Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 11:49 AM

4,294 posts, read 4,424,318 times

Advertisements

So I started a thread a while back about the minimum wage increase and how it will affect dining out.

As a result I have been using the supermarket a lot more. On the few occasions I do eat out I've noticed that portions have gotten to be ridiculously small and prices have gone up.

The other day I had tacos down on Vulcan Ave at the new taco shop. Normal sized tortillas barely half full. They were so under filled that I never bothered to put salsa on them. They were done in two bites, so why bother ?

Across the street is Napolipizza where a little square of pizza will run you around $5 or maybe a little more.

Panda Express in my area is ridiculous. They fill the plate with 3/4 rice and *** 1 scoop of meat. They have been trained to do this. They all dish out " one spoonful " rations. It reminds me of the scene in Saturday Night Fever when John Travolta's father smacks him on " the hair " and says ONE pork chop..... ONE pork chop !

It seems like not only have prices gone up but portions have gone down as well.

I love to eat out but yet " things being the way they are " I don't do it much anymore.

Every now and then I get a coupon worth using, sometimes they give away free food. Then I go back into my supermarket shell.

Who is giving small portions ? List the offenders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 03:21 PM

673 posts, read 465,525 times
I hardly eat out anymore. In another post I mentioned Mexican eateries no longer serving salsa. Instead? a non descript reddish brown liquid. The mix tastes like the can it came from. It seems like most Mexican food places have lost it.
Many used to serve goat cheese but now it's some yellow brick like substitute.

I get it. With the cost of Workers Comp Ins, food prices going up, taxes, payroll...etc I think more places are going to go belly up unless the food is wonderful.

Down the street from me is a new upscale Hispanic eatery. $15.00 for two cheese Enchiladas, a scoop of bean and rice.
I tried it once........ahhh no, not again. Have people lost their minds paying this kind of money?

Old 09-03-2018, 04:24 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,590,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
So I started a thread a while back about the minimum wage increase and how it will affect dining out.

As a result I have been using the supermarket a lot more. On the few occasions I do eat out I've noticed that portions have gotten to be ridiculously small and prices have gone up.

The other day I had tacos down on Vulcan Ave at the new taco shop. Normal sized tortillas barely half full. They were so under filled that I never bothered to put salsa on them. They were done in two bites, so why bother ?
New restaurant? So their portions aren't smaller than they used to be - they're just smaller than you had hoped/expected.

Quote:

Across the street is Napolipizza where a little square of pizza will run you around $5 or maybe a little more.
Maybe stop going to places that overcharge?

Quote:

Panda Express in my area is ridiculous. They fill the plate with 3/4 rice and *** 1 scoop of meat. They have been trained to do this. They all dish out " one spoonful " rations. It reminds me of the scene in Saturday Night Fever when John Travolta's father smacks him on " the hair " and says ONE pork chop..... ONE pork chop !
They've always served this way. It's nothing new. It's how they keep their prices down. Carb and veg are cheap to buy and cook. Protien, not so much.

Quote:

It seems like not only have prices gone up but portions have gone down as well.

I love to eat out but yet " things being the way they are " I don't do it much anymore.

Every now and then I get a coupon worth using, sometimes they give away free food. Then I go back into my supermarket shell.

Who is giving small portions ? List the offenders.
I observe the opposite of what you're seeing. Portion sizes in restaurants have become ridiculously huge. My DH and I normally share one entree when we eat out, and that's more than plenty of food. It's no wonder the USA has an increasing obesity problem. Lack of exercise isn't the only cause.

I'd much rather have a smaller portion of good food, well-prepared, at a fair price. If a restaurant doesn't offer that I just don't go to that restaurant.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:40 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I’ve noticed if you get a “to go” order, I’ve been getting less food lately compared to eating in, and prices are getting ridiculous, for example for sandwiches. And $10-12 for a pound of turkey from these delis. Seriously way too overpriced. $5.00 for a decent tasting loaf of bread with some nutritional value, just crazy! I eat home most of the time because restaurants are too expensive but my at home grocery bill has skyrocketed this past year. We can’t win.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:54 PM

1,051 posts, read 796,636 times
Now that CA has eliminated restaurant workers as "tipped workers" (i.e. they get paid the full minimum wage regardless of the amount tipped), have people reduced/stopped tipping in restaurants??

Old 09-03-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
Now that CA has eliminated restaurant workers as "tipped workers" (i.e. they get paid the full minimum wage regardless of the amount tipped), have people reduced/stopped tipping in restaurants??
I tip not only according to service but also according to the amount and quality of food I received.

If restaurants charge $15 for an omelette with toast I won't be required to leave a 20 % tip. WHY ? Because we all know omelettes don't cost $15 to make and serve even with overhead. Also I am not giving decent tips when the food is awful.

Eventually being in the food business won't be worth it.

I was thinking wouldn't it be nice is someone started a website like an eBay or Etsy that sells homemade food to people in their area ? Think about it , a lot of people have left overs , or live alone, or like to cook but have no one to cook for. It would be a legal nightmare due to health concerns I'm sure but I still think it's a great idea. Maybe I should start a Go Fund Me page for it.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:23 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times
This is the tourist thing we deal with. Tourists don't normally care what stuff costs while on vacation. Find you local spot that gives out good food for fair and don't talk about it.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:50 PM

3,394 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Tender Greens.

Very tasty but I need almost two entrees there to do the trick.

Shake Shack.

Same thing here too. Luckily these are mainly lunch options. I expect a lunch sized portion, but I don’t go to either of these places for dinner or if I’m a little hungrier than normal.

I think in some circumstances you are starting to see min. wage increases impacting some of our service industry. This is just the start of things

Old 09-03-2018, 09:10 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,850,841 times
Are you referring to the Taco Stand in Encinitas? It’s on Highway 101, not Vulcan, and nite been there for a couple years, hardly new but regardless ... I think they have the best al pastor tacos around. And if you want a really filling taco, try the Sonora taco. We also like Napizza, again, not on Vulcan but on the 101, but prefer others for pizza (Blue Ribbon and Urban).

Old 09-03-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
Are you referring to the Taco Stand in Encinitas? It’s on Highway 101, not Vulcan, and nite been there for a couple years, hardly new but regardless ... I think they have the best al pastor tacos around.
Yes. Good tasting food. No complaints in that department. The portions however are pathetically small and people wait in long lines for this stuff to pay super inflated prices.

Rudy's in Carlsbad is my go to mexican joint. Great food , Good Portion size , and moderately priced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego