Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:46 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,083 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I have been out of the loop for awhile as far as job searching. I know CL used to be the place to go, but I am wondering what any of you have had as far as experience in job searches? Where is the best place to look for open positions? I'll be done with grad school in December and want to start looking at possible teaching positions or just anything in my field. I know edjoin.org is good for teaching positions in California, but there is Glassdoor, Indeed, and all of those. I just don't wanna waste my time on sites that aren't fruitful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 09:34 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,318,882 times
www.indeed.com.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:06 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Thanks. I just looked at this. I'm retiring in a few months. I want to take a few months off, then I'll be looking for a low stress part time job to occupy my time. Anybody have any ideas for cool part time jobs.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 PM

50,269 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo42 View Post
Thanks. I just looked at this. I'm retiring in a few months. I want to take a few months off, then I'll be looking for a low stress part time job to occupy my time. Anybody have any ideas for cool part time jobs.
Turners outdoors had a want ad sign.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 PM

I guess I think of Cl as a "no resume, non-professional" type job, where-as I will be doing more the professional level type with much better income potential (hopefully). "Indeed" is the go-to or is there another avenue? I figured 1ATP might know this area pretty well.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 12,416 times
I love Glassdoor for searching to see if it's a good place to work. I love Angel.co to see the Salary. LinkedIn is where I apply.

I live in NYC but I'm sure it's the same deal elsewhere.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,024,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Turners outdoors had a want ad sign.
That would be awesome if they had an employee discount.

Old 07-14-2018, 02:47 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBslider001 View Post
I'll be done with grad school in December and want to start looking at possible teaching positions or just anything in my field. I know edjoin.org is good for teaching positions in California,
If you're looking for jobs in k-12 education, edjoin.org is really the best way to go.

You could also try checking out the websites of individual school districts as they sometimes post their job openings (but most districts these days post their openings on Edjoin).

You can get a list of all of the public school districts and schools in San Diego County on the SD County Office of Education website here: https://www.sdcoe.net/about-sdcoe/pa...districts.aspx

Also read through the detailed job search information for teachers who want to work in California on these two websites: TeachCalifornia.org and https://www.teacher.org/state/california/ If I recall, somewhere on those sites there are job boards, or links to other California job boards for educators.

If you'd be OK with working at a Catholic school in San Diego County, the SD Diocese has a job board for its schools (although it also posts all of its teaching jobs on Edjoin): https://www.sdcatholic.org/diocese/a...rtunities.aspx

For jobs at independent (private schools) the California Association of Independent Schools has a job ad area on its website here: https://caisca.org/page/22442_Job_Listing.asp But again, most of those jobs will also be on Edjoin. Again, you could also try looking at the websites of the private and religious schools in SD county as well.

If you're just getting out of graduate school, ask your school's career office --- and the school where you're doing your practicum/student teaching -- for other possible ideas.

Have you considered subbing for a while in a specific district? Sometimes that can lead to a permanent position when openings pop up.

If you're looking for jobs in higher education, both the Chronicle of Higher Education and InsideHigherEd.com both have excellent job search databases for everything from teachers to administrators to admissions personnel. Individual colleges, including community colleges, also usually list their openings somewhere on their website as well.

Indeed.com has some listings for teachers, but you're probably not going to find a ton of jobs there that aren't already listed on Edjoin or one of the above, with the exception of jobs at education-related businesses (i.e., SAT prep tutors, educational textbook and education software publishers, college advising firms, etc.)

You're probably not going to find jobs for school teachers or other educators on Craigslist, except for tutoring jobs and the occasional job at a business that caters to the education industry.

Good luck with your job search! Glad to hear you're thinking of coming back to San Diego!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
If you're looking for jobs in k-12 education, edjoin.org is really the best way to go.

You could also try checking out the websites of individual school districts as they sometimes post their job openings (but most districts these days post their openings on Edjoin).

You can get a list of all of the public school districts and schools in San Diego County on the SD County Office of Education website here: https://www.sdcoe.net/about-sdcoe/pa...districts.aspx

Also read through the detailed job search information for teachers who want to work in California on these two websites: TeachCalifornia.org and https://www.teacher.org/state/california/ If I recall, somewhere on those sites there are job boards, or links to other California job boards for educators.

If you'd be OK with working at a Catholic school in San Diego County, the SD Diocese has a job board for its schools (although it also posts all of its teaching jobs on Edjoin): https://www.sdcatholic.org/diocese/a...rtunities.aspx

For jobs at independent (private schools) the California Association of Independent Schools has a job ad area on its website here: https://caisca.org/page/22442_Job_Listing.asp But again, most of those jobs will also be on Edjoin. Again, you could also try looking at the websites of the private and religious schools in SD county as well.

If you're just getting out of graduate school, ask your school's career office --- and the school where you're doing your practicum/student teaching -- for other possible ideas.

Have you considered subbing for a while in a specific district? Sometimes that can lead to a permanent position when openings pop up.

If you're looking for jobs in higher education, both the Chronicle of Higher Education and InsideHigherEd.com both have excellent job search databases for everything from teachers to administrators to admissions personnel. Individual colleges, including community colleges, also usually list their openings somewhere on their website as well.

Indeed.com has some listings for teachers, but you're probably not going to find a ton of jobs there that aren't already listed on Edjoin or one of the above, with the exception of jobs at education-related businesses (i.e., SAT prep tutors, educational textbook and education software publishers, college advising firms, etc.)

You're probably not going to find jobs for school teachers or other educators on Craigslist, except for tutoring jobs and the occasional job at a business that caters to the education industry.

Good luck with your job search! Glad to hear you're thinking of coming back to San Diego!
As always Rosie, you have great information. Thank you a bunch for this! I have no problem with Catholic schools. I hadn't even thought of that, so this gives me a lot to go on. I am REALLY hoping we can come home next year. It just depends on what sort of position I can land. As you know, it's all about affordability. We will see what happens!

Old 07-15-2018, 09:41 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,036 times
For teaching...subbing is the tried and true way.

I’m not positive on this but most districts hire at a certain time and it is usually early summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
View detailed profiles of: