Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 05:39 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,453,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
It's pure selfishness to exclude others from having any opportunity at owning a basic home, especially thinking your desires outweigh others' property rights. Meanwhile, your own home value continues to increase and you benefit as the middle class dies. That ladies and gentlemen, is the original "me generation".
No one is excluding anyone the opportunity of buying a basic house, even here in San Diego. There’s plenty of houses around the county that middle class workers can afford, they’re just gonna require some work, both on the house, and on the neighborhood.

Instead of complaining be a part of the solution and help turn around a neighborhood one house at a time. This might come as a shock to many, but growing up in the 1980’s I saw many of today’s desirable areas of San Diego look very sketchy, to say the least. And contrary to some people’s belief, nothing was handed to those who took a chance, and help turn these areas around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 07:08 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
No one is excluding anyone the opportunity of buying a basic house, even here in San Diego. There’s plenty of houses around the county that middle class workers can afford, they’re just gonna require some work, both on the house, and on the neighborhood.

Instead of complaining be a part of the solution and help turn around a neighborhood one house at a time. This might come as a shock to many, but growing up in the 1980’s I saw many of today’s desirable areas of San Diego look very sketchy, to say the least. And contrary to some people’s belief, nothing was handed to those who took a chance, and help turn these areas around.
Take PB, MB or Clairemont. Cheap builds during the 50-60s that had no insulation, crank windows and wood paneling. Most have been rebuilt and turned into serious nice neighborhoods. I like it just the way it is now. Apartments and condos on the main corridors and single family, nice quiet homes in the rest.

There is plenty of new housing including apartments. All of it is going to be expensive though.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:38 AM

1,798 posts, read 1,121,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post

There is plenty of new housing including apartments.
There is not a single expert in real estate, planning, or government who would agree with this. More importantly, I don't care if the brand new housing is affordable or not. I am not of the belief that new housing needs to specifically be affordable to a certain income bracket.

If an older family with more resources can move into a newer $750k home, then a younger family can move into their 1960s home.

If the older family doesn't have a newer home to choose from, then the younger family will never have a chance to buy an older, starter homes (or) they just displace/price out a working class family in another neighborhood.

The problem is that we aren't building enough homes period.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:58 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newgensandiego View Post
There is not a single expert in real estate, planning, or government who would agree with this. More importantly, I don't care if the brand new housing is affordable or not. I am not of the belief that new housing needs to specifically be affordable to a certain income bracket.

If an older family with more resources can move into a newer $750k home, then a younger family can move into their 1960s home.

If the older family doesn't have a newer home to choose from, then the younger family will never have a chance to buy an older, starter homes (or) they just displace/price out a working class family in another neighborhood.

The problem is that we aren't building enough homes period.
Are you looking for section 8? Because there are plenty of new builds going on.

https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/us/unit...iego-new-homes

They just aren't cheap. They are selling as fast as they build them though.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 9,300 times
Thanks everyone for the help/info. A small anecdote—I was just in SF and met a handful of people from SD at a conference. Most of them were very friendly! Sounds like you may just need to work a little harder in SD to get to know people.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:01 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jatx View Post
Thanks everyone for the help/info. A small anecdote—I was just in SF and met a handful of people from SD at a conference. Most of them were very friendly! Sounds like you may just need to work a little harder in SD to get to know people.
I would most definitely agree with this statement, sorry your thread got hijacked.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:13 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
They want/believe it will drop prices so they can afford to live in SD. It won't as people with money will buy as they are buying now and prices will rise. Nothing to do with NIMBY's as build or not build, prices will NOT come down.
I lived in SD about 30 years ago, and the same arguments could be made then. I ended up leaving because it was too crowded and too expensive.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:26 PM

8 posts, read 9,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
I would most definitely agree with this statement, sorry your thread got hijacked.
Not a problem!

Check your DMs when you get a chance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego