Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,566,202 times

Advertisements

I was reading about wrapping last night and my takeaway was that your car needs good paint to wrap. Otherwise the wrap won't take hold and will come off. Any truth to this? I was considering wrapping my old truck instead of repainting it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2018, 01:33 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,550,962 times
A friend of mine had his AC Cobra wrapped in silver. Money was no object for him. Yes, his paint had to be perfect before the wrap. The car looks great.

Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM

^^I bet that Cobra looks sweet

Old 07-17-2018, 03:18 PM

^^I bet that Cobra looks sweet

The Backdraft replica AC Cobra is the best. They were made in South Africa for a long time but now they are built in South Florida: Backdraft Racing - Custom Cobra Kit Car Manufacturers | Backdraft Racing

If anyone brags to you that 'my other car is an AC Cobra', just look at the inside of their left ankle. If it's not scarred, they are lying. It's impossible to get into the drivers seat of an AC Cobra without getting burnt by the sidepipes at least once. Cobra owners call those scars 'snake bites'.

I have a 'snake bite' on my inside right ankle. I've never owned an AC Cobra but I've been a passenger many times. The local club is a real nice group of guys.

Old 07-17-2018, 05:38 PM

I always thought it would be awesome to own a Cobra. Could someone that is 6'3 fit in one?

Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
I always thought it would be awesome to own a Cobra. Could someone that is 6'3 fit in one?
Not sure. I'm 5'10 and I have trouble getting in one without getting a 'snake bite'. But come to think of it, I don't know any tall Cobra owners.

The real problem with owning a Cobra is:
1. You need to know how to do car maintenance and have the tools. A Cobra will nickel and dime you to death on maintenance.
2. You need a two-car garage. One for the car and one for the parts you collect for future repair.
3. A second car for day-to-day driving. A Cobra is like a Harley. You just need a regular car some times.

Here are some positives of owning a Cobra:
1. Want to meet people? Just park your Cobra in a visible parking lot and a crowd will gather around you.
2. Want to lose money owning a Cobra? You won't lose much when you re-sell, if any. Buy an $80k Corvette today and an $80k AC Cobra today. Check the value of each in 5 years. The Corvette value will tank.
3. Insurance and registration are pretty cheap. You need to buy 'stated value' or 'agreed value' insurance.

The Cobra is the featured car at Cruisin' Grand in Escondido on August 10th. Cobra guys (there is one girl owner in town) love to talk about their cars. Just don't ask "Is that Cobra a replica?" All street driven AC Cobra's are replicas. A real Cobra is in a museum. We did have two real Cobra's at our La Jolla Concours d'Elegance last April. Both were trucked in. I unloaded them.

My problem with the AC Cobra is heat. They run hot in the cab and the sun beats you to death on a long drive.

Old 07-18-2018, 02:48 PM

^^^really good info. I remember making model Cobra's as a kid growing up and always wanting one with a 427 big block. I'm sure I couldn't fit comfortably in one but always love seeing them out in public

Old 07-18-2018, 05:52 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,434,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
No, unless you don’t mind being uncomfortable. My friend’s dad in high school had one and he let us all take it out for a spin at his graduation party. I’m 6’4” and couldn’t imagine driving it regularly, even just for pleasure, it was fun though.

The same goes for Magnum PI’s Ferrari 308 GTS. The roommate of a girl I dated was restoring one to sell and let me take it out. Such disappointment that my childhood dream car could never be a reality. Tom Selleck (6’4”) must of hated shooting retakes with it.

Old 07-18-2018, 06:00 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,321,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
^ please post back neighbor's rec, though "happy wife, happy....
I have a place but...they won't work on your car if the paint is peeling and bubbling and like another posted it will be more expensive than painting even if they would.

Auto Armour and SD Wrap.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 8,893,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
My car's original exterior paint is quite weathered (bubbles, peeling) and am considering a vinyl wrap rather than a more likely more expensive re-paint clear coat.
What are the pro's and con's of the vinyl wrap for car?
What is the cost estimate for a small sedan type car?
Any specific excellent places in San Diego that do this type of work?
Now thinking to paint car option.
Any specific recommendations for places that do an acceptable decent paint job at reasonable cost (versus a high-end perfect perfect job)??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego