Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Depending on the new tax will you vote for homeless housing?
Yes if it is for affordable housing too 1 3.03%
Yes if it is for only homeless housing 3 9.09%
No either way, bad idea 7 21.21%
No, waste of my already ridiculous property taxes 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 06:08 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...e-2018-ballot/

Affordable housing or homeless housing. Property owners, are you willing to carry the water for this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 06:45 AM

1,082 posts, read 833,379 times
If I read it correctly, $19 per 100,000 for each homeowner is nothing really, BUUUUUUT.....two things:

1) Where does it stop after it is voted in?
2) Does it really solve the homeless problem? Meaning, do we really think some housing is going to make them all go away?

I guess with #2, it depends on WHY they are homeless (disabled vet, abandoned mental patient). I am not sure just any dude who decides to live on the streets but is very capable should be given a place to live.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:56 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Most of the bums I see have two arms, two legs, and have no problem schlepping their stolen shopping carts full of junk around.

The way I see it, there are two kinds... 1) those who are not competent to care for themselves; and 2) those who are. The first group belongs locked up, receiving the care society can give them, with the "rights" of any child or subjectee to a conservatorship. The second group should get a job, GTFO, or face constant harassment and arrest until they choose one of those options.

I am sick and tired of the "right to be homeless" and the idea that people who have surrendered their humanity have some kind of claim on me and my money.

Old 07-27-2018, 09:09 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
A couple of things here. Wouldn't people just raise rents to cover the difference? Next, this isn't a one time deal. If you are housing the homeless and they don't work what do you do when the money runs out? Demand even more from the tax payers? What if the hotel one doesn't pass but this does.

Clairemont is already expected to take most of the existing homeless and in a very small area. Why beach communities?
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...mont-homeless/
Won't tax dollars go much further elsewhere? I mean, who doesn't want to live near the beach but it's common sense inland houses are much cheaper.

Old 07-27-2018, 10:13 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,663,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
A couple of things here. Wouldn't people just raise rents to cover the difference? Next, this isn't a one time deal. If you are housing the homeless and they don't work what do you do when the money runs out? Demand even more from the tax payers? What if the hotel one doesn't pass but this does.
Or 10,000 more vagrants arrive in San Diego, either of their own volition or bused in by other cities, all eager for our weather and free housing?

Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
The homeless problem should be dealt with on a NATIONAL level, not on a state level. Why? The homeless are always going to gravitate toward milder climate states especially if they were born or last lived in a state where you would die of exposure in bad weather. I cannot hold this against homeless people since they move to nice weather places simply for survival. But why should those target places be the states, cities, and counties that need to pay for homeless care? All other states need to step up to the plate, and the best way to do that is through a national/federal program.

Add to that the fact that most homeless are mentally ill, unemployable (criminal records), partially disabled, or messed up from drugs, and you need a national solution, not a "key to the city".

Old 07-27-2018, 11:53 AM

3,396 posts, read 2,804,642 times
The Homeless issue is being dealt with on a National Level...Envision Centers...one will be in San Diego and with a conservative regime you will see more “hand-up” type policies.

We see more chronic homeless in and around San Diego. That are likely dealing with mental health issues, haven’t held a job in years or even decades and really four walls and roof aren’t fixing the issue. The theory of Housing First assumes the person a) wants to be off the street b) is of sound mind c) can actually someday sustain themselves. You have a lot of folks on the street that can’t check off these three boxes.

If we are talking about ways to use our limited resources. Very simply looking at things, I think we really need to explore ways to make the city more appealing to business. We have a few industries that do okay/well- very few others. You can’t expect people in service and tourists fields to put down a half million on a house

Old 07-27-2018, 05:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
The Homeless issue is being dealt with on a National Level...Envision Centers...one will be in San Diego and with a conservative regime you will see more “hand-up” type policies.

We see more chronic homeless in and around San Diego. That are likely dealing with mental health issues, haven’t held a job in years or even decades and really four walls and roof aren’t fixing the issue. The theory of Housing First assumes the person a) wants to be off the street b) is of sound mind c) can actually someday sustain themselves. You have a lot of folks on the street that can’t check off these three boxes.

If we are talking about ways to use our limited resources. Very simply looking at things, I think we really need to explore ways to make the city more appealing to business. We have a few industries that do okay/well- very few others. You can’t expect people in service and tourists fields to put down a half million on a house
Too late the State Govt is driving them out.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:02 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
This bond got pushed to 2020, however this fall the school district wants more money. The School Board has found a workable funding strategy and are going to beat it into the ground.

The bonds will be for asbestos removal, however, as little asbestos will be removed as possible so they can use that excuse for the next bond issue. In reality, a lot of these 30 year funds are for sports facilities and worse still, hand held electronic devices that will be useless in 3 years.

What the region needs to do is fix its infrastructure backlog. You want to know why people object to more building, it's because of this.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:11 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...e-2018-ballot/

Affordable housing or homeless housing. Property owners, are you willing to carry the water for this one?
Do the structures need to be in SD County?
Put them somewhere else and most will be happy to pay $50 vs the $19 mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego