Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 AM

418 posts, read 906,227 times

Advertisements

This is a shot in the dark but what areas or neighborhood in Sorrento Valley and surrounding areas could I find walkability to groceries, restaurants and some commercial convenience. I am familiar with the Mira Mesa corridor but was hoping not to be that far east and while pushing into Scripps Ranch.

I am considering a relo opportunity in Sorrento Valley and would ideally like to minimize commute to avoid the highway. Good schools are a huge plus obviously as is access to swimming pools and tennis.

I would do highways for areas north like Solana Beach and Encinitas. I like Carlsbad but it seems far.

Like I said, this is pipedream/wish list. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 AM

673 posts, read 465,444 times
Good luck with that. Nine times out of ten........you are going to drive. Solana Beach and Encinitas are nice but very expensive. If you can afford them then luck is on your side. Don't forget Del Mar. Also there are a couple of back ways in to Sorrento Valley so the freeway isn't the only way. Do your homework.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:50 AM

I don't expect to not drive at all but for some convenience, would be nice to be able to walk to some commercial for quick errands. Not driving on the highway in So CA is akin to going to the beach without getting sand on your feet.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:44 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times
Walkability is more common in the city neighborhoods of Mission Hills, Hillcrest, (also Boston city) etc, which is still close enough commute to Sorrento Valley. Do you walk to work? Now, that's a pipedream, I've lived.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
The Del Mar Heights and Highlands neighborhoods (around Torrey Pines High School, north of Carmel Valley) are increasingly walkable. There is lots of housing (condos, SFH, etc.) and shopping and dining options are popping up like crazy. The Del Mar Highlands center is really popular and they're building the new One Paseo mixed-use development nearby that's supposed to open next year. Very close to Sorrento Valley so maybe worth a look.

Old 08-29-2018, 09:51 AM

Thanks Encintan. That's very helpful and I will check out that area you suggested.

I do not walk now to work but commute on local roads only. The walkability issue is really for us as family once we are together in the evenings and weekends. Given how much sidewalks there are in So. CA, which I love, why not use them.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:41 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
There's a big difference between not having to drive on the freeway to commute and not having to drive at all to go to restaurants/shopping.

I live in Encinitas area, and almost never drive on the freeway. Don't need to.

But, this is SoCal suburbia, so driving is still a must.

Sounds like you're seeking an urban area.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM

No, not looking for urban. Been there and done that and if no kids and need for school, I'd go downtown, Hillcrest or PB but that's not my reality.

I was poking around the Del Mar Heights area that Encinitan suggested. It's exactly what I am looking for. The area has great proximity to good schools without a long drive and appears to be close to community center with pool and tennis. Nice! Also close so some retail which is a huge plus.

I can stomach a commute for me to work, highway or no highway, but when I get home and for ease would be nice not to have to get in the car again and haul out onto the highway to go grab a bite or take the kiddies to school activities, etc.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:32 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
Depending on your 'walkability' definition, the UTC area could be considered walkable. It's also only a few miles from Sorrento Valley.

Here's a map link: https://goo.gl/maps/husB9N3S6jH2

Old 08-29-2018, 04:30 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
My Son just had a baseball game at Canyon Crest Academy High School this weekend, and there are some nice homes/condos in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego