Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:29 AM

72 posts, read 75,947 times

Advertisements

I just watched the youtube video and i am already getting excited to experience SD, especially seeing the seals at the Children's Pool! Thanks a bunch for sharing that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 01:46 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,574,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htnguyen504 View Post
I just watched the youtube video and i am already getting excited to experience SD, especially seeing the seals at the Children's Pool! Thanks a bunch for sharing that!
I live about 5 driving miles from the Children's Pool in La Jolla. We walk our dogs there on the weekend. The problem with that area is getting to it, parking, and getting out. Wear some good walking shoes because you'll need them.

Yes, that is a good video. But I'd rate seeing all of those places in 2 days as 'Mission Impossible'. The Old Town 1-day trolley tour stops at many of those places. Except for La Jolla. I think La Jolla is a separate tour by itself. The beauty of the Old Town trolley is you don't have to deal with parking your car.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:01 AM

1,300 posts, read 2,025,200 times
Quote:
Hi CD'ers! I will be taking a week vacation to Los Angeles and flying into LAX with my girlfriend. We are 30 and have no kids with us and will be having a rental car. Looking to drive to SD for a day trip from Los Angeles in the middle of the first week of September and needing ideas for what to do, eat, and see in SD. I already have hiking to potato chip rock in Ramona on my list, as well as Balboa Park, and checking out Hotel Del Coronado. We love to eat (tacos, sushi, Vietnamese food, burgers but open to anything) , hike, site see, beaches. Not big on drinking and bars. Possibly may stay an extra day if warranted in SD. Any tips would be appreciated!
Just a bit of caution, driving from LA to San Diego can take anywhere from 2-5 hours depending on when you leave and what kind of traffic calamity you hit....

Anyways, if traffic was not an issue:

Day 1: San Diego Zoo in the morning (4-5 hour visit is more than enough if you keep moving). Balboa Park in the afternoon.

Day 2: Hike Torrey Pines in the morning and spend the afternoon at the beach (Blacks, La Jolla Shores, or Cove Children's Pool area)

Tacos and Mexican is going to be your best bet. Find a taco shop on yelp.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:57 PM

26 posts, read 19,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Day 1:
1. Park in Old Town San Diego. You'll find plenty of free parking if it's a weekday. If it's a weekend or holiday, you may need to pay to park. '
Careful there: My mother lives in Orange County, my daughter in LA in the Valley. They both take the train here on many occasions. I pick them up at the Old Town train station (easier than the train depot downtown). Evenings, no problem. Daytime weekdays, I have been there a dozen times without a single parking space available. Have to double park in the driveway along with half a dozen other people circling while waiting for the Amtrak. Seems like a lot of downtown workers park there for free and take the trolley in to work.

Maybe if you travel a few blocks you can find a pay parking lot, but at the train-trolley station, I wouldn't count on it.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdecel View Post
Maybe if you travel a few blocks you can find a pay parking lot, but at the train-trolley station, I wouldn't count on it.
You're right. Free parking at the light-rail trolley parking lot is often hard to get.

However, at the rubber-tire trolley tours stop there's a huge free parking lot. It's seldom full on weekdays. The lot is at Twiggs and Calhoun Sts.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:55 AM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
You're right. Free parking at the light-rail trolley parking lot is often hard to get.

However, at the rubber-tire trolley tours stop there's a huge free parking lot. It's seldom full on weekdays. The lot is at Twiggs and Calhoun Sts.
There are many other trolley stations so one doesn't have to focus on parking at old town. There are many on Friars just a short ways down.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:08 AM

72 posts, read 75,947 times
I forgot to mention that it will be the girlfriend’s birthday. Any recommendations for birthday celebrations? She will be turning the big 30!

Old 08-28-2018, 12:04 PM

3,396 posts, read 2,803,880 times
If I had two days in SD it would center around Balboa Park, La Jolla, Old Town and Coronado. All of these areas offer things you can’t really do or see in other parts of the country. If your youngish PB/Mission is interesting.

Dinner for a 30th? What are you looking for? There are some cool places in Liberty Station (near airport), Little Italy, upscale places downtown and La Jolla. All of these places are in or close by the four areas I mentioned above

Old 08-28-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I forgot to mention that it will be the girlfriend’s birthday. Any recommendations for birthday celebrations? She will be turning the big 30!
Yes, Casa de Reyes in Old Town. It's totally 'al fresco' with live entertainment. Bring a light jacket because it can get chilly at night in San Diego. Just mention it's her birthday and they may play some music at your table.

Casa de Reyes is where I'm taking my out-of-town guests on Saturday night:
https://casadereyesrestaurant.com/

Old 08-29-2018, 10:05 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
I agree that to Casa de Reyes is a really fun spot with an amazing but we find a food pretty Americanized. Don't expect it to be authentic. But it's still totally worth it.

You mentioned Vietnamese food as well, and while most of our Asian foods are located along the booming Convoy corridor, I would recommend stopping in at shank and bones on University Avenue in North Park. I think it you would both enjoy the North Park neighborhood, and that's a fun place for modern Vietnamese food that gives you a good reason to check it out.

Given that you only have 2 days in town I won't add to the main sight seeing recommendations, since those are sie the essentials. Potato chip rock is fun but also very busy. There are so many other amazing hiking trails as well, but they require more time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego