Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 12:31 AM

713 posts, read 1,957,418 times

Advertisements

With all this talk about global warming, moutain pine beetle, and fires, do you think San Diego would be a good place to settle down?

Old 03-30-2008, 06:08 AM

It is looking like the upper midwest (near the the great lakes) will be the NEW California. Everyone will want to be there.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:38 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperStar34 View Post
It is looking like the upper midwest (near the the great lakes) will be the NEW California. Everyone will want to be there.
LOL. Keep dreaming.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:32 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
Don't believe in it,don't really care.Not your typical Southern Californian here.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,133,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Don't believe in it,don't really care.Not your typical Southern Californian here.
You don't believe in global warming? Did you drop out of school in the 4th grade or something? How could you not "believe" in it?

To the original poster. Most people project that SD is headed for serious droughts and water shortages, which will most likely be the first serious issue in the future. Fires are becoming more and more of a danger too, as the warming ocean waters surrounding SD are creating more humidity. Which is creating a lot more fuel for the fires, as we can see right now when we look at the hills. So yes, fires will most likely become more and more common.

You may also want to investigate SD's current political corruption issues, this city has a strong history of corrupt politicians who mismanage the city and frivelously spend or steal it's money, leaving it in serious need of lots of improvements that it never recieved. Gang issues, crime, and drug smuggling issues are serious too. And other things unrelated to climate change are ruining this city already. Such as skyrocketing costs of living and the repercussions it is having within the communities. Homelessness and poverty is getting out of control more and more lately here.

In my opinion SD is a great place to visit, or maybe live for a short period of time. But in the future, SD is headed for big problems. Climate change is one problem, but the bigger problem is the corruption and mismangement of this city that is leaving it in more and more of a fragile balance every year. But most people around here seem to pay absolutely no attention to this. I don't see any threads on here about SD's proven and obvious political corruption, why?

Now that I think about it. I never really hear people talking about it either. I guess politics just isn't as fun as tanning, cruising around in the SUV blasting music, or masquerading around town in designer clothes. So San Diegans stay away from that little bummer.

So if you do live here, I wouldn't get too comfortable. This city is like a luxery cruise where the captain is asleep at the wheel. And everyone is too distracted and drunk to go and check on him.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:56 PM

202 posts, read 872,676 times
[quote=FunkyMonk;3305120]You don't believe in global warming? Did you drop out of school in the 4th grade or something? How could you not "believe" in it?

Hey dude, whats up?

Global Warming is the old term, now it's called Climate Change. Anyway, from everything I have heard and already seen. Socal is gonna be a bad place to be for climate change. We are already feeling the effects.

I think Socal has had it's run! I believe that the future for real estate here is bleak. We are in the beginning of the water crisis now but once the word gets out, it's gonna harm property values. I think buying real estate here is about as smart as buying real estate in the low lying areas of New Orleans.

FunkyMunk: Watched that movie....."Into The Wild".....great flick! I was a little disappointed with the sad ending, but thought it was a great quality flick overall. We need more movies like that, instead of the garbage that Hollywood cranks out nowadays, with their formula plots and lame cliche's that are regurgitated year after year.

Don't know how into science you are but I have a feeling you might like this: NOVA | The Elegant Universe | Watch the Program (full-screen) | PBS (latest on String Theory and Multiple Universe's)
That is if you haven't already watched it? It's long so you will need some time, there is also a regular size (screen version) on the site, I gave you the fullscreen link. If you like it then you would also probably like: "What the Bleep do we Know" (documentary on quantum physics).

Old 03-31-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
You don't believe in global warming? Did you drop out of school in the 4th grade or something? How could you not "believe" in it?

To the original poster. Most people project that SD is headed for serious droughts and water shortages, which will most likely be the first serious issue in the future. Fires are becoming more and more of a danger too, as the warming ocean waters surrounding SD are creating more humidity. Which is creating a lot more fuel for the fires, as we can see right now when we look at the hills. So yes, fires will most likely become more and more common.

You may also want to investigate SD's current political corruption issues, this city has a strong history of corrupt politicians who mismanage the city and frivelously spend or steal it's money, leaving it in serious need of lots of improvements that it never recieved. Gang issues, crime, and drug smuggling issues are serious too. And other things unrelated to climate change are ruining this city already. Such as skyrocketing costs of living and the repercussions it is having within the communities. Homelessness and poverty is getting out of control more and more lately here.

In my opinion SD is a great place to visit, or maybe live for a short period of time. But in the future, SD is headed for big problems. Climate change is one problem, but the bigger problem is the corruption and mismangement of this city that is leaving it in more and more of a fragile balance every year. But most people around here seem to pay absolutely no attention to this. I don't see any threads on here about SD's proven and obvious political corruption, why?

Now that I think about it. I never really hear people talking about it either. I guess politics just isn't as fun as tanning, cruising around in the SUV blasting music, or masquerading around town in designer clothes. So San Diegans stay away from that little bummer.

So if you do live here, I wouldn't get too comfortable. This city is like a luxery cruise where the captain is asleep at the wheel. And everyone is too distracted and drunk to go and check on him.

Good insight.

So the days of packing and moving to California are over.

I think I'll stay in Chicagoland next to the largest body of fresh water in the world ; )

I will have to rough it throw a few more winters, but gradually Chicagoland will be the prime location to live.

Anyone else have some thoughts on "Climate change?"

Old 04-01-2008, 01:22 AM

1,658 posts, read 7,575,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post

Nah I graduated.2006.And I'm now in college getting good grades.I'm a little "ignorant" on the whole Save the Earth thing.I just think there are much more important things to look into before the "climate change" issue.

Old 04-01-2008, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksouthbay88 View Post
Nah I graduated.2006.And I'm now in college getting good grades.I'm a little "ignorant" on the whole Save the Earth thing.I just think there are much more important things to look into before the "climate change" issue.

With that thinking we should not pay attention to heart disease because it is chronic and happens over time. Yet heart disease is the number one killer in America.

Chronic problems (like climate change) are more important than acute problems. Even though it may not seem like it... now.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 AM

284 posts, read 1,016,671 times
Well, along with "global warming" there has recently been talk of a cooling trend as well. In the 70's there was a similar panic about "global cooling" and the next ice age coming. The earth heats and cools. It's all part of a cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego