Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2018, 08:53 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times

Advertisements

Channel Islands: this place seems worth a visit; what's the skinny? are there any places for non-campiing overnight on island? is it worth a day trip or not enough time? what time of year to go, to avoid? how long does it take to get there from SD? how much is ferry roundtrip? favorite hikes (roundtrip distance), places to go, see?

Catalina I: is this worth a visit? seems touristy or not? expensive? how does it differ from Channel? favorite hikes (roundtrip distance), places to go see?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 03:51 AM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Have you already checked the Channel Islands National Park website? It will answer all of your questions. from transportation to hiking.
Here's the link: https://www.nps.gov/chis/index.htm TripAdviser also has multiple reviews for each of the islands that will give you more insights.

There are no ferries to any of the Channel Islands from San Diego. You'll have to drive to Ventura or Oxnard to catch a boat over. There are no hotels or restaurants on any of the islands, but it's possible to do a day trip from Ventura/Oxnard to a couple of the islands.

Santa Catalina Island is a whole different experience. There is a full tourism infrastructure in Avalon (restaurants, hotels, vacation rentals, stores AND flush toilets. )as well as more undeveloped areas on Catalina that you can do tours to and/or hike in. But there hasn't been ferry service to Catalina from San Diego since the early 1990s. The closet ferry to Catalina is from Dana Point in Orange County.

Here is some information on Santa Catalina to help you get started:

https://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/

https://www.catalinaexpress.com/schedule-fares.html

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-09-2018 at 04:55 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 01:55 PM

Thanks Rosie, jump a little lighter.
Are there any ferries from Catalina to Channel?
Does Channel differentiate sufficiently from undeveloped Catalina to warrant a day trip to Channel?
Seems 1 and 3 hours car from SD to Dana Point and Ventura/Oxford respectively; how long time are ferries one-way and cost?
Seems if one wants Channel day trip from land, best to get up to LA the night prior rather than drive up from SD.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:02 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,646,246 times
No, there are no ferries from Catalina to the Channel Islands. If you have a private boat, you could certainly go from one to the other.

The links I gave you have all of the information on the transportation costs, trip times, hiking, and what there is to do and see on all of these islands.

If you're picturing the lushness of the San Juan Islands in Washington, you'll be disappointed. Like Southern California itself, these islands are more "Mediterranean" landscape than "rain forest." Hiking is very similar to hiking in the SD back country, just with better ocean views.

Of the islands in Channel Island National Park, we've only been to Santa Cruz Island. It is a large island, but there are some short hikes right from the area where you land. If you want to explore beyond the landing area, you need to do so by foot or by kayak . We did it as a day trip from Ventura; we stayed overnight in Ventura. We enjoyed the trip but if we went again, I'd camp overnight on the island to have time to explore.

As for Santa Catalina, there are tours and hikes that will get you out into nature there. Although it's been a few years, I've done the Garden to Sky hike and the Hermit Gulch Trail, which are both accessible from Avalon (they intersect with each other). There are also organized jeep tours that you can take into the interior of Catalina. Two Harbors is much quieter than Avalon, and I think there are some limited overnight accommodations there. If you want a quieter experience, that might be worth looking into.

In my opinion, both islands are beautiful and interesting places to visit, but again they are different experiences since one is in a National Park with no services/restaurants/hotels/transportation and very few people on the island and the other isn't. Again, the NP link I gave will tell you what the other islands are like.

One other thing to know: we found the boat trip over to Santa Rosa to be a little rougher than the trip to Catalina. And, when you get to the island, it's a little harder to disembark than on Catalina as you have to climb up a small ladder to the pier. (At certain times of year, they also use a small boat to get passengers to shore). Going to Catalina, you're on a larger, more stable boat/catamaran and just step off onto the pier.

Maybe start with Catalina, see if you like it, and if so, then give the islands in Channel Island NP a try if you want to be more adventuresome. Catalina is definitely do-able as a day trip from San Diego, but if you want to do any hiking or see more than Catalina, staying overnight on the island is a good idea.

Last edited by RosieSD; 09-09-2018 at 04:15 PM..

Old 09-09-2018, 04:05 PM

��Spread out now, Rosie, doctor come cut loose her mama's reins
You know playin' blind man's bluff is a little baby's game
You pick up Little Dynamite, I'm gonna pick up Little Gun
And together we're gonna go out tonight and make that highway run
You don't have to call me lieutenant, Rosie, and I don't want to be your son��

Old 09-10-2018, 01:36 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
No, there are no ferries from Catalina to the Channel Islands. If you have a private boat, you could certainly go from one to the other.

The links I gave you have all of the information on the transportation costs, trip times, hiking, and what there is to do and see on all of these islands.

If you're picturing the lushness of the San Juan Islands in Washington, you'll be disappointed. Like Southern California itself, these islands are more "Mediterranean" landscape than "rain forest." Hiking is very similar to hiking in the SD back country, just with better ocean views.
Now I remember why I hang around the San Diego forum of C-D. Like you, I know San Diego city pretty well. I'm pretty good on most of the county too. However, you seem to know the entire west coast in great detail. You must've traveled extensively in a prior life. You are a real asset to this forum.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:24 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Now I remember why I hang around the San Diego forum of C-D. Like you, I know San Diego city pretty well. I'm pretty good on most of the county too. However, you seem to know the entire west coast in great detail. You must've traveled extensively in a prior life. You are a real asset to this forum.
Yeah RosieSD is the greatest. I too know a lot about the city, county, and state, but always seem to learn something new. You can pretty much close down the thread once she chimes in. She really knows her stuff, and gives great insight. A real gem to have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego