Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Depending on the new tax will you vote for homeless housing?
Yes if it is for affordable housing too 1 3.03%
Yes if it is for only homeless housing 3 9.09%
No either way, bad idea 7 21.21%
No, waste of my already ridiculous property taxes 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 08:59 PM

13,752 posts, read 8,004,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Here is an investigative piece that features pro’s and con’s with stories of successes and failures both ... pretty fair:
From your link:
Smaller schemes had mixed results: Portland found that around 70% of 416 travelers were still housed three months after traveling, and of those leaving Santa Monica, 60% remained housed six months later.

Here’s a closer look at Portland and their Ticket Home program:

Dillon Hendershot was living in a tent under the Broadway Bridge when he received an $82 bus ticket out of Portland in May 2016.
He was one of the first homeless people to receive a ticket through Portland’s Ticket Home program, which gives bus, plane or train tickets to people who have places to live in other cities.
Hendershot hopped on a Greyhound bus destined for Spokane. Family members promised Ticket Home staff that Hendershot could live with them. But when he got to Spokane, living with family didn’t work out. Now he’s bouncing from friend’s house to friend’s house with no permanent place to sleep.
Hendershot is homeless again, just in a different city. And he’s not the only one. Of the 275 people who have received tickets since Ticket Home launched last year, less than half reported they were still in housing three months later.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/inv.../283-425448690

People like the guy in the video are just getting shuffled around the country and where they end up often nobody really knows. The young fellow in the video (D. Herdershot) appears nice enough but I have no real sympathy for his plight.

So where do you go next if like Handershot you end up on the streets again and the local authorities aren't happy finding you sleeping on a bus bench or in the park.

**Well, maybe try San Diego, San Francisco or LA at least the weather isn’t freezing during the winter.

**Between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2016, 275 people received bus, train or plane tickets through Ticket Home. A pilot program in May and June 2016 got $30,000 and gave 53 homeless people tickets out of Portland. The ticket recipients ended up in cities across the country, from Alaska to New Hampshire. Twelve individuals or families received tickets to other Oregon towns. The most popular destinations by far were in California, with at least 40 people shipped to that state.
From same link posted abovel

Last edited by john3232; 08-02-2018 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2018, 10:21 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
From your link:
Smaller schemes had mixed results: Portland found that around 70% of 416 travelers were still housed three months after traveling, and of those leaving Santa Monica, 60% remained housed six months later.

Here’s a closer look at Portland and their Ticket Home program:

Dillon Hendershot was living in a tent under the Broadway Bridge when he received an $82 bus ticket out of Portland in May 2016.
He was one of the first homeless people to receive a ticket through Portland’s Ticket Home program, which gives bus, plane or train tickets to people who have places to live in other cities.
Hendershot hopped on a Greyhound bus destined for Spokane. Family members promised Ticket Home staff that Hendershot could live with them. But when he got to Spokane, living with family didn’t work out. Now he’s bouncing from friend’s house to friend’s house with no permanent place to sleep.
Hendershot is homeless again, just in a different city. And he’s not the only one. Of the 275 people who have received tickets since Ticket Home launched last year, less than half reported they were still in housing three months later.

People like the guy in the video are just getting shuffled around the country and where they end up often nobody really knows. The young fellow in the video (D. Herdershot) appears nice enough but I have no real sympathy for his plight.

So where do you go next if like Handershot you end up on the streets again and the local authorities aren't happy finding you sleeping on a bus bench or in the park.

**Well, maybe try San Diego, San Francisco or LA at least the weather isn’t freezing during the winter.

**Between July 1 and Dec. 31, 2016, 275 people received bus, train or plane tickets through Ticket Home. A pilot program in May and June 2016 got $30,000 and gave 53 homeless people tickets out of Portland. The ticket recipients ended up in cities across the country, from Alaska to New Hampshire. Twelve individuals or families received tickets to other Oregon towns. The most popular destinations by far were in California, with at least 40 people shipped to that state.
From same link posted abovel
Lol ... wow “40 people shipped” ...

Yo, john ... what you quoted as “a closer look” was an individual anecdotal example. What I quoted was a statistic reflecting percentages of hundreds of examples over a period of time. You understand the difference, right? I can trade individual anecdotal stories with you 24/7/52.

To be clear, I have said these programs have mixed success and failures. I don’t particularly endorse them, personally, so not defending them. They are sometimes good, sometimes poorly, sloppily managed. Sometimes they are misrepresented.

The point of my original response about them relative to your comment, however, remains. You are suggesting that these are flooding the good weather California destinations with homeless persons from all over the country. That is a false narrative. Among the reasons is that the same programs exist in California to send people out of state. And it is done by the thousands, as the report presented.

There is also the issue of the contingency of tickets being granted on condition of housing for the recipient. Whether the person remains housed over time or not is not a controllable factor. But, initially, they are taken off the streets.

What is most significant, in any case, is what I wrote earlier about how small the % of homeless come from out of state to begin with. Read the homeless counts if you want to understand this. The overarching problem is that local residents are becoming increasingly homeless ... and most homeless do not want to leave where they have been established and are rooted ... even if the weather sucks part of the year.

If homeless moved enmass for weather, 400,000 + homeless wouldn’t live where they do in less appealing climates.

Old 08-02-2018, 11:19 PM

Quote:

Yo, john ... what you quoted as “a closer look” was an individual anecdotal example. What I quoted was a statistic reflecting percentages of hundreds of examples over a period of time. You understand the difference, right? I can trade individual anecdotal stories with you 24/7/52.

To be clear, I have said these programs have mixed success and failures. I don’t particularly endorse them, personally, so not defending them. They are sometimes good, sometimes poorly, sloppily managed. Sometimes they are misrepresented.

The point of my original response about them relative to your comment, however, remains. You are suggesting that these are flooding the good weather California destinations with homeless persons from all over the country. That is a false narrative. Among the reasons is that the same programs exist in California to send people out of state. And it is done by the thousands, as the report presented.

There is also the issue of the contingency of tickets being granted on condition of housing for the recipient. Whether the person remains housed over time or not is not a controllable factor. But, initially, they are taken off the streets.

What is most significant, in any case, is what I wrote earlier about how small the % of homeless come from out of state to begin with. Read the homeless counts if you want to understand this. The overarching problem is that local residents are becoming increasingly homeless ... and most homeless do not want to leave where they have been established and are rooted ... even if the weather sucks part of the year.

If homeless moved enmass for weather, 400,000 + homeless wouldn’t live where they do in less appealing climates.

What I am saying is if the number was 530 instead of the 53 we see in the pilot program I suspect we`d still find a very large number off to Cal. Why?

Various reasons including the climate.

Now, do most of the homeless leave their state? Of course not. However, for those who do Cal. is a tough destination to beat.

Last edited by john3232; 08-03-2018 at 12:23 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 12:49 AM

Quote:

No, an effort clearly was made by local authorities to track the 275 who left Portland.

The Guardian showed 417 with a 70% still off the streets after 3 months. However, the article isn`t specific where the Portland figures came from.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-country-study

I provided a link to a Portland news outlet spotlighting the local Ticket Home program. And the numbers which the Ticket Home program provided are likely more accurate about what happened to those who left Portland for greener pastures than found in the Guardian.

Last edited by john3232; 08-03-2018 at 01:18 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 09:17 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No, an effort clearly was made by local authorities to track the 275 who left Portland.

The Guardian showed 417 with a 70% still off the streets after 3 months. However, the article isn`t specific where the Portland figures came from.
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-country-study

I provided a link to a Portland news outlet spotlighting the local Ticket Home program. And the numbers which the Ticket Home program provided are likely more accurate about what happened to those who left Portland for greener pastures than found in the Guardian.
The report from the Guardian does identify its sources ... in postscripts after the end of the piece. If you read that, you will see the depth of their study, though it is left in general terms for brevity rather than citing each specific reference.

I don’t question that the Portland news reporter did a good and conscientious job. But his reporting was very brief and summary in nature compared to the Guardian research study (funded by the Gates Foundation). There is really no comparison between the resources of one local reporter - to the ability to develop in-depth research utilizing a professional team, in a well funded, highly structured, long-term study funded by The Gates Foundation.

The Guardian piece solicited its information from the cities and organizations running the Ticket Home programs. It is almost certain that your local reported article derived much of its information from both the same sources - and the Guardian report itself.

So, when you say you think the local reporting is “likely more accurate” I have no idea why.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
The report from the Guardian does identify its sources ... in postscripts after the end of the piece. If you read that, you will see the depth of their study, though it is left in general terms for brevity rather than citing each specific reference.

I don’t question that the Portland news reporter did a good and conscientious job. But his reporting was very brief and summary in nature compared to the Guardian research study (funded by the Gates Foundation). There is really no comparison between the resources of one local reporter - to the ability to develop in-depth research utilizing a professional team, in a well funded, highly structured, long-term study funded by The Gates Foundation.

The Guardian piece solicited its information from the cities and organizations running the Ticket Home programs. It is almost certain that your local reported article derived much of its information from both the same sources - and the Guardian report itself.

So, when you say you think the local reporting is “likely more accurate” I have no idea why.
The Guardian article was an overview of the U.S. in which you pointed out the figures from Portland: 417 left and 70% were still off the streets after three months.

I believe the point was the Portland figures show such a program can work or at least work in Portland. The postscripts after the end of the piece provide an overview of how information collected across the country. However it does not zero in on the 417 who left Portland.

The link I provided does. It shows the Ticket Home program attempted to contact each of the 275 who left and the and numbers are not nearly as impressive as the 70% success rate found in the Guardian article.

Of the 275 who left Portland 50% were back on the streets or unaccounted for after three months.

Last edited by john3232; 08-03-2018 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:

That`s hardly a guarantee given the discrepancy between the numbers the Guardian provided and those reported by the Portland news outlet.

Last edited by john3232; 08-03-2018 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-03-2018, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...e-2018-ballot/

Affordable housing or homeless housing. Property owners, are you willing to carry the water for this one?
No because more money won't solve the problem. Now SD could make several massive shelters where people could spend a few nights, take a shower and get a few hot meals. But this would likely end up a magnet drawing more "*homeless" into the area.

When I was staying in San Diego I did not a lot of homeless off Park and Washington the first few years.

Then they started to appear.

I was told one of the nearby churches began handing out bag lunches several times a week and that is why they were coming.

The apartment manager locked laundry room door as well as the dumpster out back. I ran into a few hanging out in the car port out back. Not fun opening the door to the car port and getting hit up for change.

*Most of the homeless I saw in SD mirrored those in San Francisco. Many under 40 basically just panhandling and hanging out. Years ago they were referred to as vagrants and hobos. Yes, there are those with mental health issues and some dangerous but they seem the exception.

The homeless cottage industry is fine for those getting a paycheck to run around and collect data but that`s about it.

What to do?

I don`t know except to say enabling rarely works.

Last edited by john3232; 08-03-2018 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego