Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 08:44 AM

192 posts, read 251,702 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
It’s been a while since I posted here, here’s an update and a question! 5 years ago the company I worked for relocated me to SD. We sold our house outside of Sacramento, my husband retired from the military, and we put all our eggs in the SD basket! Hubs decided his 2nd career would be law so he attended CWSL and graduated in April, he’s working in litigation and awaiting bar results. I’m so proud of him, his dedication and hard work to follow his dream. He got a job right away!

After being with my company for 8 years, I have decided to move on. I have accepted a position in Rancho Bernardo (I work in biotech). I was commuting to Sorrento, which is a pain. We live off 1-15 and Aero so the commute I think will be easier. I see the FasTrak express lanes on 15 and I wonder if it’s worth it to buy a FasTrak for my commute? Thanks for your input!

Last edited by mandasand; 09-12-2018 at 09:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:36 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandasand View Post
Hi all,
It’s been a while since I posted here, here’s an update and a question! 5 years ago the company I worked for relocated me to SD. We sold our house outside of Sacramento, my husband retired from the military, and we put all our eggs in the SD basket! Hubs decided his 2nd career would be law so he attended CWSL and graduated in April, he’s working in litigation and awaiting bar results. I’m so proud of him, his dedication and hard work to follow his dream. He got a job right away!

After being with my company for 8 years, I have decided to move on. I have accepted a position in Rancho Bernardo (I work in biotech). I was commuting to Sorrento, which is a pain. We live off 1-15 and Aero so the commute I think will be easier. I see the FasTrak express lanes on 15 and I wonder if it’s worth it to buy a FasTrak for my commute? Thanks for your input!
Nah, you'll be commuting the opposite of traffic (you are correct, your commute will be WAY easier!). On the way North in the morning, there's no traffic to speak of. On the way South the express lanes end where traffic begins, so even with the Fastrak you'll be sitting in traffic from the 163 to Aero on your way home. I mean, it'll get you maybe one exit further before you're stuck most days, but I'm not sure that's worth paying for. That said, when there is an accident or something on the 15 South (maybe 2-3 times a year) it's nice to have.

Source: I've been commuting from South/North Park to Escondido for 13 years. I've had Fastrack for the last 5.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:53 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,664,957 times
Quote:
Hi all,

The "express lanes" are fairly regularly pretty useless... at rush hour, they change it to HOV only.

Usually, they only charge by usage. I'm not sure if you use it "too infrequently" they might tack on a charge. I keep mine, and wind up using it maybe twice a month or so. My wife uses hers a little more frequently, but sees the "HOV ONLY" far too often.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
The "express lanes" are fairly regularly pretty useless... at rush hour, they change it to HOV only.

Usually, they only charge by usage. I'm not sure if you use it "too infrequently" they might tack on a charge. I keep mine, and wind up using it maybe twice a month or so. My wife uses hers a little more frequently, but sees the "HOV ONLY" far too often.
I've never seen HOV only. I'm guessing it's because I'm going the opposite of traffic? I'd be pretty bent if I was commuting IN traffic and couldn't use my Fastrak.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:31 AM

192 posts, read 251,702 times
Thank you! That’s weird that they restrict the FT depending on traffic, seems pointless then!

Old 09-12-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I've never seen HOV only. I'm guessing it's because I'm going the opposite of traffic? I'd be pretty bent if I was commuting IN traffic and couldn't use my Fastrak.
Probably.

Easily a third of cars in the HOV lane at that time are single occupants. I've done it myself... see a sea of red lights in front of me while traffic zips by to the left, cut over, hit the gas, and pray.

I try to find another car with one person and get in front of them. Figure any cops that come up will pop them and leave me be.

I've always thought they should simply keep raising the toll to keep traffic moving at a good speed. If it slows down, raise it again. When it speeds back up, lower it. Maybe it would get to the point that I would no longer think it was worth it, but I've paid much more than the max on I-15 in rush hour back east. There have been times it costs $30 to go a few miles in I-66 in Virginia, and it's worth it...

Old 09-12-2018, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you! That’s weird that they restrict the FT depending on traffic, seems pointless then!
That wouldn't be an issue for you since you're going the opposite of rush hour on your commute, just like I am. I've never once seen "HOV Only" on the express lanes during my commute. On my side (North in the morning, South in the afternoons) all I've ever seen is the price go up when there's an accident or something. Most I've ever seen it was $6 for the entire length.

Last edited by Jenkay; 09-12-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 09-12-2018, 11:26 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,461,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
Probably.

Easily a third of cars in the HOV lane at that time are single occupants. I've done it myself... see a sea of red lights in front of me while traffic zips by to the left, cut over, hit the gas, and pray.

I try to find another car with one person and get in front of them. Figure any cops that come up will pop them and leave me be.

I've always thought they should simply keep raising the toll to keep traffic moving at a good speed. If it slows down, raise it again. When it speeds back up, lower it. Maybe it would get to the point that I would no longer think it was worth it, but I've paid much more than the max on I-15 in rush hour back east. There have been times it costs $30 to go a few miles in I-66 in Virginia, and it's worth it...
The 15 is a ballsy move during the day, nowhere to go if you see the CHP coming. I applaud you for admitting it. I do like your strategy, although I guess he would see you first if just finishing writing a ticket, or sitting on the shoulder. I think we’re all guilty of using a carpool lane solo, just some more than others.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
The 15 is a ballsy move during the day, nowhere to go if you see the CHP coming. I applaud you for admitting it. I do like your strategy, although I guess he would see you first if just finishing writing a ticket, or sitting on the shoulder. I think we’re all guilty of using a carpool lane solo, just some more than others.
That makes me SO MAD when there's an accident or something and I'm in the Fastrak/HOV lane, with my transponder, PAYING to use it for exactly that sort of situation, and a bunch of single-driver folks just hop on over and clog it up too. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? (I never use the HOV-only lanes solo)

Old 09-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
That makes me SO MAD when there's an accident or something and I'm in the Fastrak/HOV lane, with my transponder, PAYING to use it for exactly that sort of situation, and a bunch of single-driver folks just hop on over and clog it up too. Kind of defeats the purpose, no? (I never use the HOV-only lanes solo)
I'm happy to pay. But sometimes they refuse to take my money.

It really burns when a big collision effs the 15, so they open up the Express lanes "FREE" for all... and it instantly becomes the same unmoving mess. Pointless.

And they could do a far better job of moving the barriers around to give three lanes in the direction of rush hour traffic for all of rush hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego