Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,681 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody.

I am going to California on holiday and our visit to San Diego will be quite short, for this reason I am going to show you all my plan and ask for advice about what to see or what to avoid.

We are planning to arrive around 1pm 1st July and leave around 12pm 2nd July. (this schedule can change)
Our plan is:
As we drive from Los Angeles, stop in La Jolla Cove to see the seals.
Go to the hotel and check in. (Bayside inn)
Visits:
- Coronado Island (just to have a pic of the skyline, does it worth?)
- Balboa Park. (few interesting points)
- Oldtown.

Is it enough time for all these things? should we eliminate or add other interesting point? Every kind of tip is welcome for us.

If you can reccommend a cheap and good restaurant we are happy to visit it too.

Is it easy and fine to drive around the city or better leave the car in the hotel and use the public transport?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 09:55 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Is it enough time for all these things?
If you're just going to pass through, yes. But it sounds like a lot of driving for minimal interaction.
Quote:
Is it easy and fine to drive around the city
Yes.

Quote:
or better leave the car in the hotel and use the public transport?
No.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:26 AM

782 posts, read 759,567 times
July 1st is a Sunday, so traffic won't be too bad, but it's close to the 4th of July and a lot of people take their vacations so I'd expect you will see some related heavier volumes, especially on the 5.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:38 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
I say check in and ditch the car Saturday.

Maybe have lunch in Old Town after you check in. It's a quick and easy trolley ride (no more than 7-8 mins) from Best Western Bayside Inn on Ash and Columbia.

In the late afternoon you might want to take a boat ride on a Harbor Cruise so you can check on the bay and the skyline. The loading terminal is within walking distance from your hotel. If you don't want to pay for a Harbor Cruise you can also take the Ferry to Coronado Island, the cost is nominal.

Maybe check out and drive to Balboa Park late Sunday morning.

On your way back up to LA (assuming you are returning), stop at Mt Soledad in La Jolla for a quick look around.

Totally doable

Old 05-19-2018, 02:58 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
If you are a night owl, another thing is that if you aren't exhausted late Saturday night and want to "paint the town red," the Gaslamp Quarters is a quick Trolley/Uber ride from your hotel. The location of the hotel you chose is a perfect choice for public transportation/Taxi/Uber as opposed to staying in La Jolla or Pacific Beach.

Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
[quote=malcorub16;51942264]I say check in and ditch the car Saturday.

Maybe have lunch in Old Town after you check in. It's a quick and easy trolley ride (no more than 7-8 mins) from Best Western Bayside Inn on Ash and Columbia.

In the late afternoon you might want to take a boat ride on a Harbor Cruise so you can check on the bay and the skyline. The loading terminal is within walking distance from your hotel. If you don't want to pay for a Harbor Cruise you can also take the Ferry to Coronado Island, the cost is nominal.

-----------------------------

I was there only once and thought the skyline of the city was gorgeous from Coronado...the above is an easier way to see it for you, instead of driving.

During the day is nice, nighttime is spectacular. There are restaurants on the island (city side) where you can relax, eat a bite and enjoy the view.

Have fun!

Old 05-19-2018, 06:26 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,328,918 times
Coronado will be crowded and a real bummer coming back across the bridge.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 AM

8 posts, read 6,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
Hello everybody.

I am going to California on holiday and our visit to San Diego will be quite short, for this reason I am going to show you all my plan and ask for advice about what to see or what to avoid.

We are planning to arrive around 1pm 1st July and leave around 12pm 2nd July. (this schedule can change)
Our plan is:
As we drive from Los Angeles, stop in La Jolla Cove to see the seals.
Go to the hotel and check in. (Bayside inn)
Visits:
- Coronado Island (just to have a pic of the skyline, does it worth?)
- Balboa Park. (few interesting points)
- Oldtown.

Is it enough time for all these things? should we eliminate or add other interesting point? Every kind of tip is welcome for us.

If you can reccommend a cheap and good restaurant we are happy to visit it too.

Is it easy and fine to drive around the city or better leave the car in the hotel and use the public transport?

Thank you in advance!

You're better off staying in the greater LA area and going to disneyland or Six Flags for the day. Your scheduling makes no sense unless your intent is to drive around, all day. Sunday is a family day in San Diego; Balboa Park, Oldtown and La Jolla will all be busy i.e stop and go, lack of parking. In addition, the San Diego County Fair will be going on and traffic through Del Mar will be bumper to bumper. If you can compromise your expectations you could drive down to San Diego, check into your hotel. Take the coaster from Sante Fe Depot to Solana Beach then uber to the Fairgrounds and enjoy your day there. Then the next day you could either go to Coronado or Oldtown for bfast before your flight.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:24 AM

381 posts, read 344,600 times
It looks like the OP is tacking on a day/overnight trip to SD onto a trip to LA. I agree with the other posters that a one night trip to SD won’t due justice or be worth the traffic and driving hassles. If you are serious about seeing SD you would want to stay longer than overnight.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:55 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
One big advantage is July 4th is Wednesday this year. This will break up which part of the week people take off leading up to, or after, the holiday. It will still be very busy, but not as bad as when the 4th is closer, or on, the weekend. Those years are chaotic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego