Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 06:03 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,502,245 times

Advertisements

San Diego has the weirdest political climate of any city I can think of. It genuinely feels like a melting pot of people with different political backgrounds all kinda just chillin together in one beautiful location. People don't seem to take politics too seriously, which I find VERY comforting. You don't feel like you're constantly being manipulated by others to take sides on a particular political issue like you often do in places like SF or LA.

In general, I think SD lives up to its laid back reputation, especially politically. Probably one of the big reasons I find it to be a very mentally relaxing place to visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2018, 07:36 AM

117 posts, read 129,095 times
politically there's quite a few centrists here.

Old 06-05-2018, 08:48 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
I was born in a small town
Were you educated in a small town?

Will you die in a small town?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
"....And I live in a small town, probably die in small town."

This one doesn't seem to be true. In all of my cases, my neighbors have seemed to be pretty much mind their own business. We've always been cordial, but I've never really developed a relationship with a neighbor that would all them to be "all up in my business." Most people keep to themselves in San Diego or can even at times be outright aloof.

The stereotypes are good weather, laid back lifestyle and the surf culture. If you look at one of those animated maps, usually SF has a little Golden Gate bridge with skyscrapers, LA has the Hollywood sign with a little cartoon Oscar award and San Diego usually has the little surfer guy. In the case below, they even gave us a little mission. Don't mention this to Topper, but SJ doesn't even make the map.

I thought SF was much more north than this map shows.

I'm not from CA, so yeah ...

Old 06-05-2018, 08:55 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,922,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
"....And I live in a small town, probably die in small town."

This one doesn't seem to be true. In all of my cases, my neighbors have seemed to be pretty much mind their own business. We've always been cordial, but I've never really developed a relationship with a neighbor that would all them to be "all up in my business." Most people keep to themselves in San Diego or can even at times be outright aloof.

The stereotypes are good weather, laid back lifestyle and the surf culture. If you look at one of those animated maps, usually SF has a little Golden Gate bridge with skyscrapers, LA has the Hollywood sign with a little cartoon Oscar award and San Diego usually has the little surfer guy. In the case below, they even gave us a little mission. Don't mention this to Topper, but SJ doesn't even make the map.

Yes, these media/east coaster knuckleheads treat SJ worse than SD. Oh, that Frisco to the north!!!!!!!! It's not much of a cool city but a small town.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:27 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmithMMXVIII View Post
I am originally from here, but people from other areas that moved here constantly tell me this about San Diego...

1.) It feels like a small city even though it is larger than San Francisco.
2.) Everybody is in everybody else's business here and there is no real privacy.
3.) Despite being a Democrat/Liberal state San Diego still feels Conservative.
4.) What is exactly San Diego know for? Why does it get over looked by Los Angeles and San Francisco?
5.) San Diego only has good Mexican and Asian food.
6.) San Diego is not as ethnically diverse enough compared to other cities.

Now since I am from here I really don't understand what they mean completely...but some of those things listed I agree with.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
1. San Francisco is much denser, and more vertical, making it seem larger than it is. Much of San Diego is spread out with many SFR, coupled with a more relaxed vibe, gives it a small town feel.

2. I have never experienced, nor have I ever heard someone say this. Maybe the no real privacy from the standpoint lots are smaller in many areas.

3. San Diego has always been a conservative town. In the 30+ years I’ve been here there’s only been two democratic mayors, the last one having to resign in under one year for being very “hands on” with his staff. I honestly believe the only reason Filner won is San Diego wasn’t ready for a gay mayor.

4. The zoo, the military, beach/surf culture, and Mexico. How can it not get overlooked living in Los Angeles’s and San Francisco’s shadow. If you were to put San Diego in Oregon, or Washington, it would be viewed much different. Conversely if we swapped places with Seattle people would be asking the same question about them.

5. There’s plenty of great restaurants, I’m not even gonna go there.

6. Maybe if you never leave the beach that’s the case. Once you get out of the costal zone it becomes very diverse.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:19 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Were you educated in a small town?

Will you die in a small town?
I bet he was taught to fear Jesus in a small town too.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:04 AM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmithMMXVIII View Post
I am originally from here, but people from other areas that moved here constantly tell me this about San Diego...

1.) It feels like a small city even though it is larger than San Francisco.
2.) Everybody is in everybody else's business here and there is no real privacy.
3.) Despite being a Democrat/Liberal state San Diego still feels Conservative.
4.) What is exactly San Diego know for? Why does it get over looked by Los Angeles and San Francisco?
5.) San Diego only has good Mexican and Asian food.
6.) San Diego is not as ethnically diverse enough compared to other cities.

Now since I am from here I really don't understand what they mean completely...but some of those things listed I agree with.

What is everyone else's thoughts on this?
I've been here now for around 15 years and some of these aspects have changed in that time...

1. The DT area is little smaller and less robust than most cities and SD is spread out pretty well into smaller boroughs with vacant hillsides separating some of these boroughs. It looks smaller. It feels smaller too. As far as other considerations, it is IMO one of the slower cities I've been to- just with pace, work environments, abundance of leisure "vacation" type activities- there is no hurry or sense of urgency gives off almost a small town feel. SD you hear "no worries" a lot.

2. No way. Way too many folks are here today and gone tomorrow. Visit the south...live in the Midwest. Those are two areas where people know your business are in your business and sometimes judging you for your business. I actually love this aspect of SD although the State meddles quite a bit with activities and attempts to regulate/tax/impose their will on everything, but the people living here are very "aloof" as one poster mentioned to each other.

3. It was more conservative when I moved here in 2003. Its changed a lot IMO. The vocal majority is now further left. I think this has to do with more people my age and little younger moving here and being more persuaded than in the past by liberal politics. Don't want to pick a fight here so I'll stop.

4. Vacation/Leisure/Surf/Weather/#Destinationforpeoplethataretiredofweather

5. No but the competition for other types of food is very sparse for a city its size. You can find a few that are really good in certain areas of cuisine. If you are a foodie you know and those places are unopposed and doing well.

6. Depends on your perspective.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
I bet he was taught to fear Jesus in a small town too.

I seriously doubt BLOOMER was taught to fear Jesus in a small town or any town for that matter.

Old 06-05-2018, 03:14 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
^ love > fear, MALCOLM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego