Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 02:04 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Mutt lives on a boat.
He knows. But he doesn’t grasp how military base benefits work. And he just can’t let go of his bone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 02:05 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
He knows. But he doesn’t grasp how military base benefits work. And he just can’t let go of his bone
My brother was in the navy so I do know.

Old 09-27-2018, 11:51 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
No they don’t sav. Apparently you don’t know military bases.

There are boat slips available always to military only, at 3 marinas on bases in the Bay. No civilian use allowed.

Military infrastructure is static. No civilian use allowed.

Consume what resources? Electricity from the local grid? You couldn’t measure the small amount to run a couple light bulbs and charge a computer out of the miltary base uses. Same for the water use. But, if you want to try to be so speciously obtuse, the typical tourist uses more in a couple weeks than our fictitious retiree uses in the 4-5 months a year he stays aboard in town (rest of year he travels out of area).

Store lines? What stores? Most consumables are purchased at low cost at base exchange and commissaries and base gas stations even for the occassional fill up, arriving or departing town.

Local bandwidth and cell towers? Yes. You just fell overboard.

Look. You obviously haven’t been in the military to understand this. And like I have said:

1. Any use is immeasurable and less than a typical tourist in any case

2. Any comparison to developing for hundreds of thousands of new civilian residents is laughably zero.

3. Contributions to general community are very much offsetting to boot.

You need to find a different attack. This dog of yours don’t hunt.
Less than a typical tourist sure but less is still more right? You eat food and expel it right? That gets processed by the local infrastructure no? You have a vehicle and drive occasionally as you stated. Does the military not use any local water resources? Get their food and supplies delivered along "civilian" roads and infrastructure? You don't think all those military bases contribute to the pollution and congestion in the region? Or do they exist in some sort of vacuum?

Quote:
. where I walk or ride my bicycle almost exclusively as I enjoy the selection of stores and food establishments and trails, parks, beaches of Liberty Station, Harbor Island, Shelter Island, Naval Base Pt. Loma, MCRD, Old Town ... etc etc etc. everything I like and need within a couple miles of pedaling, sailing, walking.
How are you not using local amenities, resources, and infrastructure here? Give me a break.

Everyone has an impact, some larger than others but less is still more. Everyone contributes to the CUMULATIVE effects of growth. Volunteering or whatever doesn't erase that no matter what excuses you tell yourself.

Last edited by sav858; 09-27-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-28-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Less than a typical tourist sure but less is still more right? You eat food and expel it right? That gets processed by the local infrastructure no? You have a vehicle and drive occasionally as you stated. Does the military not use any local water resources? Get their food and supplies delivered along "civilian" roads and infrastructure? You don't think all those military bases contribute to the pollution and congestion in the region? Or do they exist in some sort of vacuum?

How are you not using local amenities, resources, and infrastructure here? Give me a break.

Everyone has an impact, some larger than others but less is still more. Everyone contributes to the CUMULATIVE effects of growth. Volunteering or whatever doesn't erase that no matter what excuses you tell yourself.
... and local military consumption is not expanding while it also supports thousands of already existing local civilian employees too ...

Funny how you avoid the thread issues addressed, in favor of personal pedantics that try to measure the undetectable. Sad. Bye.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:24 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,734,363 times
Quote:
No they don’t sav. Apparently you don’t know military bases.

There are boat slips available always to military only, at 3 marinas on bases in the Bay. No civilian use allowed.

Military infrastructure is static. No civilian use allowed.

Consume what resources? Electricity from the local grid? You couldn’t measure the small amount to run a couple light bulbs and charge a computer out of the miltary base uses. Same for the water use. But, if you want to try to be so speciously obtuse, the typical tourist uses more in a couple weeks than our fictitious retiree uses in the 4-5 months a year he stays aboard in town (rest of year he travels out of area).

Store lines? What stores? Most consumables are purchased at low cost at base exchange and commissaries and base gas stations even for the occassional fill up, arriving or departing town.

Local bandwidth and cell towers? Yes. You just fell overboard.

Look. You obviously haven’t been in the military to understand this. And like I have said:

1. Any use is immeasurable and less than a typical tourist in any case

2. Any comparison to developing for hundreds of thousands of new civilian residents is laughably zero.

3. Contributions to general community are very much offsetting to boot.

You need to find a different attack. This dog of yours don’t hunt.
I've never read such nonsense. Why are you pretending that you live on a deserted island in the middle of a major metropolitan area? To think you don't leave an urban footprint is just ridiculous. Unless you grow your own food, use no electricity, have a secret source of water consumption, etc....you are a San Diego resident.

I. Just. Can't.

Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 PM

Now back to the thread topic. Linked from the City vs. City section:

San Diego city has the 5th highest median household income in the country.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-populous.html

Old 09-30-2018, 04:02 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post

The topic was income growth, not actual household income.

Old 09-30-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
I've never read such nonsense. Why are you pretending that you live on a deserted island in the middle of a major metropolitan area? To think you don't leave an urban footprint is just ridiculous. Unless you grow your own food, use no electricity, have a secret source of water consumption, etc....you are a San Diego resident.

I. Just. Can't.
You. Just. Don’t. ... have a clue about military base residencies. We have our own commissaries (food stores) ... no burden whatsoever to local infrastructure. We have our own on-base restaurants from fast food to quality dining, golf courses, bowling alleys, movie theatres, laundromats and dry cleaners, Starbucks, auto licensing offices, beaches, ball fields, marinas, churches, etc.

The military presence in San Diego does not impact urban growth in the slightest because it is not growing itself. It is by nature transient, and fluctuates somewhat up and down constantly. However it is not growing beyond its ‘footprint’ as has been established for many decades. In fact, the military is slightly shrinking.

The military’s use of civilian infrastructure is not growing. At the same time, it IS supporting many thousands of long-term civilian San Diegans and the overall SD economy in very significant measure.

While it used to be that military retirees lived only in civilian real estate - in recent years military housing on some bases has now been opened to renting to retirees. That said, beyond base housing, the scenario we have been discussing here isn’t even base housing, let alone civilian housing. The retiree scenario as discussed is where a live-aboard boat rotates around three military-only recreational marinas. The retiree uses only military facilities and stores and infrastructure.

Since military personnel are always coming and going within the set infrastructure, there is always a flow of vacancies and replacements ... that never exceed the established footprint.

So, yes, it IS very much like living on a deserted island in the middle of the civilian metropolitan landscape. Exactly. And thus, NO, the retiree does NOT add to growth issues and burdens ... unless s/he moves into civilian housing off base. Exactly.

I. Just. Don’t. Get. How. Little. Some. People. Know. About. Military. Life.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:06 PM

782 posts, read 759,032 times
Quote:

Too bad it was Income Growth with Strings Attached.

I read the news on this when it came out, a few stories not local to San Diego went into that fact that it's nothing to be proud of when you figure in the issues everyone is well aware of.
cu
Now back to your regularly schedule programming, Top Gun II filming and Berln's 1986 Hit "Take My Breath Away" making the news.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
The topic was income growth, not actual household income.
Read the link again and you'll see that the article talks about income growth and ties it directly to household incomes. I posted to the chart to show where SD ranks among the country's largest cities. Some people think our salaries are among the lowest in the country, when it isn't true at all. There's no argument about SJ, SF, Seattle and DC always being near the top. Mind you, this is for SD city limits only. When the metro chart is released, SD will probably drop out of the Top 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego