Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 12:10 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
San Diego has great food, but if you like IHOP, Dennys and McDonalds, you wouldn't think so LOL
You guys and the IHOP comments are really juvenile. Obviously the thread is about food in SD as a whole. The last straw for me was getting pancake batter filled liquid eggs for $13 at IHOP. My point was even at a dump like IHOP they can't crack a few "real" eggs for you, and how pathetic is that at those prices ?

That's what IHOP meant to me. Usually real eggs are REALLY easy to get. Even airports serve real eggs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 06:54 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
If you haven't been to Teri Cafe, your life is not full yet. SD has great food options....just have to know where to look. Flying Pig, Teri, Primos Taco Tuesday, La Trattoria in Cardiff, Swami's Cafe, etc....it's all there for the person that wants to find it.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:45 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,465,926 times
The last time I ate at IHOP I was hungover in Hayward, CA. Under the table someone had dumped an entire bottle of syrup and it had hardened into a sticky mat in the nasty carpet.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,107,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Do you have any real data to back these claims? It's been awhile since I lived in NYC but I remember that there were few and small 'supermarkets' in Manhattan and that the costs of any sort of fresh produce was extremely expensive for low quality product. I doubt that NYC gets the quality and quantity of fresh produce that we have here in California.
You haven't lived in NYC since the 1960s with naïve "factoids" like that. Few people buy fruit and vegetables at the supermarket. Since the 1970s, there are Korean- and Chinese-operated produce shops in every neighborhood, all five boroughs. In Queens and Brooklyn, these shops are ubiquitous, but they're all over Manhattan, too. Today, these stores are owned by other immigrant groups. The prices are very good, and the quality is far better than in most all of of the US. California is the only state that can compete with what NYC has, according to every conversation. The operative word is still "compete"; the quality isn't better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Produce can be "affordable" at certain times of the year like summer for corn, cherries, and strawberries but the majority of the time it will cost you dearly.

Grapes were around $6 a pound when I left 3 years ago. Strawberries....forget about it. Even lettuce was rip off city.

Both New Jersey and Long Island have farms which truck to NYC but again the deal periods are very short lived.

Just by these few comments I can tell the poster is a gentrifier and not a native.
You attack me as a "gentrifier", though I am actually a freelancer on a limited income. I am a careful shopper (most of my food choices are on sale). You proceed to add outdated 1960s lore to the other poster's lore. My relatives from Georgia just went home from their annual visit with red globe grapes in their suitcase! They can't find similar quality for that price, as central farmer's markets are now harder to find in the South than ever. Produce markets are everywhere in NYC now, all 5 boroughs. Most people don't buy produce in the supermarkets unless there are sales. The produce shops/stands offer two seasons: the Long Is./Jersey/Florida products during the summer and fall, and the Central and (especially) South American produce during the US off-season. My grapes cost around $1.49 to $2.49/lb. during the regular U.S. season, when they come largely from US farms. ("Grapes around $6 a pound" is pure fiction -- I see those prices at fancy gourmet shops only.) Right now my grapes are $2.49 to $2.99/lb. -- they're from Chile for the most part -- in my Queens neighborhood. Corn is one of the cheapest products I ever see: $.99 to $1.99, sometimes less, for four large ears during American corn season in early fall. Boston Bibb lettuce and strawberries depend on the harvest. One year, strawberries and cantaloupes were pricey. Other years, they are not. When did you leave NYC? 1969?

Last edited by masonbauknight; 05-29-2018 at 08:21 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 07:55 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
Swami's Cafe, etc....it's all there for the person that wants to find it.
Good Place but overpriced. Although maybe the one on Vulcan Ave. is cheaper than the one on Encinitas Blvd ? I have been to both but thought the one on E Blvd. was more expensive. Maybe I am wrong.

I also think I had issues with portion sizes. The dinners they serve are decent but prices were that of a normal restaurant. To be fair though even DENNYS gets into the $20 range these days.

Old 05-29-2018, 08:39 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,554 times
Quote:
Good Place but overpriced. Although maybe the one on Vulcan Ave. is cheaper than the one on Encinitas Blvd ? I have been to both but thought the one on E Blvd. was more expensive. Maybe I am wrong.

I also think I had issues with portion sizes. The dinners they serve are decent but prices were that of a normal restaurant. To be fair though even DENNYS gets into the $20 range these days.
I will definitely agree that it is overpriced. And you are correct....even Denny's these days is expensive in SD County.

Try Teri Cafe if you like Chicken Teryaki, good rice, and decent sushi. I would take my wife and kid there quite a bit because we could all eat well and have a Sapporo for less than $40. That was for 3 people with good appetites.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:06 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,756,463 times
Funny thread considering that I'm currently vacationing in SD right now. First and foremost anyone who's says the Mexican food is bad is just plan nuts. The Asian food scene here is also pretty good and diverse. Every region has its strong when when it comes to food and BBQ definitely isn't one of them for SoCal. That being said, there are plenty of good places to eat here in SD, you just have to get off the keyboard and experience them.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:14 AM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Probably the hardest one is finding a good BBQ place. Anywhere that cranks out a lot of it usually loses some QC. Iron Pig has good brisket, ribs ...probably lil piggy.

Beef ribs? I haven't found any place that can touch mine and I make my own sauce and rubs. (secret)

Old 05-29-2018, 09:19 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:

Swamis has GREAT coffee. I’ve been to the NPark, Encinitas, Esco and Sports Arena locations.

The food is little underwhelming and they try to get too cute - I ordered a Garlic turkey omelette from there - way too much garlic turkey and eggs kind of blah combo. I’ve had hard crispy French toast there too. They will throw items in the omelette that aren’t necessarily listed too- one time I had good dose of green peppers. Not a huge fan of the place- coffee is great though.

For Breakfast I prefer Richard Walkers Pancake House and Parry’s by Old Town is really good (huge portions).

Old 05-29-2018, 09:22 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Probably the hardest one is finding a good BBQ place. Anywhere that cranks out a lot of it usually loses some QC. Iron Pig has good brisket, ribs ...probably lil piggy.

Beef ribs? I haven't found any place that can touch mine and I make my own sauce and rubs. (secret)
I do my own beef ribs as well usually don’t order something like that out.

Where do you get your ribs? I’ve tried Seisels - very good kinda pricey. Believe it or not one of the better places I’ve bought short ribs- Food4Less. I was shocked- they were meaty and tasty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego