Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 07:41 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Why don’t you just get At&t to install a landline. You’ll never have to worry about service or power
I have a Cox landline phone. I don't even think ATT is in my area.

I also have a Tijuana phone number through TelCel which switches over to T-Mobile when in SD. Is it safe to say if one company has an outage the other one won't ?

I'd like to not have 3 numbers and save money is what I am getting at.

Thanks

Last edited by CNYC; 06-08-2018 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 08:22 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
Why don’t you just get At&t to install a landline. You’ll never have to worry about service or power
In an outage where the headend/node/switch/franchise doesn't have power for whatever reason it will be bricked.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:55 PM

OK after some deep thought I have decided to get rid of the phone portion of my cable service leaving me with a new router/modem and internet service.

I've got 2 other numbers to reach me at and 2 emails. That should be sufficient. iPad moves downstairs until I decide to get a Smart TV.

Old 06-08-2018, 11:53 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
All I have is internet, and I'm paying $42/month, which includes the modem.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:46 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
But it only works.... if you have cell service. caveat emptor
celltowers are independent of the grid. so they should work all the time. the problem is during emergency, they are overwhelmed with all kinds of traffic (text/data/call - just to ask if everyone is ok?) not related to emergency situation.

and celltowers can be set up easily.

i would be more worried where to charge my celfones or radio or flashlights.

so you need also Power pack for emergency now

Old 06-11-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
celltowers are independent of the grid. so they should work all the time. the problem is during emergency, they are overwhelmed with all kinds of traffic (text/data/call - just to ask if everyone is ok?) not related to emergency situation.

and celltowers can be set up easily.

i would be more worried where to charge my celfones or radio or flashlights.

so you need also Power pack for emergency now
This is very true. I was more talking the cord cutters and land lines. Yes, the last outage we had there was so much network traffic it was literally 24 hours behind. Plus, the average person won't have any type of backup plan to recharge a bricked phone. They will until the 1/4 tank of gas in their car burns up.

I have a cell backup, two gensets, solar panels and battery bank. Things were about to get really ugly if that power outage would have lasted any longer. We used CB radios and walkie talkies. I was able to talk to text friends on my sat phone too.

We were in Jamul when it happened and it was eerie seeing everything go dark.

Old 06-11-2018, 10:21 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,286,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is very true. I was more talking the cord cutters and land lines. Yes, the last outage we had there was so much network traffic it was literally 24 hours behind. Plus, the average person won't have any type of backup plan to recharge a bricked phone. They will until the 1/4 tank of gas in their car burns up.

I have a cell backup, two gensets, solar panels and battery bank. Things were about to get really ugly if that power outage would have lasted any longer. We used CB radios and walkie talkies. I was able to talk to text friends on my sat phone too.

We were in Jamul when it happened and it was eerie seeing everything go dark.
I guess you keep 2 freezers in the garage full of meat/fish and one side of your garage is stacked with ready to eat meals, canned goods.

and barrel of gas

just kidding. I am just reminded of a friend who could be featured in Preppers

Old 06-11-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
I guess you keep 2 freezers in the garage full of meat/fish and one side of your garage is stacked with ready to eat meals, canned goods.

and barrel of gas

just kidding. I am just reminded of a friend who could be featured in Preppers
Min of 5 gas cans and my boat tank is always full. And yes, pretty good supply of canned yummy stuff. I get at least 1 deer a year, 1 hog and a few good trips for tuna to get through non hunting and fishing times. I was raised on a farm/ranch and that's just how we did it. Some call it prepping, I call it deer season

Old 06-12-2018, 04:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I just looked at my COX bill this month and my CABLE TV costs me $100. I went from barely watching any TV to maybe looking at the first 20 minutes of the 10pm news and that's it. Otherwise once in a blue moon I turn it on when I am bored.

My computer on the other hand is the star of the show as well as my beautiful blue tooth speaker. I feel like I am holding onto a relic by holding onto my TV and its costing me $100 a month. Maybe what I really need is a second computer downstairs or a big screen.....that connects to my computer ?

How many of you actually turn the boob tube on anymore ?

Just once I'd like to slip it to COX and what better way than telling them " I don't watch TV anymore " .

Looking forward to the responses.

Thanks
More importantly...how many people are willing to give up their internet? I am noticing a disturbing trend of internet addicts. They are addicted and can't go long periods of time without checking social media, or email. I can understand if you need the internet for work...to check WORK email, but the examples I used are people doing this for their own benefit. It is a major addiction spending all that time looking at a screen.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alverez1820 View Post
More importantly...how many people are willing to give up their internet? I am noticing a disturbing trend of internet addicts. They are addicted and can't go long periods of time without checking social media, or email. I can understand if you need the internet for work...to check WORK email, but the examples I used are people doing this for their own benefit. It is a major addiction spending all that time looking at a screen.
I am a total junkie. I check my emails ALL DAY LONG. Its like a bad nicotine habit.

BUT it also allows me to communicate with people that I wouldn't have the pleasure of communicating with if I wasn't on a computer.

I am on the internet all day because I WANT to connect with people. It's great to do it at your own leisure and in the comfort of your home. Right now I am in my underwear and house slippers drinking a Perrier.

Food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego