Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:21 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,661,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
I’m thrilled to read your stats.
I hope they’re accurate.

The stats are not mine. They come directly from published reports of the Arizona Secretary of State, the California Secretary of State, the Maricopa County Recorder, and the County of San Diego Registrar of Voters. The facts are easy enough to find if you're so inclined.

As for presidents, I'm in my 60s, so I've voted for and lived through the administrations of a lot of presidents in my lifetime. There has never been a president (or really any elected official) who I've liked and agreed with 100%.

Maybe it's just me, but I believe it is my civic duty to think critically about all elected officials, and that has nothing to do with the party they're a member of or who I did or did not vote for. After all, they serve at our pleasure and are public servants. Like the rest of us they're also just human beings; they make dumb decisions and mistakes just like we do, some more so than others.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with elected officials, including the president. It's our responsibility as citizens to look at the facts of what is going on, and not just the P.R. designed to keep us dumb, fat, and happy. No American is required to swear undying allegiance and loyalty to any elected official.

I, for one, hope and pray that our great nation will never reach a day when we are forbidden to disagree with elected officials, or when our patriotism is determined by swearing allegiance to any particular president.

Just my two cents. Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone.

Last edited by RosieSD; 05-04-2019 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,904,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah...your title should be Are people too sensitive everywhere. There are a ton of “offended by everything and anything” people everywhere. A lot of them on CD
For the most part, they are pretty thick skinned around here and that's a good thing Still, there are always a percentage anywhere you live in any part of the country who are going to be easily offended by anything you say/do. I am a liberal myself but think that it's gone way too far with the concept of 'safe spaces' and trying to suppress opinions that you don't agree with.

I agree though--the title should have been " Are people in 2019 too sensitive ANYWHERE in the U.S.?"

Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 PM

8,391 posts, read 7,661,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I agree though--the title should have been " Are people in 2019 too sensitive ANYWHERE in the U.S.?"
Actually, the title should have been: "Are people ONLINE too sensitive in 2019"?

Because, I don't see half as many arguments breaking out on the streets as I do on online forums like this.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:09 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,328,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
My head isn’t exploding. It’s quite firmly in place and under control. Meanwhile over 60,000 mental health professionals, psychiatrists, psychologists, and behavioral therapists, have this warning about your hero:

You appear to find humor in people standing up for decency and competence in matters representing and guiding the (formerly) most respected nation in the world. Speaks volumes about you and your ilk. This isn’t an issue of “people in San Diego [being] too sensitive”. So take your vacuous ridicule to the P&OC forum.

Mental health has nothing to do with politics. It’s science.
Oh, please! All those psychologists ( you know that they are not doctors?), mental health care professionals can diagnose someone watching him on tv? Or reading something on social media allegedly authored by that person?
Those “ behavioral therapists” - whose patients never get better, money hungry cast of characters promoting doubtful ideas- lobotomy anyone? “ professionals” that call your everyday human struggles which every generation experienced for millennia - an anxiety disorder, panic disorder, etc, etc and place them on a tax payer financed “ disability”?
There are no healthy people left according to them..
I would say, they need their heads examined...

Old 05-04-2019, 04:28 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,390,742 times
I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Oh, please! All those psychologists ( you know that they are not doctors?), mental health care professionals can diagnose someone watching him on tv? Or reading something on social media allegedly authored by that person?
Those “ behavioral therapists” - whose patients never get better, money hungry cast of characters promoting doubtful ideas- lobotomy anyone? “ professionals” that call your everyday human struggles which every generation experienced for millennia - an anxiety disorder, panic disorder, etc, etc and place them on a tax payer financed “ disability”?
... So says the anonymous internet poster.

Meanwhile: the 60,000 professional petitioners include psychiatrists ... who ARE medical doctors:
Quote:
Psychiatrists and neurologists are medical doctors. People choosing these professions attend medical school after graduating from college.
Quote:
Psychiatrist: Trump admin officials contacted me because president was ‘scaring’ them
BY JUSTIN WISE - 09/06/18 07:11 PM EDT 1,848

Officials from the Trump administration reportedly contacted a Yale University psychiatrist last year because President Trump was "scaring" them.

Dr. Bandy Lee told Salon and the New York Daily News on Thursday that two White House officials flagged Trump's behavior last October.

"[They] said that Trump was 'scaring' them, that he was 'unraveling,'" Lee, who wrote the book "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President,”
Now then, you have an opinion about San Diegans being “too sensitive”?

Old 05-04-2019, 04:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Yep, they need help if that is how the diagnose anyone. It is stupid to use such comments by them as fact.

Note no comment on how mentally stable he may be by me, just how unstable the 60,000 "experts" are.

I suspect enough stable people exist in SD that they are not too sensitive. Not an issue when I lived there.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:00 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,390,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yep, they need help if that is how the diagnose anyone. It is stupid to use such comments by them as fact.

Note no comment on how mentally stable he may be by me, just how unstable the 60,000 "experts" are.

I suspect enough stable people exist in SD that they are not too sensitive. Not an issue when I lived there.
Been through this before with you. Once again, I will refer you to the medical / psychiatrist professionals from Yale, Harvard, et al:
Quote:
A Question of Ethics

Whether or not mental health professionals should discuss, much less diagnose, a person they have not personally interviewed was the conundrum faced by Bandy and other contributors to her book. In the post, "Shrinks Battle Over Diagnosing Donald Trump: Chaos in the White House fuels discord amongst the experts," on January 31, Psychology Today editor-at-large Hara Estroff Marano brought to light “...three significant and intertwined issues. Can Donald Trump or any public figure be deemed to have mental illness, even based on specific, well-publicized criteria reflecting observable behavior? Is it ethical or appropriate for mental health professionals to venture into public acts of diagnosis? Is psychology a suitable instrument for addressing issues of governance?”

In that post, Gartner responds that the current DSM: Version 5 places pathology (the study of the nature of diseases; something abnormal) in the realm of the observable (to watch carefully especially with attention to details or behavior for the purpose of arriving at a judgment).

Gartner speaks for the book contributors as well as the 60,000-plus mental health professionals who signed his petition when he contends that the mental health community has an obligation to protect the public that overrides the Goldwater Rule —we’ve advanced quite a lot in 44 years—and that Trump has proved himself a clear and present danger. Also, the Goldwater Rule is not relevant because it was established before the DSM made diagnosis behaviorally based.
You can question or agree with anonymous posts all you want, of course. I am providing you with verifiable, professional links ...

Now, sensitivity among San Diegans?

Old 05-05-2019, 03:47 PM

447 posts, read 209,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Actually, the title should have been: "Are people ONLINE too sensitive in 2019"?

Because, I don't see half as many arguments breaking out on the streets as I do on online forums like this.

Old 05-06-2019, 04:55 AM

811 posts, read 623,465 times
Great point; CD does not represent the U.S. population accurately.

The amount of hatred and vitriol from the mainstream media and Trump-hating party is telling. Much like children when things don’t go their way or they don’t get what they want, they throw a tantrum. (And I can hear it now: “But it’s your hero throwing the tantrum!” Lol. Again, he’s not my hero, he’s my president and yours.)

This behavior truly establishes intolerance and a fundamental lack of respect for fellow citizens. Is it no wonder some people are thin-skinned and over-sensitive?

Old 05-06-2019, 05:03 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,594,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Not my hero; my president. And yours whether you like it or not. (Absolutely LOVE when people protest: “He’s not MY president!” Well, yes he is if you’re an American citizen. As much as I think the guy before him wrecked this country I could never say with intellectual honesty that “He’s not my president”.

To bring things back I believe anyone who gets offended easily has an overstated opinion of themselves. It’s the sin of thinking of oneself more highly than they should.
Everyone thinks they can do better than the guy currently behind the buck stop here desk. And that position could be anyone from your manager to the CEO to the president basically anyone higher up the ladder than you are. Let’s face it how many times you hear people either criticizing or saying I can do better when talking about some decision from up higher. I hear it at work all the time. Way I see it is if you could do it better you would be in that position. Since you aren’t you obviously can’t do better. It’s easy to armchair quarterback a person or decision.

(Referring to “You” isn’t you personally. It’s a general you)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego