Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 09:59 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,346,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If development is done right, building in already developed urban areas and along transit corridors, it can actually make SD even more desirable and well continue to grow the economy with high income jobs. But yeah some tacky Orange County like sprawl would definitely deteriorate the quality of life.
I understand the theory that development can be done as you say by increasing density along corridors. But I will persist in pointing out that further growth adds nothing of value that SD lacks already. We don’t need to grow the economy. And we don’t need to add more high income jobs that will just drive the housing market ever higher and higher.

Quote:
Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell - Edward Abbey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 10:04 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I understand the theory that development can be done as you say by increasing density along corridors. But I will persist in pointing out that further growth adds nothing of value that SD lacks already. We don’t need to grow the economy. And we don’t need to add more high income jobs that will just drive the housing market ever higher and higher.
SD lacks housing options for many, enough high paying jobs to support the COL, good public transit, and for some a quality urban environment so yeah smarter, better growth could definitely improve SD in ways that its lacking right now. You seem to think all growth is bad, it's not necessarily.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
SD lacks housing options for many, enough high paying jobs to support the COL, good public transit, and for some a quality urban environment so yeah smarter, better growth could definitely improve SD in ways that its lacking right now. You seem to think all growth is bad, it's not necessarily.
You oversimplify my position. I quoted Edward Abbey: “Growth for the sake of growth ...” ... “for the sake of growth” is not the same as “all growth”.

That said: at this point, our entire planet is exponentially past population sustainability as focused on materialistic goals. Furthermore, even were we as a species to suddenly develop the intelligence and character to manage our populations’ needs and desires sustainably ... there is still zero advantage to the numbers ... and psychologically the constraints and accommodations are exhibiting ever increasing neuroses.

Growth is suitable and important under limited parameters defined within sustainable goals. Increasing SD density without subscription to long-term sustainability goals - without infinite growth in our finite parameters - is quite insane.

But then, humanity is quite insanely a runaway cancer of a species.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:26 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,140,888 times
Quote:
If development is done right, building in already developed urban areas and along transit corridors, it can actually make SD even more desirable and well continue to grow the economy with high income jobs. But yeah some tacky Orange County like sprawl would definitely deteriorate the quality of life.
Yeah cuz much of California is not itself sprawl, nothing like that ghetto Concord and further east.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:49 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,533,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmguy View Post
I lived among the rich and not-so-famous of Palo Alto for 50 years and wasn't impressed with the wealth, which was accompanied by a haughty attitude. San Diego, with its laid-back attitude, is much more pleasant. Believe me, having lots of money ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Having money is always nice, very nice actually....but not when you live around other money where everyone knows each other and is competing with one another. There is enough competition in the work place, no need to bring the competition and the stress it brings to where you live.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
You oversimplify my position. I quoted Edward Abbey: “Growth for the sake of growth ...” ... “for the sake of growth” is not the same as “all growth”.

That said: at this point, our entire planet is exponentially past population sustainability as focused on materialistic goals. Furthermore, even were we as a species to suddenly develop the intelligence and character to manage our populations’ needs and desires sustainably ... there is still zero advantage to the numbers ... and psychologically the constraints and accommodations are exhibiting ever increasing neuroses.

Growth is suitable and important under limited parameters defined within sustainable goals. Increasing SD density without subscription to long-term sustainability goals - without infinite growth in our finite parameters - is quite insane.

But then, humanity is quite insanely a runaway cancer of a species.
Well I do think SD's growth plans support sustainability, at least compared to the past and present growth model. SD is going to grow either way, might as well plan for it and I agree in a more sustainable way.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Well I do think SD's growth plans support sustainability, at least compared to the past and present growth model. SD is going to grow either way, might as well plan for it and I agree in a more sustainable way.
In the absence of offsetting reductions, I don’t see how perpetual growth in a finite paradigm can be “sustainable”. But I would be interested to hear how if you can explain. ... Even “... compared to the past and present growth model” perpetual growth without offsets is mathematically impossible.

That said, you are correct SD is going to grow in spite of the lack of wisdom to do so. And you’re right that planning can be applied to make it less catastrophic for a while.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:01 PM

Quote:
In the absence of offsetting reductions, I don’t see how perpetual growth in a finite paradigm can be “sustainable”. But I would be interested to hear how if you can explain. ... Even “... compared to the past and present growth model” perpetual growth without offsets is mathematically impossible.

That said, you are correct SD is going to grow in spite of the lack of wisdom to do so. And you’re right that planning can be applied to make it less catastrophic for a while.
Offsetting and reducing what exactly?

Not sure how you think you can stop growth.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Offsetting and reducing what exactly?

Not sure how you think you can stop growth.
Offsetting population through reductions. You can’t perpetually grow beyond mortality replacement rates unless you move people out. Which you can’t force. Therefore :. growth is not ultimately sustainable.

There are ways to stop growth and even reduce population naturally without restricting births forcibly. Humanity isn’t intelligent enough to pursue reduction though.

There isn’t any way in our democratic republic system to restrict growth by denying access. So, right: it’s not going to stop.

I’m just pointing out the folly of our “perpetual growth for growth’s sake” material culture. It’s my avocation.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:48 PM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
you can stop growth once the city becomes prohibitively expensive and there are few incentives for immigration. It's kind of already happening. I agree there is no reason we have to accomodate growth, that is just the greedy local governments telling us it's some sort of civic duty to keep construction workers employed.

SD is not some growth hotbed, however a lot of it's housing stock is old, in poor repair and unsuitable and many of the people already here are really in bad housing... If our city government actually cared about it's residents, we'd be getting tax incentives to improve our properties instead of being suckered into more apartment density, traffic, trash and noise.

The fact that a lot of the newer and younger people here believe that more housing is going to make property more affordable, tells you something about the collective intelligence of the population, or at least the marketing abilities of developers and government are better than I thought.

I do like the idea of turning places like Midway / Rosecrans into techno-housing for the millenials... they'll love it and nothing is lost, that area is garbage and anything is an improvement.

Last edited by NYSD1995; 09-18-2018 at 09:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego