Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 25,505 times

Advertisements

I moved to Escondido in 2006 and I didn't really have any expectations. It took me some time to adapt to everything here - especially the weather, summer was too hot for me since I'm only used to spring-ish weather. People seemed kind of awkward at first, but now I learned to like them. Of course there are nice people and not so nice people - like in every city.

Rents are high yes, but we (me and my boyfriend) have a really nice and big one bedroom apartment with huge backyard in a nice area and pay $800. We both work, so it's ok and it's not ruining us financially at all. (But mind that my friend in Charlotte, NC pays $600 for a 2 bedroom apartment!)

I really really like San Diego or San Diego County and I don't want to move in the near or far future. The weather is awesome, scenery couldn't be more diverse and awesome, the people are nice, I even feel a little bit more at home (I'm from South America) with all the latin vibe in Escondido , I like my job and basically everything's just perfect right now.

So in conclusion: I moved here without any expectations and it turned out great. The only two downsides I see are rent and traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 08:48 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,126,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
That made me laugh. But in all seriousness, sorry you've had a bad time so far. I'm also considering Seattle, but some people say the people there aren't so great either-and some flock back to Cali.

Did you do a lot of research about SD before moving out there or did you think it would just be paradise in your back yard?
I grew up in Northern California. So I assumed it would be a lot the same.

It's all California, how different can it possibly be right? WRONG! Northern California is sooooooooooooooo much better. So I guess you could say that I didn't research it enough and I paid the price. But most of the bad things about So-Cal aren't really official data and hard to come across in research.

Seattle is cool. It does feel kind of boring and the people there are kind of closed-off making it hard to make friends. But whenever i've been up that way i've had great luck meeting people. In fact, that's where I am moving too eventually. The only really bad part about it is the crappy weather.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:59 PM

1,115 posts, read 3,126,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I'm beginning to think you just don't like people, period. I don't expect others to meet my standards because we're all different. There are some people I like and others I don't and I'm sure it's vice-versa. The sense I get from your posts is that everyone annoys you, everyone is shallow, everyone is materialistic, etc. Surely, not EVERYONE you've come across in San Diego fits those descriptions. I know, for a fact, that I don't. Some of us are nice, normal, down-to-earth individuals. Come find us!
I have met a lot of nice people, there are SOME cool people here for sure. But the overall vibe just ruins it. It's like getting sent to prison and meeting a lot of realy cool prison buddies. Sure you're laughing with your friends, but there are thugs and prison guards roaming around, and bars oppressively trapping you.

I know that the way I view SD might sound extreme and really negative. But i have met hundreds of other people who feel just a strongly about it as me. In fact, up in Northarn Cali and Oregon almost EVERYONE shares my negative view of this place. And all over the U.S., SoCal has a reputation for being phony and rude.

I have found that the people who like SD are the people who hang out with their little circle of friends or by themself, and don't pay attention to the vibe on the streets or in public, people who can ignore widespread ignorance and rudeness. But then there are people like me, who really want to live in a good community with a good vibe and a positive way of life, people who are bothered by rude, annoying people being around us all the time. For us, this city gets very frustrating.

It's not just me. SD does have some big, big problems which I would describe as social dysfunctions. Some people are able to deal with them, but for others like me, it just isn't happening. In almost every other state i've lived in I have met people like myself, who lived in SoCal, and escaped becasue this place drove them crazy, and they have no problem saying it straight just like I am on this forum. There are tends of thousands of us

But i've almost escaped The idea that I will actually be leaving this city soon brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Last edited by FunkyMonk; 04-02-2008 at 09:11 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 02:42 AM

284 posts, read 1,013,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakes View Post
I moved to Escondido in 2006 and I didn't really have any expectations. It took me some time to adapt to everything here - especially the weather, summer was too hot for me since I'm only used to spring-ish weather. People seemed kind of awkward at first, but now I learned to like them. Of course there are nice people and not so nice people - like in every city.
cupcakes, I had a question for you and sent you a direct message. Please be on the look out for it!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,243,380 times
Don't worry, FunkyMonk. We are moving in October and are very friendly and far from phony. We'll be your friends. :-)

Old 04-03-2008, 11:58 AM

8 posts, read 38,662 times
Yeah, Seattle rules. I hear everybody in Seattle is cool.

Beavis

Old 04-03-2008, 01:34 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,693,078 times
Great idea for a thread! I'm always curious to know how people have adjusted once they've gotten here.

Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM

957 posts, read 3,342,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
I grew up in Northern California. So I assumed it would be a lot the same.

It's all California, how different can it possibly be right? WRONG! Northern California is sooooooooooooooo much better. So I guess you could say that I didn't research it enough and I paid the price. But most of the bad things about So-Cal aren't really official data and hard to come across in research.

Seattle is cool. It does feel kind of boring and the people there are kind of closed-off making it hard to make friends. But whenever i've been up that way i've had great luck meeting people. In fact, that's where I am moving too eventually. The only really bad part about it is the crappy weather.
I know a girl from NoCal and she too said it's vastly different so I def. believe that, but there's no way I could afford SF for awhile. Hopefully you'll make it to Seattle and find happiness. The weather does seem crappy but I've also heard people hype it up to be worse than it really is. Who knows

Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM

490 posts, read 1,550,570 times
I agree with SanAntoQT- -problem is you FunkyMonk , just leave

Last edited by mewzikguy; 04-03-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 04-03-2008, 04:00 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,860,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewzikguy View Post
I agree with SanAntoQT- -problem is you , just leave
mmm, I don't think thats a fair assessment. Truth be told there are elements of what FunkMonk described in SD. Just as there are rude, aggressive, fast-talkin' crooks on the East Coast. But you are right that most of SD in not as bad as FunkMonk describes- he does need to get out more and meet some non-West-of-the-5 people (find a good church!). Anyhow, I'd rather have FunkMonks dissatisfaction in SD than living anywhere else in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego