Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 10:04 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
It doesn't look like it.
NOAA says 70% chance of rain tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Is It Ever Going To Rain In San Diego Again-untitled.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 10:08 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
I just check Weatherbug and Weather Underground, and go by what they say.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:13 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
Interesting despite all that humidity we got this year pretty much all the rain this summer including from Hurricane Rosa somehow evaporated before reaching the ground in California except on mountains over 4000ft. I still remember feeling like it rained once but mostly it was change in temperatures and humidity but hardly any raindrops hit the ground back in August. I would be curious why is that even though the humidity is so high.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:16 AM

6,496 posts, read 7,525,332 times
Quote:
I just check Weatherbug and Weather Underground, and go by what they say.
...and what do they say?

Old 10-03-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
...and what do they say?
WU says 20% today, and 40% tonight, but the little clouds show rain at 8pm with a 40% chance, and continuing until 3am.

WeatherBug says 50% today, and nothing tonight.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:24 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,306,314 times
All the rain chances on weather forecasts since last August seem to get jinxed on the actual day its supposed to come. Though with chances dropping by each and every day to when its due to fall.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:42 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
WU says 20% today, and 40% tonight, but the little clouds show rain at 8pm with a 40% chance, and continuing until 3am.

WeatherBug says 50% today, and nothing tonight.
Hmmm. The fun thing about all of this is they're all different interpretations of the same data/models. The thing I particularly like about NOAA is that in the forecast discussion they talk in some detail about the different models, what they show, and how they arrive at their predictions (great for us science/meteorology nerds!). But whichever source you look at, it should be interesting to see what actually happens. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some rain

(It's worth it to note that while NOAA is predicting a 70% chance, they make a point of saying they're not expecting any sort of impressive rainfall- we're looking at 1/10 to 1/4 inch at most. )

Last edited by Jenkay; 10-03-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 10-03-2018, 01:32 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,452,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Hmmm. The fun thing about all of this is they're all different interpretations of the same data/models. The thing I particularly like about NOAA is that in the forecast discussion they talk in some detail about the different models, what they show, and how they arrive at their predictions (great for us science/meteorology nerds!). But whichever source you look at, it should be interesting to see what actually happens. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for some rain

(It's worth it to note that while NOAA is predicting a 70% chance, they make a point of saying they're not expecting any sort of impressive rainfall- we're looking at 1/10 to 1/4 inch at most. )
I remember a professor nearly 25 years ago saying a meteorologist is no better than a good hitter in baseball, they’ll only be successful about 30% of the time. I seriously doubt it’s even that high with our rain predictions. The extended forecast two weeks ago had it raining M-Th + Saturday this week. Obviously it’s pretty “easy” to predict the weather when you’re in an environment, like us, that has little change much of the year. All bets are off when you need to predict inclement weather. I see not much has changed with all the advancements of their Doppler radar 5000, or whatever the news calls it on tv these days.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:36 PM

WU is now predicting t-storms at 7:30.

Old 10-03-2018, 01:37 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
I remember a professor nearly 25 years ago saying a meteorologist is no better than a good hitter in baseball, they’ll only be successful about 30% of the time. I seriously doubt it’s even that high with our rain predictions. The extended forecast two weeks ago had it raining M-Th + Saturday this week. Obviously it’s pretty “easy” to predict the weather when you’re in an environment, like us, that has little change much of the year. All bets are off when you need to predict inclement weather. I see not much has changed with all the advancements of their Doppler radar 5000, or whatever the news calls it on tv these days.
What I've always heard in defense of the argument you've made is this ... it's harder to predict the weather in San Diego and the West Coast because the storms typically move from off the ocean and onto land, and we have less observational posts at sea than we do over land. So while landlocked cities can look to populated areas where the storm has hit before them to gauge how bad it'll be when it gets to their town, we don't have that advantage.
Seems like with computer modeling it wouldn't be that much of an issue, but many years ago, I interviewed a NWS weather guy and that's what he said. Don't know if it's true, but that's what he said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego