Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 01:35 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times

Advertisements

I have been updating my in-house technology lately and the subject of security came up. As of now I've got two security cameras (NEST) which are doing a super job, better than expected. However I'd like to add some sort of alarm/NOISE to it.

A lot of these systems include professional monitoring where the HQ calls you then the cops if you don't respond. Personally I think this is unnecessary and a recipe for disaster with false alarms and fees to the police station. The security cameras send me push notifications and I can do the rest myself.

NOISE. There are DIY alarm systems that include door, window , and motion sensors but most reviews I have read mention LOW noise from the alarms like 80db when they are advertised at 100db. ONE review caught my attention when it mentioned City Noise Ordinance, which leads me to my first question:

Does the city of SD have rules about how loud a home alarm can be ? It seems like some of these companies have to follow certain guidelines laid out to them by the state ????

What *DIY systems do you all recommend that have LOUD alarms ?

My personal theory is if you get the attention of the neighbors I feel it would be more valuable than having the cops come over in *15 minutes.

I have looked into :

Simplisafe

Nest

Frontpoint

Vivint

Is anyone using these now and how are they working out for you ? Again, I don't need a monitoring service just an APP to manage my service and a loud siren/alarm.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2018, 02:36 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
I have about half-a-dozen nest cameras in my home. They work great. All motion detection is turned off. My dogs set off the motion detectors and I hate all the push notifications.

However, I do have a separate motion detector in an area of my home where the dogs can't go. That motion detector has an audible alarm set to medium sound. You can't hear it outside. My feeling is this: if burglars break in my house and they hear any noise they're gone.

I also keep a right-wing radio station on inside the house when I'm gone. On right-wing radio stations people are always arguing. I keep that radio on just loud enough that you can hear it if you put your ear up to the outside walls. Street burglars don't bother with occupied homes.

And there's an ADT sign out front. You can buy them on Ebay.

Last edited by cruitr; 07-18-2018 at 02:54 PM..

Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I have about half-a-dozen nest cameras in my home.
Wow that must eat up your bandwidth big time ?

What alarm system do you use and how loud is the alarm in db's ? Do you subscribe to the monthly service ?

Simplisafe sells an add on siren for outdoors. I wonder if that is my answer. The Simplisafe base station alarm has bad reviews for not being loud enough.

Thanks for responding.

Old 07-18-2018, 04:13 PM

I have a simple Nest motion detector. I'm not sure if they still make it. It goes audible upon motion detection. You can't hear it outside. It also pushes out a notification to me.

My broadband is the max you can get from Spectrum. Since the cameras are pure upload, I don't notice any loss in normal day-to-day internet service. In the near future, I'll be adding a few outdoor Nest cameras. Thank God Spectrum charges zero for data usage.

If I get a motion detector notification, my plan is:
1. scan the cameras (I pay monthly fees on some cameras for video retention)
2. call the local cops
3. call my neighbors (I have phone numbers for all local neighbors).

Have you ever responded to someone's car alarm in a parking lot? I haven't and I've never seen anyone do it. I feel the same way about house alarms. If burglars enter my house, I want to know about it first. Then I'll decide what to do.

Also, all my outside doors are keypad entry. I'll give someone the code if they need to get in. No hidden keys anywhere.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Well I came up with a really good idea for a self serving alarm system without the monthly fees.

1. Hardwire a 30w siren to a motion sensor alarm panel ( they come made for this ) , sensors on front and back door.

2. Instead of buying an outdoor sensor ($60) sleep with MY CAR KEYS next to my bed so if I hear an intruder I can scare them off with my car alarm...which going by reviews is way louder than these DIY home kits.

3. Buy 2 Smart Plugs and use them for the alarm panel and siren, manage them via APPs anywhere in the world.

This took a lot of research but I think I am on to something

Old 07-20-2018, 12:21 AM

My wife and I keep extra car key FOBs on our nightstands. If the typical intruder hears our car alarms go off, they will be gone.

We also keep wasp spray cans next to our bed. 30 foot spray distance. That spray is blinding and should take them down. Baseball bats will finish them off.

I think you're on to something.

Also, my next door neighbor is an active duty Navy Seal. The neighbor behind me has an arsenal of guns. They are both on our Christmas cookie delivery list. If the **** really does hit the fan in San Diego, my wife and I know where to go.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:34 PM

102 posts, read 308,175 times
I use Abode and am happy with it. It is similar to SimpliSafe. They sell an exterior siren with a strobe light too. No contracts, and I don't pay any monthly fees because I don't have or want professional monitoring. I can still control everything and get notified from my phone. Professional monitoring is available, for as little as 3 days.

https://goabode.com/

Wasp spray is ineffective on people. I wouldn't even bother with it, still can't believe anyone recommends this. Compare the YouTube videos of people being sprayed with wasp spray versus people being sprayed with pepper spray. Then read this article too.

https://journal.crossfit.com/article/true-warriors-2

Old 08-01-2018, 03:52 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post

I also keep a right-wing radio station on inside the house when I'm gone. On right-wing radio stations people are always arguing. I keep that radio on just loud enough that you can hear it if you put your ear up to the outside walls. Street burglars don't bother with occupied homes.
That's funny I thought I was the only one that did this. Nothing scares away burglars more than the sound of Rush Limbaugh's voice talking about guns.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtalman View Post

Wasp spray is ineffective on people. I wouldn't even bother with it, still can't believe anyone recommends this. Compare the YouTube videos of people being sprayed with wasp spray versus people being sprayed with pepper spray. Then read this article too.

https://journal.crossfit.com/article/true-warriors-2
I just watched 3 videos where wasp spray was an effective deterrent with home intruders at a 25 foot range. You can't get that range with pepper spray. The only question is legality. Wasp spray could blind the intruder. I'll take my chances in court.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:26 AM

Wasp spray beats using a towel. I had no idea they have it. Some of these buggers sneak through my window at night somehow.

So I've got my two Nest Cameras going and * TWO 30w sirens hidden that are plugged into a smart plug. That means I can sound the siren from anywhere in the world with an internet connection.

Today my Optex 2000 driveway annunciator arrived with 3 motion sensors. This was the best looking kit from my research. The annunciator motion sensors will sound the first alarm then the camera will send a notification alert to my phone. At that point I can sound the second alarm and call for help.

The sirens are brutally loud. If one gets unplugged the other one will sound and by that time the noise will have alerted people.

I don't need someone to call the cops for me. I'll do it myself depending on what the camera sees.

I had a lot of fun doing this project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego