Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 08:23 AM

111 posts, read 74,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
San Diego feels like a small community because the natives once lived in a smallish community until San Diego grew rapidly. Then you have a lot transplants here from fly over states that aren't exactly metropolitan types. Then you have a city by the beach with vacationers. Not exactly hustle and bustle here and you tend to get the laid back vibe you experience in smaller communities.

Orange County diversity?
Fly over states? Nope. Rich jackholes from large cities east of the Mississippi. That migration happened in the last 20 years. Flyover country wouldn’t have caused a major shift in San Diego’s political environment. Once Reagan’s “lucky city”, San Diego is just a southern version San Francisco. Complete with homeless people taking a dump in the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:44 AM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post
Fly over states? Nope. Rich jackholes from large cities east of the Mississippi. That migration happened in the last 20 years. Flyover country wouldn’t have caused a major shift in San Diego’s political environment. Once Reagan’s “lucky city”, San Diego is just a southern version San Francisco. Complete with homeless people taking a dump in the streets.
There are a lot of middle America and more specifically Midwest transplants in SD not just here for the Marines or Navy

Oddly enough There are actually democrats in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. You know the battle ground states. Pro Union folks that vehemently oppose right to work agenda. These are likely the same people that want a slightly more progressive area and in my opinion probably more likely to leave a fly over state. They just aren’t CA left but they still vote blue. I attempted to start my professional career in Cleveland almost two decades ago before I moved here. Over the past two decades but probably less of an extent now There are lots of young professionals highly educated in flyover states that sit through four five six seven years of left leaning curriculum, and go west of east to major metro areas for jobs.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:49 AM

111 posts, read 74,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
There are a lot of middle America and more specifically Midwest transplants in SD not just here for the Marines or Navy

Oddly enough There are actually democrats in states like Wisconsin, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc. You know the battle ground states. Pro Union folks that vehemently oppose right to work agenda. These are likely the same people that want a slightly more progressive area and in my opinion probably more likely to leave a fly over state. They just aren’t CA left but they still vote blue. I attempted to start my professional career in Cleveland almost two decades ago before I moved here. Over the past two decades but probably less of an extent now There are lots of young professionals highly educated in flyover states that sit through four five six seven years of left leaning curriculum, and go west of east to major metro areas for jobs.
Part of the Midwest is east of the Mississippi. Namely Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Cleveland and Chicago.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:17 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post
Give it 10 years. San Diego hasn’t had a small town feel since the 1980s.
Most of the San Diego posters on CD are still living back in an '80s frame of mind. The demographics of the CD San Diego posters in no way reflect the demographics of San Diego, so take their thoughts and opinions for what they are (outdated and in the minority).

Old 11-05-2019, 12:42 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
Most of the San Diego posters on CD are still living back in an '80s frame of mind. The demographics of the CD San Diego posters in no way reflect the demographics of San Diego, so take their thoughts and opinions for what they are (outdated and in the minority).
can you share the specific demographics data side-by-side, or you cannot ?

Old 11-05-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I don't need to. I've followed San Diego CD forum for nearly a decade (around the same time as you, if I remember back correctly...you might have 1-3 years on me) and both of us know that the demographics of CD (age, sex, income, etc.) skew towards people who do not reflect the demographics of San Diegans.

Frankly, I would be surprised if you disagree since you've interacted with these folks for so long. I mean seriously, think of the major contributors to the SD forum. Are half women? Are 55% minorities? Are 25% foreign-born? Are 50% renters?

Let's not kid ourselves. San Diego CD does not represent San Diego.

*cue backlash from reality check*

Old 11-05-2019, 01:26 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Quote:

I don't need to. I've followed San Diego CD forum for nearly a decade (around the same time as you, if I remember back correctly...you might have 1-3 years on me) and both of us know that the demographics of CD (age, sex, income, etc.) skew towards people who do not reflect the demographics of San Diegans.

Frankly, I would be surprised if you disagree since you've interacted with these folks for so long. I mean seriously, think of the major contributors to the SD forum. Are half women? Are 55% minorities? Are 25% foreign-born? Are 50% renters?

Let's not kid ourselves. San Diego CD does not represent San Diego.

*cue backlash from reality check*

so you cannot

Old 11-05-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
so you cannot
Yep, I made that pretty clear. In your opinion, do you feel the demographics of CD San Diego represent the demographics of San Diego?

Seriously, give your honest opinion. You've been on this forum for a decade. Do you support any claim that CD San Diego demographics proportionately represent San Diego demographics? What does your experience tell you?

There are a variety of backgrounds represented, but it skews towards specific demographics. It's not a negative thing (the SD forum posters provide incredible insights and perspectives, especially compared to other forums).

Old 11-08-2019, 07:01 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
That very well may be, but the opinions of many San Diegans, of all demographics, is that of keeping its “small town” feeling for a city its size. Call it an outdated 80’s mentality or whatever you like, but there’s a reason people choose, and/or chose to remain in, San Diego.

I also think the demographics of the City Data adult user probably reflects that of the city/county of San Diego pretty well? Certain threads are obviously skewed more than others, and certain users post more than most, but there’s enough semi regular/occasional posters, along with those that are very active for a bit and disappear, that have complained about rent prices, made reference to their nationality/race, and given enough clues to their age and gender, if not out right said so, to make me believe there’s a good sampling out there. I certainly think it’s closer to that than just old white male homeowners as you make it out to be.

Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Small city, lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego