado, the big wide sandy beach on the ocean side is beautiful too.

I'll be honest, I'm not a big fan of Old Town, however, I know that many Europeans have a fascination with "Old West" type frontier towns. Old Town is not a "must see" in San Diego.

So, here is my idea for your trip.

Drive straight through directly to your hotel, no stopping. Then head either to Balboa Park or Coronado. Go first to Coronado if having time on the beach is important, and seeing the San Diego skyline at night is not a priority. Go first to Balboa Park if you don't want to swim and lie on the beach, and the San Diego skyline at night is a priority. Which ever you go to first, plan on having lunch in Balboa Park or in Coronado. Have your dinner either in the Gaslamp or Little Italy. Little Italy is a close 4 block walk from your hotel. The Gaslamp is more easily reached via the Trolley. Does anyone here know how best for the OP to reach Balboa Park without driving? Your hotel front desk could suggest something if we can't.

Save the seals in La Jolla Cove and add Mt Soledad for your drive back up to Los Angeles. Getting into and out of La Jolla on a late Monday morning should be easier than on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 04:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Save the seals in La Jolla Cove and add Mt Soledad for your drive back up to Los Angeles. Getting into and out of La Jolla on a late Monday morning should be easier than on Sunday.

This is great advice.

If you're after a shot of the skyline, especially at night, Harbor Island, adjacent to the airport, and probably 5-10 minutes from your hotel offers a great one. With that said, I would still go to Coronado if you want a beach day. The beach is beautiful, as is the city. It won't be nearly as crowded, and will have much gentler waves for swimming/wading vs other county beaches.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:51 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Coronado will be crowded and a real bummer coming back across the bridge.
Coronado and Old Town are tourist traps. People stop at the Hotel Del Coronado to look around, but it’s $30 to park and again, a tourist trap. The food there is waaaay overpriced. Old Town is just a bunch of shops with candy and trinkets.

Balboa Park is worth visiting. Very nice with many museums. Some good, some ok. I think the natural history museum in LA is better and the Getty in LA is phenomenal if you like art. The Getty is free and costs $15 per car for parking (last time I was there).

San Diego has a world class zoo as well.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I thought they were in town Sat and Sun, but this is a good suggestion considering they will be in town Sun and Mon. Remember, not to leave too early Monday OP, there will be weekday commuter traffic in North SD County usually through 930AM.

Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Coronado and Old Town are tourist traps. People stop at the Hotel Del Coronado to look around, but it’s $30 to park and again, a tourist trap. The food there is waaaay overpriced. Old Town is just a bunch of shops with candy and trinkets.

Balboa Park is worth visiting. Very nice with many museums. Some good, some ok. I think the natural history museum in LA is better and the Getty in LA is phenomenal if you like art. The Getty is free and costs $15 per car for parking (last time I was there).

San Diego has a world class zoo as well.
No.
There are redeeming features of both Coronado (eg, history of the Del, wide beaches, ) and Old Town (eg, history, authentic non-touristy eateries among,). The SD museums are worthwhile on their own though not as impressive as larger cities and Balboa Park is a crown jewel park and architecture. I like the flora at the zoo and suggest a visit when less crowded on non-summer weekdays, and at the end of the day (when fauna more active).

Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,739,493 times
Wow, as others have already said, that's a pretty tight schedule you have there. I can relate, though, since I've been to Europe and stayed in places for just one night before moving on to the next place. Since you'll be in the car most of time, you can probably add Cabrillo National Monument for the views and maybe make a pitstop at the Mission Beach Boardwalk to check out there beach scene in action. Walking to the end of Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach makes for a good photo op.

Have fun!

Old 06-08-2018, 07:01 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Wow, as others have already said, that's a pretty tight schedule you have there. I can relate, though, since I've been to Europe and stayed in places for just one night before moving on to the next place. Since you'll be in the car most of time, you can probably add Cabrillo National Monument for the views and maybe make a pitstop at the Mission Beach Boardwalk to check out there beach scene in action. Walking to the end of Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach makes for a good photo op.

Have fun!
Those beach plans sound really good. I'll check up Cabrillo NM in google, thanks for the ideas

Old 06-08-2018, 07:58 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
No.
There are redeeming features of both Coronado (eg, history of the Del, wide beaches, ) and Old Town (eg, history, authentic non-touristy eateries among,). The SD museums are worthwhile on their own though not as impressive as larger cities and Balboa Park is a crown jewel park and architecture. I like the flora at the zoo and suggest a visit when less crowded on non-summer weekdays, and at the end of the day (when fauna more active).
Yard of beer, nuff said.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:23 AM

48 posts, read 78,751 times
I also thing Cabrillo is fun and take visitors there, especially if you can combine it with low tide and go down to the tide pools. Liberty station has good places to eat at before or after Cabrillo... e.g. Liberty Public market, Con Pane bakery for a big yummy sandwich and a cinnamon roll and then go to Stone Brewery and have a pint or two and watch the koi.

If you like to hike more than you like museums we have some lovely places to walk. Torrey Pines is a fun one and overlooks the ocean followed by a drink at the Hilton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego