Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 04:12 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,134,001 times

Advertisements

After living in the Los Angeles suburbs for 30 years, we got tired of the heat, smog, and overcrowded freeways, malls and everything. We retired to San Diego finally. No regrets at all. This is quite perfect compared to that mess. I guess it depends on your perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2019, 10:53 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyGlover View Post
Sorry if what I wrote was misunderstood...The flashing light happened when I was in the far right lane (the slow lane) the person behind me did not want to go around me.

As far as driving slow on the left lane (faster lane) I agree.

I think that may be a California thing. I use to live in Nor Cal but moved to AZ last year. I RARELY get tailgated while I drive in the slower lanes. They just pass me up in the faster lane, if they want to drive faster than me. But when I return to California, whether Northern or Southern, I do notice that some drivers do not want to go around slower traffic; it's really baffling. However, I do notice that in AZ, people drive the appropriate speeds on the freeway; the slower traffic stays to the right and faster traffic move on the left. I rarely see a driver drive "slow" in the fastest lane. You do have that knucklehead that does not have a problem slowing down traffic in the fast lane, but those *******s are very far and few in between in AZ, at least on the freeways that I drive in the Valley.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:21 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Yes, very good point. Even in SF proper, only ten percent of people work in tech. In many outlying cities, it's far less. And not everyone in tech earns liquid stock options. That's only a small number of people accumulate the additional wealth needed to get into the market. The issue with housing construction, there and in SD, is land availability. We happen to live in a beautiful state and don't want to destroy our beauty just for mass housing, because it's an important part of our quality of life. So we need to build denser urban housing. But then, people complain about that destroying the character of their towns. So we end up with nothing.

Where I hope we can see future housing is in places that are already developed but underutilized and unattractive, like low density, older warehouse or commercial areas like you find in Miramar, Mira Mesa, or in the Bay Area in places like Concord, Hayward, San Leandro, Vallejo, etc. Redevelop housing there, close to the urban core. In SD, there will be a huge project like this in the future, between Sorrento Valley and Mira Mesa. Much better than ruining our bucolic countryside and driving people farther and farther from jobs.
Yes, that's a valid point about using unattractive and underutilized areas for new housing. I just don't think it will be enough to keep a lid on price increases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I'm actually thinking that California's high speed rail, which I think is insanely expensive, is really not being designed for people to take a train between SF and LA, which is slower and more expensive than a flight, but to develop mass housing in the San Joaquin Valley so people can commute to either area from points in between. With both gubernatorial candidates promoting millions of new housing units, I foresee the train corridor as the catalyst for that growth.
Yes, it is insanely expensive.

As for your statement on high speed rail that I bolded --a coworker of mine said the exact same thing. She believes it was the real goal all along and I concur. I added that it fits in with U.N. Agenda 21 (now renamed 2030). We're not supposed to know the U.N. is pushing the same standardized urban planning throughout the world, but it is.

Old 03-06-2019, 03:23 PM

50,315 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
I think that may be a California thing. I use to live in Nor Cal but moved to AZ last year. I RARELY get tailgated while I drive in the slower lanes. They just pass me up in the faster lane, if they want to drive faster than me. But when I return to California, whether Northern or Southern, I do notice that some drivers do not want to go around slower traffic; it's really baffling. However, I do notice that in AZ, people drive the appropriate speeds on the freeway; the slower traffic stays to the right and faster traffic move on the left. I rarely see a driver drive "slow" in the fastest lane. You do have that knucklehead that does not have a problem slowing down traffic in the fast lane, but those *******s are very far and few in between in AZ, at least on the freeways that I drive in the Valley.
What we get here is people that like to pass on the right while speeding, especially big rigs and people towing. This is extremely dangerous but that doesn't faze them one bit. The lane most truckers use is one lane over from the enter/exit lane and cars will regularly pass on the right even if they constantly get cut off by merging traffic.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 PM

111 posts, read 74,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
interested in hearing your views

San Diego has run its course. Now it’s just another city. I was born and raised there, when I retired, we left for peace and quiet. What has happened in San Diego since my birth?

Mission Valley was developed, it was mostly dairy farms when I was born.

With the exception of Bonita, no one lives south of what is now the 54 or east of the 805. What is now the Eastlake area was fam land and dirt bike city until the 1990s.

Mira Mesa didn’t exist until the 1980s.

The 15 north of the stadium was a divided highway. Every bridge that crosses the 15 today from Aero Drive to north of Mira Mesa was an intersection. Tierrasanta Blvd was notorious for horrific accidents.

You didn’t go downtown unless you were looking for hookers. Now you don’t go unless you’re looking to hook up. Same thing, different money. It’s also a crowded mess now with homeless taking dumps in the street.

The airport. Should have been moved half a dozen times. To Miramar. They’ll pay for that soon when it runs out of capacity.

Only a handful of people lived in Alpine.

Escondido was a gas stop, Temecula was a post office and that didn’t change much until the 1990s. Winchester Road was a short cut to Palm Springs.

What’s the 67?

The 125 from the 8 to Santee was residential. They destroyed entire neighborhoods to build that. Bravo!

Worst traffic? The 94. Total disaster. I-8 was brand new and you could do 60 at rush hour.

Why did we leave? I think half of New York moved in. Drivers are terrible. People are rude. With very few natives left, no one has any care for what made the city what it was. Quaint areas like Little Italy are being completely wrecked by development. Some almost despise the small town feel, which is what set San Diego part from LA. Even the “rough” neighborhoods weren’t rough. We never wanted to be LA and the only thing stopping it from becoming a suburb of LA now, like a Orange County has become, is Camp Pendleton. Anyone who thinks San Diego is great now has no concept of what it was like 50+ years ago. Today, the only thing it has going for it is good weather. Thanks, but no thanks, we’ll take the four seasons we have now coupled with peace and quiet. The people that jacked up San Diego can have it.

Old 03-19-2019, 07:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,265,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger09 View Post
San Diego has run its course. Now it’s just another city. I was born and raised there, when I retired, we left for peace and quiet. What has happened in San Diego since my birth?

With the exception of Bonita, no one lives south of what is now the 54 or east of the 805. What is now the Eastlake area was fam land and dirt bike city until the 1990s.

The 15 north of the stadium was a divided highway. Every bridge that crosses the 15 today from Aero Drive to north of Mira Mesa was an intersection. Tierrasanta Blvd was notorious for horrific accidents.

You didn’t go downtown unless you were looking for hookers. Now you don’t go unless you’re looking to hook up. Same thing, different money. It’s also a crowded mess now with homeless taking dumps in the street.

The airport. Should have been moved half a dozen times. To Miramar. They’ll pay for that soon when it runs out of capacity.

Escondido was a gas stop, Temecula was a post office and that didn’t change much until the 1990s. Winchester Road was a short cut to Palm Springs.

What’s the 67?

The 125 from the 8 to Santee was residential. They destroyed entire neighborhoods to build that. Bravo!

Worst traffic? The 94. Total disaster. I-8 was brand new and you could do 60 at rush hour.

Why did we leave? I think half of New York moved in. Drivers are terrible. People are rude. With very few natives left, no one has any care for what made the city what it was. Quaint areas like Little Italy are being completely wrecked by development. Some almost despise the small town feel, which is what set San Diego part from LA. Even the “rough” neighborhoods weren’t rough. We never wanted to be LA and the only thing stopping it from becoming a suburb of LA now, like a Orange County has become, is Camp Pendleton. Anyone who thinks San Diego is great now has no concept of what it was like 50+ years ago. Today, the only thing it has going for it is good weather. Thanks, but no thanks, we’ll take the four seasons we have now coupled with peace and quiet. The people that jacked up San Diego can have it.
Right on. I left after six long years. I was from buffalo. Where did you relocate

Old 03-19-2019, 07:49 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:

What’s the 67?

Where is this peaceful and quiet, bad weathered, but four seasoned place you know reside, honeybadger09 ?

Old 03-19-2019, 08:36 PM

111 posts, read 74,481 times
30 acres in the Midwest.

I left off that the city unused to be safe for cycling. I don’t care how many bike lanes they build, drivers don’t care anymore.

And they let the inmates run the asylum on Football pushing for a downtown site when they should have built a new facility in Mission Valley. I mean seriously, the forever horrid Padres got a new stadium that they can’t fill up except for opening day, but the Chargers can’t? Really San Diego?

Last edited by Badger09; 03-19-2019 at 08:46 PM..

Old 03-19-2019, 09:57 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,937,427 times
Quote:
30 acres in the Midwest.

I left off that the city unused to be safe for cycling. I don’t care how many bike lanes they build, drivers don’t care anymore.

And they let the inmates run the asylum on Football pushing for a downtown site when they should have built a new facility in Mission Valley. I mean seriously, the forever horrid Padres got a new stadium that they can’t fill up except for opening day, but the Chargers can’t? Really San Diego?
are you buds or related to the Topper

Old 03-20-2019, 08:26 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,459,101 times
The biggest downside is all the trolls it attracts on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego