Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,663,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Yeah, I get that you are referring to a model range, and relative development, compared to uncontrolled past examples. My point is: even 50 years from now, having kicked the can down the road semi-successfully, we’ll be far worse off than if we’d just confront now the pointless damages and stress we continue to manufacture unnecessarily.

None of this development crap we are selling / buying is good for the future. Lousy for the present too, for that matter.
As a region I don't think that is a given or inevitable. You can have better growth that improves the quality of life for a lot of people and makes SD even more desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
All good if that’s what’s important to you. I liked not having to compete with millions of people for basic needs like housing, jobs and transportation and quality schools for my kids. I don’t really care about restaurants, but you're right that has improved a lot since the 90's.

If the city was a big job creator that needed housing to accommodate it's growing workforce, it would make more sense to me, but it seems like we have been conditioned to believe that we *need* to accommodate everyone who wants to live here, no matter who they are, spare almost no expense to do so, regardless on the impact on the environment or the quality of life of the people who already do.
When you moved here San Diego already had millions of people though. You basically helped contribute to the problem you're complaining about.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:06 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
So what's the alternative? No growth and a stagnant economy? You're obviously retired with that mentality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
With this thinking, why not live in a less developed place? You're obviously not a city person.
I am retired. I have had this mentality since I got out of service career about 30 years ago and continued on with my second civilian career. I am a minimalist by nature. I do not derive my pleasures and satisfactions in life by material acquisitions.

Not sure why my attitude makes me “not a city person” in your mind. I didn’t complain about living in the city. I pointed out the flaws of perpetual development and growth. Personally, I live now part time in the city - and love it. And I live part time out and about away from cities - and I love it.

If you love ceaseless development, why don’t you move to places that are clearly positioned for that future?

Old 09-19-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
As a region I don't think that is a given or inevitable. You can have better growth that improves the quality of life for a lot of people and makes SD even more desirable.
Hmmm ... the fly in your soup is “improves the quality of life for a lot of people ” ... which leaves the door open for me to insert “destroys the quality of life for a lot of people” as well. Desirable for some. Undesirable for others.

In the end, though, the long-term need to confront the pointlessness and impossibility of perpetual growth - is worsened. Conditioning is hard to throw off. The deeper we go into the rabbit hole, the harder it is to find the route out ... both environmentally and psychologically.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
When you moved here San Diego already had millions of people though. You basically helped contribute to the problem you're complaining about.
So what? Doesn’t change the truth of the situation. That’s just throwing personal shade at an individual - when a total cultural shift is required.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Hmmm ... the fly in your soup is “improves the quality of life for a lot of people ” ... which leaves the door open for me to insert “destroys the quality of life for a lot of people” as well. Desirable for some. Undesirable for others.

In the end, though, the long-term need to confront the pointlessness and impossibility of perpetual growth - is worsened. Conditioning is hard to throw off. The deeper we go into the rabbit hole, the harder it is to find the route out ... both environmentally and psychologically.
Yeah and that is why I said "for a lot of people" instead of everyone, clearly implying it won't for some others. The difference is your no growth/shut the door behind you is more unrealistic so if there is growth I'd rather it being better and smart.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
So what? Doesn’t change the truth of the situation. That’s just throwing personal shade at an individual - when a total cultural shift is required.
The truth of the situation that you and others that moved to region, which already had millions of people when you did, also contributed to the growth problem? Yes I know and it's hypocritical. Really the only ones that have a legitimate right to complain are those born in the region that really didn't have a say in the matter. Why are you complaining about others moving here when that's exactly what you did? That's not "shade", just the truth of the situation certain people don't want to admit.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Yeah and that is why I said "for a lot of people" instead of everyone, clearly implying it won't for some others. The difference is your no growth/shut the door behind you is more unrealistic so if there is growth I'd rather it being better and smart.
It is unrealistic to expect human nature to be intelligent enough to recognize its foolishness. I have no such expectations. Just observations

Old 09-19-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
The truth of the situation that you and others that moved to region, which already had millions of people when you did, also contributed to the growth problem? Yes I know and it's hypocritical. Really the only ones that have a legitimate right to complain are those born in the region that really didn't have a say in the matter. Why are you complaining about others moving here when that's exactly what you did? That's not "shade", just the truth of the situation certain people don't want to admit.
Anyone has a perfect right to make observations about species stupidities.

As I have said before: demanding individuals take broad responsibility for cultural and species-wide failing is a strawman position. I do take personal responsibility as far as an individual reasonably can through my lifestyle choices.

That said, I was originally brought to San Diego by Uncle Sam when I was 18-19, to serve the nation in armed forces. That was 1966, bro. Yes, I moved around California since then and have only returned in the past 4 years, to enjoy the benefits -particularly those afforded military retirees in a city deeply populated by military and facilities. Pretty sure I earned my place ... including under fire for a few years.

Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 AM

381 posts, read 344,792 times
Ah, Tulemutt was brought here against his will and has determined himself to be worthy of migrating to SD. Not like those lesser people that want to live here.

In all seriousness, thank you for your service. Your post though does reek of self importance and entitlement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego