Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 7,413 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am wondering if there is a thread for low-income housing in San Diego. I am currently living in NYC on low-income housing and was wondering if there is a similar program in San Diego?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 03:52 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,311,390 times
No, there isn't. All low income housing here in San Diego have waiting lists, a mile or more long. Applications are accepted for any new low income housing that's being built built, and have more than enough applicants when they get ready to rent them.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:41 PM

9,821 posts, read 11,539,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by publikdj View Post
Hello,
I am wondering if there is a thread for low-income housing in San Diego. I am currently living in NYC on low-income housing and was wondering if there is a similar program in San Diego?
There's section 8
But like moved has said the list is a mile long
San Diego Housing Commission
Just fill out the application and wait.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:54 PM

And the the wait to get to the top of the Section 8 waiting list is 10-13 years. Hud Housing is also a long wait.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:53 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
What about all the SRO residential studios downtown? I spent my first year in SD living in those.
Do they have a long wait list these days?

Old 04-26-2018, 06:50 PM

There aren't as many as there used to be, and people don't move out very often. The OP wants an apartment, and SRO's aren't apartments. I spend my first six years here living in one. It was locally owned, and very clean.

The owners sold it to an investor from Palm Desert, and he envisioned lots of condos on the land, because it's close to Petco, but it didn't happen. He submitted the permits to the city, and the historical society came out and declared the building a historical landmark, so he couldn't tear it down.

So it's still there, and the rooms are rented for $650 when there's a vacancy, which isn't very often.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:23 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,846,073 times
There are 55+ low income apartments but again, waiting lists. Check out San Marcos. San Diego isn’t the best place to move if you don’t have money.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:25 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,005,641 times
My Church is building some apts on the campus but will probably go to members of the Church.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:41 AM

2,063 posts, read 1,067,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
What about all the SRO residential studios downtown? I spent my first year in SD living in those.
Do they have a long wait list these days?
I currently live in an SRO called The Lincoln Hotel. It has been deemed a historical landmark and is run by The San Diego Housing Commission. People move in and out of here more often than you would think. Not sure if there are any vacancies right now but you can contact them. The manager prefers to communicate through texts or if you live here, you can stop on by. $45 for an application/background check.

The rooms range between $350-$462 which is a great price for those of us on a tight income. Deposit is $800. Its basically a place to reside for those on a low, low, low income and if you make too much, you wont get in. There are two shared showers on each floor along with two bathrooms for the men and one bathroom for the women that comes with a key. Security cameras are on each floor including the the downstairs kitchen and laundry room.

You are allowed to have to have a dog (Yay Ripley!) under 25 lbs. No pet deposit! However, if you do work, please make sure that your dog is ok with being left alone. There is nothing sadder than hearing a dog whine/howl for its owner. In my alternate life, I tied those irresponsible owners to a tree for hours on end with no food, water and left em out in the rain.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:05 AM

I think the OP is looking for an apartment, since his earlier posts indicate that he was getting married. I'm looking for another place to live myself, but I'm not looking for a room in an SRO. Living in one was enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego