Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 01:29 AM

354 posts, read 382,472 times

Advertisements

What is a safe neighborhood for a late 20s female to live in located 30 mins or less from any of these areas- mira Mesa, poway, kearny Mesa, or el cajon?

I travel to all those places for work every week but can work around rush hours, usually leaving after 9am and coming home around 2pm.

I would prefer to have some nature around me. Less city life, more natural beauty.

Need to be affordable for a 1 bedroom apt ideally under $1350.

I have always stuck to the beach areas and clairemont and I'm ready to spread my wings to see what else might interest me.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:33 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,524,825 times
I'd live right here:
https://www.gardencommunitiesca.com/...asa-mira-view/

It's above your budget but:
1. it's brand new
2. you couldn't ask for a more convenient Mira Mesa location
3. you can walk to anything you need
4. your commute and errands costs would be minimal if you work in Mira Mesa

I hear they have some non-published studio apts. A studio should be a few hundred dollars less.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,771,763 times
Sounds like you are ruling out Downtown and Most of East County and Most of North County because of distance. The beach areas are out of that price range.

Central to all those areas is probably a place off of Aero Drive. I was going to say Clairemont as well.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM

585 posts, read 436,717 times
You are going to have a difficult time finding a 1 bedroom apartment under $1,350. You will get more for your budget if you are willing to rent a 2 bedroom and get a roommate.

My daughter has a very small studio apartment in Crown Point for just over $1,100 a month, but these kind of finds are rare.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:53 AM

70 posts, read 69,158 times
More nature, less city? I'd say anywhere in Poway....behind Walmart...near Sycamore Canyon....certainly not in those apartments near I-15 in Mira Mesa...

Old 07-23-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Sounds like you are ruling out Downtown and Most of East County and Most of North County because of distance. The beach areas are out of that price range.

Central to all those areas is probably a place off of Aero Drive. I was going to say Clairemont as well.
I am still open to clairemont, but havent seen any good rentals lately. North county would be okay but I'm just not sure where since I dont really hang out up there much. Any suggestions?

Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
You are going to have a difficult time finding a 1 bedroom apartment under $1,350. You will get more for your budget if you are willing to rent a 2 bedroom and get a roommate.

My daughter has a very small studio apartment in Crown Point for just over $1,100 a month, but these kind of finds are rare.
Rental prices in San Diego are just outrageous. At 29, who wants to live with a roommate? I've been in bay park and ocean beach for the last 5 years. I'm 3 blocks from dog beach right now paying $1525. There has never been any reason to go east or north when rental prices there are just as bad.

Maybe I'll find a large studio for a decent price like your daughter has.

Old 07-23-2018, 11:37 AM

3,385 posts, read 2,771,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by divagotstyle07 View Post
I am still open to clairemont, but havent seen any good rentals lately. North county would be okay but I'm just not sure where since I dont really hang out up there much. Any suggestions?

Well you would be looking at North County Inland with your price range so that changes options drastically and these are areas with either younger families or older retirees. There are a few exceptions younger professionals working in Carmel Valley or Poway- these are both higher cost areas to live as well.

I would say Clairemont, Morena/Linda Vista and Mission Valley based on your OP are the best bets.

Mission Valley and Mira Mesa can be an acquired taste: you have plenty of eating and shopping options but you can imagine it being a different game living in either area. There are lots of cars and visitors in those areas. Definitely not areas to get in touch with nature either. Mission Valley is becoming very pricey as well.

I think Clairemont or just south of that area: Linda Vista/Morena or even west Mission Valley can get more affordable and closer to hang out type spots for 20/30 somethings. You are closer to the ocean as well and short drive to downtown and closer to beach hangouts

Old 07-25-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Well you would be looking at North County Inland with your price range so that changes options drastically and these are areas with either younger families or older retirees. There are a few exceptions younger professionals working in Carmel Valley or Poway- these are both higher cost areas to live as well.

I would say Clairemont, Morena/Linda Vista and Mission Valley based on your OP are the best bets.

Mission Valley and Mira Mesa can be an acquired taste: you have plenty of eating and shopping options but you can imagine it being a different game living in either area. There are lots of cars and visitors in those areas. Definitely not areas to get in touch with nature either. Mission Valley is becoming very pricey as well.

I think Clairemont or just south of that area: Linda Vista/Morena or even west Mission Valley can get more affordable and closer to hang out type spots for 20/30 somethings. You are closer to the ocean as well and short drive to downtown and closer to beach hangouts
Thanks- that's where I'll look!

Old 07-30-2018, 02:12 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,411,335 times
Have you thought about La Mesa? It’s got a nice downtown, with some cool places someone still in their 20’s could appreciate. You’ll definitely find some areas of it give you more of a rural feeling, or at the very least more trees than the beach or Clairemont, but you’re still close to the city.

Lake Murray, mission trails, and Cowles Mountain will give you the nature setting I think you’re after, especially for walking your dog, sorry I can’t comment on the bee situation out there though. I know I don’t feel like I’m in San Diego anymore when I’m at one of those places. I just looked, and while it’s 78 here at the beach, it’s 89 there. It’s not always 100+ in the summer like people make it out to be in east county.

I’m glad you decided to give San Diego another chance, and will stick around. I’m sure as you explore the county a bit more you’ll find an area you really like. I’ve been here most my life and didn’t realize many places existed. Well I did know, I just never went because i never really left the beach, Charger games were about as far inland as I would venture. Good luck, and have fun searching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego